Buildings in residential areas (is_in_filter)

Buildings in residential areas (is_in_filter)

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

picking up this thread:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q1/026079.html

I've now done some experiments with this approach:
- Collect all shapes after style processing
- Collect those shapes added to the map with tag landuse=residential and build a fake BoundaryQuadTree by adding those ways as admin_level=10 boundary.
- For each shape (or each with type 0x13) check if the BoundaryQuadTree returns a "location" with admin_level=10. If so, the shape is considered to lie
inside a residential area and may be removed.

The performance is no problem, these computations are performed in < 1s and the removal safes time later.
I've tried with the default style with a map for Niedersachsen and got a size reduction of
154MB -> 133MB
(I guess we have add some more MB when we draw the residential areas at res 24 instead).

So, what we need now is a useful user interface for this function.
Possible:
- a new special tag mkgmap:remove-if-in-residential=true which tells mkgmap the objects to remove
(do we need that for POI or lines as well? )
- a new special tag mkgmap:treat-as-residential=true for to tell mkgmap that a shape with that tag should be considered
as a residential area , maybe not needed since you might add landuse=residential as well.

I don't think that this simple function can be used to solve the routing problems, this would require a lot more logic.

What do you think?

Gerd

Re: Buildings in residential areas (is_in_filter)

popej
Hi Gerd,

if you use procedures for boundaries, then apply the same user interface
- add a tag for objects inside area. This could be for example
"mkgmap:residential". It could contain area name as a value with a
default like "residential" or "yes".

While I doubt if landuse=residential is mapped well enough to be useful,
I suggest to make this feature universal and include all objects, points
and lines too.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Buildings in residential areas (is_in_filter)

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

okay, sounds reasonable. I have to see where to do the calculations when it happens before style processing...