Can't see my GPS tracks

Bill & Kathy Patterson
I uploaded two GPS tracks a couple of days ago as my first trial and received an upload successful confirmation.  I can see them in JOSM, but haven’t learned how to use it for editing yet.  When I use the iD editor, I can see lots of other GPS tracks, but not the two I’ve uploaded.  Any ideas why mine don’t appear and what I can do about it?  Thanks

Re: Can't see my GPS tracks

Clifford Snow

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Bill & Kathy Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I uploaded two GPS tracks a couple of days ago as my first trial and received an upload successful confirmation.  I can see them in JOSM, but haven’t learned how to use it for editing yet.  When I use the iD editor, I can see lots of other GPS tracks, but not the two I’ve uploaded.  Any ideas why mine don’t appear and what I can do about it?  Thanks

Can you provide a link to the GPS tracks? It might help us figure out the problem.

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Fw: Can't see my GPS tracks

Bill & Kathy Patterson
I'm not sure how to get a hyperlink, if that is what you mean, but one of the tracks is the road pattern in a new small subdivision and is centred at roughly 43.93442, -79.50752.  The other is a hiking trail loop (with a tail off one location) and the coordinates 44.92000, -78.05260 would be within the upper portion of the loop.

Is that what you meant by a link, or did you mean a hyperlink?

I uploaded two GPS tracks a couple of days ago as my first trial and received an upload successful confirmation.  I can see them in JOSM, but haven’t learned how to use it for editing yet.  When I use the iD editor, I can see lots of other GPS tracks, but not the two I’ve uploaded.  Any ideas why mine don’t appear and what I can do about it?  Thanks

Can you provide a link to the GPS tracks? It might help us figure out the problem.

Re: Fw: Can't see my GPS tracks

Clifford Snow

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Bill & Kathy Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure how to get a hyperlink, if that is what you mean, but one of the tracks is the road pattern in a new small subdivision and is centred at roughly 43.93442, -79.50752.  The other is a hiking trail loop (with a tail off one location) and the coordinates 44.92000, -78.05260 would be within the upper portion of the loop.

Is that what you meant by a link, or did you mean a hyperlink?

Can you go to your gps traces on osm.org (GPS Traces -> Your GPS traces and provide the hyperlink to the two traces? For example, here is a link to a recent trace of mine, http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Glassman/traces/1892823

Thanks,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Can't see my GPS tracks

Bill Leddy
Using JOSM, you use the drawing tools to more or less follow your traces, then apply tags. The trace is a layer underneath your new way data.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

On Apr 15, 2015, at 7:21 PM, Bill & Kathy Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I uploaded two GPS tracks a couple of days ago as my first trial and received an upload successful confirmation.  I can see them in JOSM, but haven’t learned how to use it for editing yet.  When I use the iD editor, I can see lots of other GPS tracks, but not the two I’ve uploaded.  Any ideas why mine don’t appear and what I can do about it?  Thanks

Re: Fw: Can't see my GPS tracks

Bill & Kathy Patterson
Thank you Clifford.  By pulling up the track via the traces page, it loaded into the iD editor satisfactorily.  Previously I was opening the iD editor from the OSM home page and then wondering why my track didn't appear.

If it should be appearing, and you think that this is something for investigation, the two tracks are http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Greying_Geezer/traces/1911426 and http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Greying_Geezer/traces/1911422.

Also, I've gotten past my first hurdle with the JOSM editor.  Initially I didn't know how to pan (i.e. right click and drag).  I have another commitment now, but hope to add those routes to OSM soon.

Also, thank you Bill Leddy for your response.  I'm getting there slowly.

Bill

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Bill & Kathy Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
If it should be appearing, and you think that this is something for investigation, the two tracks are http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Greying_Geezer/traces/1911426 and http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Greying_Geezer/traces/1911422.

To see GPS tracks in iD, you also need to enable the overlay. You can find it on the layers menu. (The icon looks like a stack of papers.) By editing from the GPS traces page only your trace appears. When you add enable GPS in iD, all traces appear. Looks like that park has had many visitors.

Also, I've gotten past my first hurdle with the JOSM editor.  Initially I didn't know how to pan (i.e. right click and drag).  I have another commitment now, but hope to add those routes to OSM soon.

I just did a very quick JOSM class in Vancouver Tuesday. JOSM is my main editor. It is very powerful. One of the features I like, especially with all the CanVec landuse polygons is the filter. You can hid those when editing.

Good luck with editing. You might also be interested in the talk-ca mailing list. Not much traffic either.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Can't see my GPS tracks

Dave F.
In iD if you've just one gpx trace to view you can drag 'n' drop it from your local folder into the editor window. It will even zoom to its boundary extents. If you repeat that operation with another trace it removes the original, which is a shame. Unsure why it needs to do that.

Dave F.

On 16/04/2015 03:21, Bill & Kathy Patterson wrote:
I uploaded two GPS tracks a couple of days ago as my first trial and received an upload successful confirmation.  I can see them in JOSM, but haven’t learned how to use it for editing yet.  When I use the iD editor, I can see lots of other GPS tracks, but not the two I’ve uploaded.  Any ideas why mine don’t appear and what I can do about it?  Thanks

Avast logo