Cannot find address ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen in nominatim

Cannot find address ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen in nominatim

Maarten Deen
Node 3117603944 was established in 2014 with tags
addr:city Sørkjosen
addr:housenumber 45
addr:postcode 9152
addr:street Ringvegen

Yet, when I query nominatim for Ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen I get no results.

What is going wrong here? Sørkjosen itself is found [2] so the problem
does not seem to lie in the special character (I wouldn't have thought
so). Also found is the street which is named Ringveien [3] in OSM. No
idea why the street is called different than the address node, but does
Nominatim not index address nodes?

The reason why I was looking for this node is because it has a Tesla
supercharger [4] on address 45 Ringvegen 9152 Sørkjosen.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3117603944
[2] https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/search.html?q=S%C3%B8rkjosen
[3]
https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/search.html?q=S%C3%B8rkjosen+ringveien
[4]
https://www.tesla.com/nl_NL/findus/location/supercharger/sorkjosensupercharger

Regards,
Maarten

Re: Cannot find address ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen in nominatim

Sarah Hoffmann
Hi,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 09:41:10PM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:

> Node 3117603944 was established in 2014 with tags
> addr:city Sørkjosen
> addr:housenumber 45
> addr:postcode 9152
> addr:street Ringvegen
>
> Yet, when I query nominatim for Ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen I get no results.
>
> What is going wrong here? Sørkjosen itself is found [2] so the problem does
> not seem to lie in the special character (I wouldn't have thought so). Also
> found is the street which is named Ringveien [3] in OSM. No idea why the
> street is called different than the address node, but does Nominatim not
> index address nodes?

Nominatim only indexes addresses of streets and then searches for
address nodes based on the address of the street they are attached
to.

In that particular example, the housenumber got attached to Hovedvegen
because Nominatim could not find a 'Ringvegen' and used the nearest
street:
https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=N&osmid=3117603944

So you get a slightly different address than expected.
Fix the name of the street and everything sorts itself out.

Sarah

On 2020-08-23 22:20, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:

> Fix the name of the street and everything sorts itself out.

Thanks, I'll sort out the street name with the Norwegian community.

Regards,
Maarten

Re: Cannot find address ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen in nominatim

pangose
Hi Sarah

Sarah Hoffmann <[hidden email]> skrev: (23 augusti 2020 22:20:35 CEST)

>Hi,
>
>On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 09:41:10PM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> Node 3117603944 was established in 2014 with tags
>> addr:city Sørkjosen
>> addr:housenumber 45
>> addr:postcode 9152
>> addr:street Ringvegen
>>
>> Yet, when I query nominatim for Ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen I get no
>results.
>>
>> What is going wrong here? Sørkjosen itself is found [2] so the
>problem does
>> not seem to lie in the special character (I wouldn't have thought
>so). Also
>> found is the street which is named Ringveien [3] in OSM. No idea why
>the
>> street is called different than the address node, but does Nominatim
>not
>> index address nodes?
>
>Nominatim only indexes addresses of streets and then searches for
>address nodes based on the address of the street they are attached
>to.
>
>In that particular example, the housenumber got attached to Hovedvegen
>because Nominatim could not find a 'Ringvegen' and used the nearest
>street:
>https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=N&osmid=3117603944
>
>So you get a slightly different address than expected.
>Fix the name of the street and everything sorts itself out.

👌 thanks for the explanation and link. Are these very useful get parameters documented somewhere?

Re: Cannot find address ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen in nominatim

SimonPoole

Nominatim tries to build correct address hierarchies from the data, in particular it suspects a matching street (name) in the vicinity if an addr:street tag is specified. While it will match a wide range on name tags on streets (see https://github.com/osm-search/Nominatim/blob/master/settings/import-address.style), if none match it is not going to work.

Given that this is in Norway, I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to a difference between Bokmål and Nynorsk.

tl;dr version fix the street tagging and it will work .

Simon

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 10:37:48PM +0200, pangoSE wrote:

> Sarah Hoffmann <[hidden email]> skrev: (23 augusti 2020 22:20:35 CEST)
> >Nominatim only indexes addresses of streets and then searches for
> >address nodes based on the address of the street they are attached
> >to.
> >
> >In that particular example, the housenumber got attached to Hovedvegen
> >because Nominatim could not find a 'Ringvegen' and used the nearest
> >street:
> >https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=N&osmid=3117603944
> >
> >So you get a slightly different address than expected.
> >Fix the name of the street and everything sorts itself out.
>
> 👌 thanks for the explanation and link. Are these very useful get parameters documented somewhere?

https://nominatim.org/release-docs/develop/api/Details/

Use the details page without any paramaters to get a form where
you can select which OSM object to show information about:

On 2020-08-23 22:20, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 09:41:10PM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> Node 3117603944 was established in 2014 with tags
>> addr:city Sørkjosen
>> addr:housenumber 45
>> addr:postcode 9152
>> addr:street Ringvegen
>>
>> Yet, when I query nominatim for Ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen I get no
>> results.
>>
>> What is going wrong here? Sørkjosen itself is found [2] so the problem
>> does
>> not seem to lie in the special character (I wouldn't have thought so).
>> Also
>> found is the street which is named Ringveien [3] in OSM. No idea why
>> the
>> street is called different than the address node, but does Nominatim
>> not
>> index address nodes?
>
> Nominatim only indexes addresses of streets and then searches for
> address nodes based on the address of the street they are attached
> to.
>
> In that particular example, the housenumber got attached to Hovedvegen
> because Nominatim could not find a 'Ringvegen' and used the nearest
> street:
> https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=N&osmid=3117603944

Just one question though (well two acutally): why does it find
Hovedvegen as nearest street and not Reingveien
https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=W&osmid=282670088
?
And would it be an idea to make some kind of fuzzy matching when
searching for names? Like "it is better to take a street which has just
one different letter then one where all differ"?

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 07:28:42AM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:

> On 2020-08-23 22:20, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 09:41:10PM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:
> > > Node 3117603944 was established in 2014 with tags
> > > addr:city Sørkjosen
> > > addr:housenumber 45
> > > addr:postcode 9152
> > > addr:street Ringvegen
> > >
> > > Yet, when I query nominatim for Ringvegen 45 Sørkjosen I get no
> > > results.
> > >
> > > What is going wrong here? Sørkjosen itself is found [2] so the
> > > problem does
> > > not seem to lie in the special character (I wouldn't have thought
> > > so). Also
> > > found is the street which is named Ringveien [3] in OSM. No idea why
> > > the
> > > street is called different than the address node, but does Nominatim
> > > not
> > > index address nodes?
> >
> > Nominatim only indexes addresses of streets and then searches for
> > address nodes based on the address of the street they are attached
> > to.
> >
> > In that particular example, the housenumber got attached to Hovedvegen
> > because Nominatim could not find a 'Ringvegen' and used the nearest
> > street:
> > https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=N&osmid=3117603944
>
> Just one question though (well two acutally): why does it find Hovedvegen as
> nearest street and not Reingveien
> https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/details.html?osmtype=W&osmid=282670088
> ?

Hovedvegen is closer. Nominatim computes distance in WSG84 while you look at a
Mercator map. That far north there is a significant distortion between the two.

> And would it be an idea to make some kind of fuzzy matching when searching
> for names? Like "it is better to take a street which has just one different
> letter then one where all differ"?

This is about consistency between addr:street and names on highways. I think
it is much better to fix the OSM data in this case. Nominatim has always taken
a stance to rather expose mapping issues than trying to work around them.

Sarah