Buildings in DR Congo

john whelan-2
I'm seeing a fair number of duplicates.

#hotosm-project-4696
and

#hotosm-project-4708

appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Cheerio John

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

pierzen
Hi John,

Thanks to report these errors.

I participate to the Coordination with Claire Halleux and OSM-DRC for this Ebola outbreak. We have noticed yesterday morning that a few tasking jobs were created and massive mapping done on friday.

The task jobs 4696, 4697 and 4708 were created with no prior discussion on any list and no contact of the Coordination team. As you mention, they overlap. They also overlap with previous Ebola Outbreak jobs created by the OSM-DRC.

No validation was done while this activity was going on. Yesterday morning, I contacted the Job's creator via his OSM account and we wait for an answer. Meanwhile, I have archived the tasks with a note in the title.

Looking at tasks created, we can see that they were created by a by an OSM participant to the Hotosm Tanzania Mini Grids Project and that contributors of this project did map these Ebola tasks.

Looking on Tweeter,  an Ebola Mapathon is reported (see https://twitter.com/RamaniHuria/status/1005052619109396482) and there

Neis Statistics show a high volume of data edited for these jobs.
Job    contributors    Objects
4696    74                76,083
4697      4                    541
4708    71              170,744

We have to remember that this OSM Response for the Ebola outbreak is to support adequately the humanitarian organizations working in very difficult conditions in the field. Villages are dispersed in a large area with often no access roads.

We have to be carefull about the data produced by the Global OSM community.
In this context, organizers of Mapathons, should take the responsabily to communicate with the Coordination Team and assure to produce data of quality.

It is important that the organizers of the mapathon come, discuss and propose ways to validate, correct these errors.

regard

Pierre

Le dimanche 10 juin 2018 08 h 36 min 48 s HAE, john whelan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I'm seeing a fair number of duplicates.

#hotosm-project-4696
and

#hotosm-project-4708

appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Cheerio John

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

russell.deffner

Hi John,

Both of those are archived, so there should not be any (further) conflict/overlap.

=Russ

appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Cheerio John

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

Henning Bolz
Hello Pierre, Hello Russell,

i understand there are about 250000 Objects edited in the ebola AOI without any validation??!
They will contain a certain amount of errors. What can be done to find and correct these?

As TM is not available for validation, maybe the three task areas can be used for manual search.

Cheers
Henning (hebolz)

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

Blake Girardot
Hi Henning,

Russ and myself are looking a bit more into this as well.

My initial review of a few of the areas shows that it is quite typical
mapping, mostly buildings being added so I expect mostly the same sort
of issues that are typical with building mapping. But it was also done
by a group of pretty experienced mappers so probably less issues than
usual.

Since they are fully mapped at this point, it might make sense to
re-activate them for validation and restrict the validation to
experienced validators.

We could share the areas of the projects outside of the tasking
manager, but that might lead to more issues with multiple people
reviewing and fixing on their own.

Thank you very much for helping Henning!

cheers
blake

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 5:02 PM, Henning Bolz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> conditions in the field. Villages are dispersed in a large area with often
> no access roads.
>
> We have to be carefull about the data produced by the Global OSM community.
> In this context, organizers of Mapathons, should take the responsabily to
> communicate with the Coordination Team and assure to produce data of
> quality.
>
> It is important that the organizers of the mapathon come, discuss and
> propose ways to validate, correct these errors.
>
> regard
>
> Pierre
>

> Le dimanche 10 juin 2018 08 h 36 min 48 s HAE, john whelan
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> I'm seeing a fair number of duplicates.
>
> #hotosm-project-4696
> and
>
> #hotosm-project-4708
>
> appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

Blake Girardot
Hi all,

In looking at the duplicate building issue specifically.

Over the entire area of the three projects listed, I find 185,000 buildings

Of those, I find 500 are duplicates, which will be pretty quick and
easy to remove.

I am going to work on removing those now, so that item will be
resolved. Should not take too long, will let this list know when I am
done.

Cheers,
blake

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 7:09 PM, Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> conditions in the field. Villages are dispersed in a large area with often
>> no access roads.
>>
>> We have to be carefull about the data produced by the Global OSM community.
>> In this context, organizers of Mapathons, should take the responsabily to
>> communicate with the Coordination Team and assure to produce data of
>> quality.
>>
>> It is important that the organizers of the mapathon come, discuss and
>> propose ways to validate, correct these errors.
>>
>> regard
>>
>> Pierre
>>

>> Le dimanche 10 juin 2018 08 h 36 min 48 s HAE, john whelan
>> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>> I'm seeing a fair number of duplicates.
>>
>> #hotosm-project-4696
>> and
>>
>> #hotosm-project-4708
>>
>> appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

john whelan-2

Some nice person wrote me a small JOSM script.

You need runscript plugin for JOSM and the todo list.

The way I work is to use an offline version of the area and find the duplicates.  Then I take a village at a time that contains duplicates and redownload the small area to have a fresh version since its deleting things and you don't want two deletions of the building.  Run the script and use to todo list to check each one.  Repeat for another area.

I agree about the 500 duplicate figure its just tedious doing them one at a time and if this can be avoided it gives us more amping resources for somewhere else.  I have tagged more than a hundred untagged buildings with a HOT tag line in the area as well.

Cheerio John

On 10 June 2018 at 13:19, Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> conditions in the field. Villages are dispersed in a large area with often
>> no access roads.
>>
>> We have to be carefull about the data produced by the Global OSM community.
>> In this context, organizers of Mapathons, should take the responsabily to
>> communicate with the Coordination Team and assure to produce data of
>> quality.
>>
>> It is important that the organizers of the mapathon come, discuss and
>> propose ways to validate, correct these errors.
>>
>> regard
>>
>> Pierre
>>

>> Le dimanche 10 juin 2018 08 h 36 min 48 s HAE, john whelan
>> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>> I'm seeing a fair number of duplicates.
>>
>> #hotosm-project-4696
>> and
>>
>> #hotosm-project-4708
>>
>> appear to overlap.  I'm unable to reach either on the tasking manager.

Re: Buildings in DR Congo

Blake Girardot

> I am going to work on removing those now, so that item will be
> resolved. Should not take too long, will let this list know when I am
> done.

Ok, for those project areas all the duplicated and overlapping
buildings have been corrected.

Cheers
Blake

Re: Buildings in DR Congo