Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Daniel O'Connor

Hey folks,
Another mapper, Pierce, has pointed out https://data.gov.au/dataset/ballarat-3d-buildings is available.

From a cursory review, the data seems to be similar to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geelong_Building_Import - also CC BY A 3.0, and I think covered by the existing data.gov.au explicit permission.

The data mostly offers a building footprint (shape) and a height attribute in metres; about 44,000 buildings - call it about 44? mapping hours to merge, import a small batch, run validations, review, upload?

I'm not a Ballarat local, but it is a heavily mapped town with substantial existing buildings - many of these would gain height data.

1) Are people interested in an import like this?
2) Are there locals who can help spot check the data against local knowledge, to assess how accurate it is before any import; and after?

Re: Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Andrew Harvey-3
I think that now OSMF published their guidance on using CC BY data in
OSM, https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/ we
should strive to obtain these waivers as much as possible going
forward over the legacy permissions.

I'm interested in an import like this, again done properly.

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 03:52, Daniel O'Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
> Another mapper, Pierce, has pointed out https://data.gov.au/dataset/ballarat-3d-buildings is available.
>
> From a cursory review, the data seems to be similar to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geelong_Building_Import - also CC BY A 3.0, and I think covered by the existing data.gov.au explicit permission.
>
> The data mostly offers a building footprint (shape) and a height attribute in metres; about 44,000 buildings - call it about 44? mapping hours to merge, import a small batch, run validations, review, upload?
>
> I'm not a Ballarat local, but it is a heavily mapped town with substantial existing buildings - many of these would gain height data.
>
> 1) Are people interested in an import like this?
> 2) Are there locals who can help spot check the data against local knowledge, to assess how accurate it is before any import; and after?

Re: Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Daniel O'Connor
I've started https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ballarat_Building_Import ; will capture all of the various TODOs there shortly

Re: Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Andrew Davidson-3
The old data.gov.au permission is no longer sufficient to use a dataset in OSM. The first thing you are going to have to do is approach the Council and get them to sign the wavier.