CPAD data conflict

K C

CPAD data conflict

K C
At this url you will find https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/167183262#map=13/-34.9968/118.0026, It shows a protected area called Mount Marvin Botanical Park.
The reality is that the boundary follows the CPAD data representing Gull Rock National Park. Contained within the boundary there is a unamed reserve which I suspect is the said Botanical Park.

Name=Unnamed WA33308
Description=Unknown Area Type
Geometry=2622 vertices, Perimeter: 9.87 km, Area: 3.99 sq km
Map Name=SOUTH WEST.SHP
LAYER=Unknown Area Type
PA_ID=WA_33308
NAME=Unnamed WA33308
TYPE=5(1)(h) Reserve

Should I draw the CPAD data as it is and move the boundary depicting the park to the above reserve area. I am quite positive that is the correct way

Re: CPAD data conflict

cleary
Where there is conflicting information, it is good to go back to sources.  In this instance, it might be prudent to contact the mapper and ask for the source of the data for this edit.

Currently, this particular contribution appears to have no disclosed source. In such a case (and unless the mapper can clarify the source), an authorised and credible source such as CAPAD should be preferred.  The boundary for the real or imagined Botanic Park is not the same as the CAPAD boundary for Gull Rock National Park.  If we have no source for the Botanic Park (wherever it is located), then I'm not sure it should be shown at all - until someone surveys the area or some authorised data source is available.

I have noticed that some armchair mappers from other countries seem to be adding unsourced data to the map of Australia - we need to ask them to clarify their sources, if available. I have found it particularly galling when a contribution, which has been personally surveyed, is modified by someone in another country using an unidentified data source. My strategy has been to contact the mappers and ask about data sources. Hopefully, if queried sufficiently often, they will stop doing it.

On Wed, May 16, 2018, at 9:14 AM, K C wrote:
At this url you will find https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/167183262#map=13/-34.9968/118.0026, It shows a protected area called Mount Marvin Botanical Park.
The reality is that the boundary follows the CPAD data representing Gull Rock National Park. Contained within the boundary there is a unamed reserve which I suspect is the said Botanical Park.

Name=Unnamed WA33308
Description=Unknown Area Type
Geometry=2622 vertices, Perimeter: 9.87 km, Area: 3.99 sq km
Map Name=SOUTH WEST.SHP
LAYER=Unknown Area Type
PA_ID=WA_33308
NAME=Unnamed WA33308
TYPE=5(1)(h) Reserve

Should I draw the CPAD data as it is and move the boundary depicting the park to the above reserve area. I am quite positive that is the correct way

Re: CPAD data conflict

Andrew Davidson-3
According to this:

https://www.conservation.wa.gov.au/media/26581/albany%20coast%20parks%20and%20reserves%20management%20plan%202017.pdf

Res 33308 is Mt Martin reserve. However when I look at the CAPAD2016
data it is not in the Gull Rock NP (https://ibb.co/mnHcgJ).

As a side note: I recently saw a changeset comment to the effect that
reserves in WA were gazetted down to the High Water Mark. Turns out
that's not necessarily universal.