Camping/rest stop POIs

Darren Osborne
This week I was clearing through my list of GPX files that I had
recorded over the past 18 months.

Amongst them was a zipped folder of POIs I received about a year or
so ago. The data is free from copyright and is associated with a book
about camping.

It took some work as they were .wpt files, which had to be
reformatted, converted to GPX and then to OSM/XML format.

Needless to say they're all uploaded.

However, I have noticed there were a few 'errors' in the data. For
example, rest stops were listed as campgrounds, some co-ords are
slightly out. There has also been a few incidences of duplication.

Overall though, I believe it's added to the map, even if there is
some post-upload quality control now needed.

Therefore, if in your mapping adventures you notice that one of these
is not correct, please adjust it as you see necessary.

If any one else has a copyright free wpt files that they would like
to upload, I'm happy to assist.

BTW - There are sets of speed and redlight cameras POI files around.
Have they been uploaded yet?

Darren

Darren Osborne
Mobile: +61 4 1111 7952
[hidden email]
www.darrenosborne.com

Re: Camping/rest stop POIs

Sean-118
G'Day Darren

I was just working on some data in the Rockhampton and noticed some new
POI.  I just had to delete one.  A camping area POI called "Woolwash
Lagoon".  The council has put up sign in the area saying you can't camp
there any more.

Anyway QLD Dept of Main Roads has POI database you or someone else might
be interested in adding.

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/MRWebHelp.nsf/index/4858B388B6EFF79F4A257352000C5B25?opendocument

Going by the copyright and disclaimer notice it looks like they could be
added.

  Copyright

The Queensland Government supports and encourages the dissemination and
exchange of information. However, copyright protects material on this
website. Copyright of all information on this website resides with the
State Government of Queensland. The Queensland Government has no
objection to its material being reproduced, made available online or
electronically, provided it is for your personal, non-commercial use or
use within your organisation, the material remains unaltered and the
State Government of Queensland is recognised as the owner. None of the
material contained on this website may be reproduced or used for
commercial purposes without the written permission of the copyright owner.

  Disclaimer

The materials presented in this site are distributed by the Department
of Main Roads for and on behalf of the State of Queensland ("Main
Roads") as an information source only. Main Roads makes no statements,
representations or warranties about the accuracy or completeness of, and
you should not rely on, any information contained in this site.

Main Roads disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including
without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses,
damages and costs which you might incur as a result of the information
contained in this site being inaccurate or incomplete in any way.

Main Roads makes no warranties that the information in this site is free
of infection by computer viruses or other contamination. Main Roads
recommends that you utilise an appropriate virus scanner before
downloading any information from this site. Main Roads disclaims all
liability for any damages arising from your access to, use of, or
downloading of any information contained in this site.

Links to third party sites are inserted for convenience. Main Roads
makes no representation or warranty regarding the content of these
sites, and no responsibility is taken for the consequences of viewing
and relying on this content. Provision of these links does not
constitute endorsement or support by Main Roads for the information,
products, services or persons associated with the related third party
sites.

Sean

Darren Osborne darren.osborne-at-mac.com |OSM list| wrote:

> This week I was clearing through my list of GPX files that I had
> recorded over the past 18 months.
>
> Amongst them was a zipped folder of POIs I received about a year or
> so ago. The data is free from copyright and is associated with a book
> about camping.
>
> It took some work as they were .wpt files, which had to be
> reformatted, converted to GPX and then to OSM/XML format.
>
> Needless to say they're all uploaded.
>
> However, I have noticed there were a few 'errors' in the data. For
> example, rest stops were listed as campgrounds, some co-ords are
> slightly out. There has also been a few incidences of duplication.
>
> Overall though, I believe it's added to the map, even if there is
> some post-upload quality control now needed.
>
> Therefore, if in your mapping adventures you notice that one of these
> is not correct, please adjust it as you see necessary.
>
> If any one else has a copyright free wpt files that they would like
> to upload, I'm happy to assist.
>
> BTW - There are sets of speed and redlight cameras POI files around.
> Have they been uploaded yet?
>
> Darren
>
> Darren Osborne
> Mobile: +61 4 1111 7952
> [hidden email]
> www.darrenosborne.com

Re: Camping/rest stop POIs

Sean-118
Dam it.  I copied the wrong address.  Here's the correct one.  It's just
to bloody hot here today.

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/publicCR.nsf/2911b5cc11cfec994a2569e60005f0b3/c910dc97531bd29a4a2573ae0007613d?OpenDocument

Sean

Sean 4ey0llz02-at-sneakemail.com |OSM list| wrote:

> [...]
>> so ago. The data is free from copyright and is associated with a book
>> about camping.
>>
>> It took some work as they were .wpt files, which had to be
>> reformatted, converted to GPX and then to OSM/XML format.
>>
>> Needless to say they're all uploaded.
>>
>> However, I have noticed there were a few 'errors' in the data. For
>> example, rest stops were listed as campgrounds, some co-ords are
>> slightly out. There has also been a few incidences of duplication.
>>
>> Overall though, I believe it's added to the map, even if there is
>> some post-upload quality control now needed.
>>
>> Therefore, if in your mapping adventures you notice that one of these
>> is not correct, please adjust it as you see necessary.
>>
>> If any one else has a copyright free wpt files that they would like
>> to upload, I'm happy to assist.
>>
>> BTW - There are sets of speed and redlight cameras POI files around.

Re: Camping/rest stop POIs

Neil Penman
Hi Sean,

Based on the copyright notice below, I wouldn't have thought we could use this data.  For example it forbids commercial use which you cannot do once it has been loaded into OSM.

Regards

Neil Penman

> [...]

> so ago. The data is free from copyright and is associated with a book
> about camping.
>
> It took some work as they were .wpt files, which had to be
> reformatted, converted to GPX and then to OSM/XML format.
>
> Needless to say they're all uploaded.
>
> However, I have noticed there were a few 'errors' in the data. For
> example, rest stops were listed as campgrounds, some co-ords are
> slightly out. There has also been a few incidences of duplication.
>
> Overall though, I believe it's added to the map, even if there is
> some post-upload quality control now needed.
>
> Therefore, if in your mapping adventures you notice that one of these
> is not correct, please adjust it as you see necessary.
>
> If any one else has a copyright free wpt files that they would like
> to upload, I'm happy to assist.
>
> BTW - There are sets of speed and redlight cameras POI files around.

Re: Camping/rest stop POIs

Paul Zagoridis

I agree that the QLD copyright claims seems incompatible with the current license which is:

 Creative Commons Attribution/ShareAlike licence, version 2 (CC-BY-SA 2.0, for short). This means:

    * Anyone can copy OSM data.

    * But if you incorporate it into something else, that “something else” also has to be copiable under the same terms and conditions (ShareAlike).

    * When you copy it, you have to give credit to the copyright owner (Attribution).

More importantly CC-BY-SA is not valid for OSM see http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=262

Either way, the Qld copyright grants personal, non-commercial rights or organisational rights. That doesn’t sound like Free as in speech.

Regards

Paul

--
Paul Zagoridis
email: [hidden email]

blog: http://wealthesteem.org Wealth is created between your ears
personal blog: http://zagz.com
mobile: +61 414 707 343

skype: paul.zagoridis
--
Join me on your network of choice
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulzag
> [...]

> so ago. The data is free from copyright and is associated with a book
> about camping.
>
> It took some work as they were .wpt files, which had to be
> reformatted, converted to GPX and then to OSM/XML format.
>
> Needless to say they're all uploaded.
>
> However, I have noticed there were a few 'errors' in the data. For
> example, rest stops were listed as campgrounds, some co-ords are
> slightly out. There has also been a few incidences of duplication.
>
> Overall though, I believe it's added to the map, even if there is
> some post-upload quality control now needed.
>
> Therefore, if in your mapping adventures you notice that one of these
> is not correct, please adjust it as you see necessary.
>
> If any one else has a copyright free wpt files that they would like
> to upload, I'm happy to assist.
>
> BTW - There are sets of speed and redlight cameras POI files around.

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.