Call for GSoC 2019 project ideas

Tordanik
Hi all,

I would like to invite the OSM community – and particularly developers
of open source software from the OSM ecosystem – to add project ideas
for Google Summer of Code 2019 to the wiki:

https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2019/Project_ideas

During GSoC, university students receive stipends from Google and spend
a couple months contributing to FOSS projects. Students are mentored by
more experienced contributors during that time. And while students
aren't restricted to the suggested project ideas, most end up picking
something from that list.

OSM has successfully participated as a mentoring organization in Google
Summer of Code for over a decade, and members of the Engineering Working
Group are currently working on the application for this year. We hope to
have at least some content on the ideas page by the application deadline
(Wednesday – see https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
for the full timeline), but of course you'll be able to edit your
project ideas and add more of them afterwards, too.

GSoC is always an opportunity for FOSS projects to attract new
developers and get some cool features implemented, so I hope to see a
lot activity again this year!

Tobias

Re: Call for GSoC 2019 project ideas

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson
I've added two ideas, one relates to iD editor and that one would require a mentor other than myself.

2. febrúar 2019 kl. 16:41, skrifaði "Tobias Knerr" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to invite the OSM community – and particularly developers
> of open source software from the OSM ecosystem – to add project ideas
> for Google Summer of Code 2019 to the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2019/Project_ideas

Re: Call for GSoC 2019 project ideas

Sarang Grover
Hi OSM community,
I am Sarang Grover. I am currently pursuing Masters in Science in
Software Engineering from San Jose State University, California. I am
member of OSM community since 2015. I tried to participate in GSOC
2015 in my final year of under graduation. Since I am back to school
this year, I wish to full-fill my dream of participating in GSOC this
year. I went through the project ideas and I am interested in a few
projects. I wanted to enquire can I apply under OSM now or are the
students been selected already. I really want to utilize my summer
participating in this program and improving my skills and contributing
to OSM.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
Sarang Grover

http://saranggrover4488.wordpress.com

Re: Call for GSoC 2019 project ideas

Tordanik
Hi Sarang,

at the moment, we do not yet know whether OSM will be a GSoC mentoring
organization this year, as Google's selection of organizations won't be
announced until February 26.

So there's still ample time for you to apply: Student applications for
this year's program will open in late March, although you're very
welcome to start talking to potential mentors before then! See the full
timeline on the official GSoC page:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline

Yours,
Tobias

On 18.02.19 04:06, Sarang Grover wrote:

> Hi OSM community,
> I am Sarang Grover. I am currently pursuing Masters in Science in
> Software Engineering from San Jose State University, California. I am
> member of OSM community since 2015. I tried to participate in GSOC
> 2015 in my final year of under graduation. Since I am back to school
> this year, I wish to full-fill my dream of participating in GSOC this
> year. I went through the project ideas and I am interested in a few
> projects. I wanted to enquire can I apply under OSM now or are the
> students been selected already. I really want to utilize my summer
> participating in this program and improving my skills and contributing
> to OSM.
> Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sarang Grover
>
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 17:15, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've added two ideas, one relates to iD editor and that one would require a mentor other than myself.
>>
>> 2. febrúar 2019 kl. 16:41, skrifaði "Tobias Knerr" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to invite the OSM community – and particularly developers
>>> of open source software from the OSM ecosystem – to add project ideas
>>> for Google Summer of Code 2019 to the wiki:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2019/Project_ideas

Re: Call for GSoC 2019 project ideas

Jaro Rodriq
Greetings all.
   I'm Fongang Rodrique a first-year student in University of Buea. Cameroon. I joined this dev list not long ago. I just wish to express my interest in participating in this year's GSoc program under OSM. I went through the project ideas and found some interesting ones.
Hope OSM gets to take part.
Thanks!