Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Gertrud Simson
Hi,
there were constantly made improvements in the last years for better
hidpi support in JOSM. Since the newest JOSM tested version 17013 all
internal icons are in svg (except Potlatch2 mappaint style icons).
However most plugins still use png icons.
This is a call to all plugin authors to follow and to transform all
icons of your JOSM plugins to svg (or reuse core icons if suitable are
available). You don't want your pixelated icons stand out between the
sharp core icons ;)
I recommend to clean your svgs with svgcleaner to keep the plugin jar
file size small.

Regards,
Stefa

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Marián Kyral

Hi,

I'm working on it, but it doesn't work. I've made svg icons, updated code,
but image is not shown in josm.

Menu icon, cursor, preferences - no icon shown - only blank space :-(

What I'm doing wrong?

https://github.com/mkyral/josm-pointInfo/commit/74974527d5ce1bcd83c4eb265dc
81c3279fd7bcc

Thanks.

Marián

---------- Původní e-mail ----------

"

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Gertrud Simson
Hello,

text in svgs can be problematic and might be displayed differently e.g.
on different os.

To be safe I suggest to convert the text to a path. (In inkscape menu
Path -> Object to Path)

Regards,

Stefan

Am 14.09.2020 um 21:24 schrieb Marián Kyral:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on it, but it doesn't work. I've made svg icons, updated code,
> but image is not shown in josm.
>
> Menu icon, cursor, preferences - no icon shown - only blank space :-(
>

> What I'm doing wrong?
>

> https://github.com/mkyral/josm-pointInfo/commit/74974527d5ce1bcd83c4eb265dc
> 81c3279fd7bcc
>

> Thanks.
>
> Marián

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Marián Kyral

It is much better now. Still not perfect, but I will tune it.

Thanks,

Marian

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Komu: josm-dev <[hidden email]>
Datum: 14. 9. 2020 21:56:02
Předmět: Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM
"Hello,

text in svgs can be problematic and might be displayed differently e.g.
on different os.

To be safe I suggest to convert the text to a path. (In inkscape menu
Path -> Object to Path)

Regards,

Stefan

Am 14.09.2020 um 21:24 schrieb Marián Kyral:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on it, but it doesn't work. I've made svg icons, updated code,

> but image is not shown in josm.
>
> Menu icon, cursor, preferences - no icon shown - only blank space :-(
>

> What I'm doing wrong?
>

> https://github.com/mkyral/josm-pointInfo/commit/74974527d5ce1bcd83c4eb265
dc
> 81c3279fd7bcc
>

> Thanks.
>
> Marián

"

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Dirk Stöcker
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, Marián Kyral wrote:

> It is much better now. Still not perfect, but I will tune it.

Note than in the source code like for png it is a good idea to not add the
svg exension. JOSM automagically handles that.

Ciao
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Marián Kyral

Yes,

I know, I've investigated the code, when I tried to make it work. Now I need
design a better icon for cursor modifier. My current attempt looks ugly :-(

Marián

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]>
Komu: [hidden email]
Datum: 15. 9. 2020 8:21:15

"

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Dirk Stöcker
Hello,

> I know, I've investigated the code, when I tried to make it work. Now I need
> design a better icon for cursor modifier. My current attempt looks ugly :-(

Welcome in the club. That's usually the case when programmers design
icons. :-)

Note from experience: For small sizes the SVGs must be properly aligned
e.g. regarding position and size of the lines or otherwise it looks bad.
The script in josm scripts directory also allows to check for some common
issues in SVGs which josm does not like.

Ciao
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Gertrud Simson

cursor rendering is special and different from all other icons. E.g.
pixels which are partly black and partly transparent turn into full
black instead of grey, even if the black touches just a tiny bit of the
pixel. Thats why it can easily look ugly.

Regards.

Am 15.09.2020 um 08:48 schrieb Marián Kyral:
> Now I need
> design a better icon for cursor modifier. My current attempt looks ugly :-(

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Johannes Singler

the SVG icons look brilliant on a hidpi screen indeed :-)  Thanks a lot
for the efforts.

Johannes

Am 12.09.2020 um 16:56 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
> there were constantly made improvements in the last years for better
> hidpi support in JOSM. Since the newest JOSM tested version 17013 all
> internal icons are in svg (except Potlatch2 mappaint style icons).
> However most plugins still use png icons.
> This is a call to all plugin authors to follow and to transform all
> icons of your JOSM plugins to svg (or reuse core icons if suitable are
> available). You don't want your pixelated icons stand out between the
> sharp core icons ;)
> I recommend to clean your svgs with svgcleaner to keep the plugin jar
> file size small.
>
> Regards,
> Stefa

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Marián Kyral

Thanks.

Now I'm more or less happy with current look.

Now I want commit my changes and publish new plugin version. But I'm quite
confused with current status after latest repo switch.

Can I ask for svn (or git) access to pointInfo plugin? Or I have to create
ticket with patch?

Thanks,

Marián

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]>
Komu: [hidden email]
Datum: 15. 9. 2020 9:26:36
"Hello,

(

"

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Dirk Stöcker
Hello,

> Can I ask for svn (or git) access to pointInfo plugin? Or I have to create
> ticket with patch?

Can you please try (with your JOSM account). Should work now.

Ciao
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

JOSM Development mailing list

Is there a JOSM icon style guide? What elements should be used to depict
different actions? E.g. I want to express move, that would be crossed
arrows like in the move map mode icon, right? Arrows in all directions
is zoom in/out or full screen. Do colors have a meaning? What are
recommended page sizes for map mode icons and menu icons?

Are there recommended icon sets that can be used as reference and that
have the right license to copy items?

Thanks,
Holger

Am 11.10.2020 um 18:09 schrieb Holger Mappt via josm-dev:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a JOSM icon style guide? What elements should be used to depict
> different actions? E.g. I want to express move, that would be crossed
> arrows like in the move map mode icon, right? Arrows in all directions
> is zoom in/out or full screen. Do colors have a meaning?

There is not such a written guide about elements/colors. But some things
are obvious, like green color of download/upload arrows or the red nodes
in the Tools menu. (The core icons have evolved over the years so they
are not consistent in all cases/details either.)

> What are
> recommended page sizes for map mode icons and menu icons?
For map view icons 16px, for gui icons usually 24px (which is the size
in the toolbar).

> Are there recommended icon sets that can be used as reference and that
> have the right license to copy items?

A lot of core gui icons are based on tango
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tango_icons) and gnome
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Desktop_icons) icon sets. The
most core icons are GPL or PD licensed so they should easily be used in
a plugin. More information about icons licenses see the icons section in
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/CONTRIBUTION

More useful information about icons in JOSM see
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/DefaultPresets#NewIcons

Best Regards

Stefan

Am 15.10.2020 um 15:31 schrieb [hidden email]:
 > Hello,
 >
 > Am 11.10.2020 um 18:09 schrieb Holger Mappt via josm-dev:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> Is there a JOSM icon style guide? What elements should be used to depict
 >> different actions? E.g. I want to express move, that would be crossed
 >> arrows like in the move map mode icon, right? Arrows in all directions
 >> is zoom in/out or full screen. Do colors have a meaning?
 >
 > There is not such a written guide about elements/colors. But some
things are obvious, like green color of download/upload arrows or the
red nodes in the Tools menu. (The core icons have evolved over the years
so they are not consistent in all cases/details either.)

 >> What are
 >> recommended page sizes for map mode icons and menu icons?
 > For map view icons 16px, for gui icons usually 24px (which is the
size in the toolbar).

 >> Are there recommended icon sets that can be used as reference and that
 >> have the right license to copy items?
 >
 > A lot of core gui icons are based on tango
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tango_icons) and gnome
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Desktop_icons) icon sets. The
most core icons are GPL or PD licensed so they should easily be used in
a plugin. More information about icons licenses see the icons section in
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/CONTRIBUTION

 > More useful information about icons in JOSM see
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/DefaultPresets#NewIcons

 > Best Regards
 >
 > Stefan

Re: Call to plugin authors: svgs in JOSM

Holger Mappt

I think I figured everything out. An important detail is to delete the
build directory with "ant clean" before running ant, otherwise the old
PNG images will appear in the JAR and JOSM picks the PNGs.

Thanks,
Holger

Am 15.10.20 um 15:31 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Am 11.10.2020 um 18:09 schrieb Holger Mappt via josm-dev:
>> What are
>> recommended page sizes for map mode icons and menu icons?
> For map view icons 16px, for gui icons usually 24px (which is the size
> in the toolbar).
A short review results in these typical "sizes": Map view icons and main
toolbar icons are 24px, menu icons are 16px, status line icons are 18px,
preferences icons (on the left) are 48px.