Case study: Lloyds TSB (Was: Chain Store Cleanup)

Case study: Lloyds TSB (Was: Chain Store Cleanup)

Rob Nickerson
Andy Mabbett wrote:

>I suppose it depends whether we want to map what (sometimes incorrect)
>store signs say, or what the stores actually are.
>
>I favour the latter, but if you want the former, I have a list defunct
>shops whose signs are still visible, which you can add
>
>Another issue to consider is that either method will incude some
>errors. Which will include fewest, and which will inconvenience our
>users less? How long will it take for all our entries for Domino's to
>be manually updated, even after the signs are changed?

I also favour the latter too. I feel this is an area where the "on the ground rule" is too strong.

For an idea of how long it takes to *manually update* shop names take a look at Lloyds TSB in the UK. In September 2013 the bank split into two separate banks and they were quickly rebranded as Lloyds and TSB. As it was impossible to say which branch became a Lloyds and which branch became a Lloyds so a mechanical edit wasn't possible.

Almost 2 years later we still have 400 "Lloyds TSB" in OpenStreetMap [1] and this is despite the fact that a tool was developed for the UK mappers to help them find the remaining incorrect instances of Lloyds TSB. Without this tool I expect there would be many hundreds more.

I don't want to say the UK mapping community is dead, but it is not big enough to manage the volume of data we already have in OSM. Any tools that can help this situation (tools to compare to external data sources, QA tools, Maproulette type tools, apps for Android, Windows phone and iOS, and yes, mechnaincal edits) would be welcome in my eyes.

We need to grow our community and our toolset.

Best,
Rob

Re: Case study: Lloyds TSB (Was: Chain Store Cleanup)

Pmailkeey .

On 2 May 2015 at 22:10, Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andy Mabbett wrote:

>I suppose it depends whether we want to map what (sometimes incorrect)
>store signs say, or what the stores actually are.
>
>I favour the latter, but if you want the former, I have a list defunct
>shops whose signs are still visible, which you can add
>
>Another issue to consider is that either method will incude some
>errors. Which will include fewest, and which will inconvenience our
>users less? How long will it take for all our entries for Domino's to
>be manually updated, even after the signs are changed?

I also favour the latter too. I feel this is an area where the "on the ground rule" is too strong.

For an idea of how long it takes to *manually update* shop names take a look at Lloyds TSB in the UK. In September 2013 the bank split into two separate banks and they were quickly rebranded as Lloyds and TSB. As it was impossible to say which branch became a Lloyds and which branch became a Lloyds so a mechanical edit wasn't possible.

Almost 2 years later we still have 400 "Lloyds TSB" in OpenStreetMap [1] and this is despite the fact that a tool was developed for the UK mappers to help them find the remaining incorrect instances of Lloyds TSB. Without this tool I expect there would be many hundreds more.

I don't want to say the UK mapping community is dead, but it is not big enough to manage the volume of data we already have in OSM. Any tools that can help this situation (tools to compare to external data sources, QA tools, Maproulette type tools, apps for Android, Windows phone and iOS, and yes, mechnaincal edits) would be welcome in my eyes.

We need to grow our community and our toolset.

Best,
Rob

+1 in all respects.
If we map incorrect stuff on the ground it's only going to support incorrect names. Where mechanical edits (or better) is possible, it's a case of letting the world catch up to OSM rather than the other way around. At least we can change name to old_name as an edit and then create a new new name based on the name change - so the db reflects old and new - and hopefully a search for LloydsTSB branch at ** should still find it even as an old name.

--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets