Cash_withdrawal draft

amilopowers
Hello

I filed a draft for a new tag called "cash_withdrawal".

With my best regards
Ueli aka amilopowers

----
Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Commenting in both places

Not a bad idea as it would be handy to know that you can get cash out "here".

Some potential issues I can see though.

How much can I get out ($100 max)? A supermarket cashier may be able to give me $500, but a corner milk-bar may be only $50.

Do you need to specify which currency? eg Can I ask for € in the UK, or US$, or is it expected that you can only withdraw the local currency?

"To tag whether there is cash withdrawal and with what banks/brands use:

cash_withdrawal=no/<bank>/<card> for example: cash_withdrawal=migros_bank;postfinance_card;bank_of_america"

By the time you add in all the possible banks / cards, that will become very unwieldy & hard to read, & there is also a character limit that will apply.

"Basically to everything where you can get cash with the help from personnel. If you can get the money yourself atm=yes or amenity=atm should be used. The new tagging should for example be used at: supermarket,convenience,bar,cafe,kiosk"

Here in Australia, at least the 2 biggest supermarket chains have self-serve checkouts that allow you to put your groceries through yourself, but also allow you to withdraw cash. It is also possible to use these checkouts to only withdraw cash without actually buying anything. How would these be tagged?

"Rendering

None."

Would probably actually be good idea to render them with the standard ATM symbol, so that if you look at a map, you can see that you can get cash out here, here or there!

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Warin
On 22/08/19 07:41, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
[...]

'Cash out' is normally a "payment option" so possibly it should be part of the payment tagging?
Is payment tagging rendered? I think not.

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Philip Barnes

In British English the term used is Cashback.

Although only used once according to taginfo.

Its never been something I have thought of tagging, just an option we assume to be available at supermarkets.

Phil (trigpoint)

On 21/08/2019 19:53, [hidden email] wrote:
Hello

I filed a draft for a new tag called "cash_withdrawal".

With my best regards
Ueli aka amilopowers

----
Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

> On 22. Aug 2019, at 14:07, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In British English the term used is Cashback.

in Germany cashback is the name of a bonus program where you can get some money for sharing your personal data with the merchant when you buy something. It would be deeply confusing for German users to use the same term for cash withdrawal.

Cheers Martin

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Paul Allen
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 13:09, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

In British English the term used is Cashback.

I can confirm that.  I'm not sure, but I think it's only possible to get cashback if you make
a purchase.  But that could just be a policy of some stores, or I could be completely wrong
(I've never tried to get cashback without making a purchase).

Its never been something I have thought of tagging, just an option we assume to be available at supermarkets.

And convenience stores, such as Spar (my local Spar doesn't charge for cashback but I'm
told other shops in the franchise do).

I don't think it would be sensible to tag nodes with the intention of having them rendered
in some way, as in a large supermarket it would mean mapping every till.  Even my local
Spar has three tills, and it's not a big shop.  Probably best as a property on the shop
itself.

Incidentally, I recall reading somewhere I cannot remember (and can definitely not vouch
for the accuracy of the info) that cashback arose because banks charge a fee on large(?)
shops depositing their takings, and that fee is a percentage of the size of the deposit.
Various EPOS vendors decided they could give shops a cashback facility and charge
a lower percentage of the transaction than the shop would pay a bank to deposit it.  If
this is all true, the shops aren't doing you a favour, they're doing themselves a favour
by giving you an incentive to use them, doing themselves a favour by reducing the
fee they pay the bank, and triple-dipping if they charge you for cashback.

--
Paul

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Paul Allen
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 14:28, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22. Aug 2019, at 14:07, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In British English the term used is Cashback.

in Germany cashback is the name of a bonus program where you can get some money for sharing your personal data with the merchant when you buy something.

Here that's known generically as a loyalty scheme but most people only know the name of
the specific card they use with a specific shop (with Tesco it's a "Club Card") although there
is a less specific card called "Nectar" supported by several smaller chains.

It would be deeply confusing for German users to use the same term for cash withdrawal.

I have to agree with you.  One of the cases where using British English terminology would
be too confusing.  A quick search didn't reward me with a suitable generic term but added
to the problems because it seems that Australia and New Zealand call it "cash out.."  The
closest I can get to a generic term is "debit card cashback" which I don't think clarifies
matters enough to keep the German mappers happy.

--
Paul

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Philip Barnes

On Thursday, 22 August 2019, Paul Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 13:09, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In British English the term used is Cashback.
> >
> I can confirm that.  I'm not sure, but I think it's only possible to get
> cashback if you make
> a purchase.  But that could just be a policy of some stores, or I could be
> completely wrong
> (I've never tried to get cashback without making a purchase).
>
> Its never been something I have thought of tagging, just an option we
> > assume to be available at supermarkets.
> >

> And convenience stores, such as Spar (my local Spar doesn't charge for
> cashback but I'm
> told other shops in the franchise do).
>
> I don't think it would be sensible to tag nodes with the intention of
> having them rendered
> in some way, as in a large supermarket it would mean mapping every till.
> Even my local
> Spar has three tills, and it's not a big shop.  Probably best as a property
> on the shop
> itself.
>
> Incidentally, I recall reading somewhere I cannot remember (and can
> definitely not vouch
> for the accuracy of the info) that cashback arose because banks charge a
> fee on large(?)
> shops depositing their takings, and that fee is a percentage of the size of
> the deposit.
> Various EPOS vendors decided they could give shops a cashback facility and
> charge
> a lower percentage of the transaction than the shop would pay a bank to
> deposit it.  If
> this is all true, the shops aren't doing you a favour, they're doing
> themselves a favour
> by giving you an incentive to use them, doing themselves a favour by
> reducing the
> fee they pay the bank, and triple-dipping if they charge you for cashback.

Avoiding charges for banking cash is my understanding of the reason for shops offing this service too.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Philip Barnes

On 22/08/2019 15:47, Paul Allen wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 13:09, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

In British English the term used is Cashback.

I can confirm that.  I'm not sure, but I think it's only possible to get cashback if you make
a purchase.  But that could just be a policy of some stores, or I could be completely wrong
(I've never tried to get cashback without making a purchase).

I believe that is correct, you have to buy something, even if it costs a penny/cent so that they can open the till.

My local co-op has a separate area for the post office, which offers the full range of services but keeps normal post office hours.

The main co-op supermarket has a post office terminal, not sure what it can do but you can't tax your car or send off for a passport, but it has a scale to weigh parcels and also offers cash withdrawl which requires no purchase. This is available whenever the co-op is open Mo-Sa 7:00-22:00 Su 10:00-16:00.

Is there, or should there be, a tag for these mini-post offices?

Is this a UK thing?

Phil (trigpoint)

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

amilopowers
Hello Everyone

Thank you for your comments, thoughts and ideas.

I try to answer to every point made and I am sorry if I miss something.

Please checkout "Revision 1" of the draft in the tagging section. Some of your questions are answered there because I agree with them. Furthermore I made some changes in the "Features/Pages affected" section. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Cash_withdrawal

Graeme:
Character limit:
I agree with you that it might not be too handy to find something in a long value but to enter it I personally find it easier like that. The payment scheme is very annoying IMHO. Character limit could indeed be a problem. Honestly have you ever seen a value with more than 255 characters?

Philip:
"Cash back"
Yes I have heard of that term in talk-ch yet but as Martin already said this would be very confusing for most mappers. I guess everyone else that British are more used to "withdraw money" at least I never met an ATM abroad with another term.

Paul:
I agree with you that this should be an attribute not a tag to use on every till. However we can't foresee how mappers will use it.

Philip (off topic):
Yes there should be a tag for those mini post offices. They spread all over Switzerland. Do you mind to prepare something? Recently I tried to map a DHL collection point and failed because amenity=post_office is definitely wrong.

Happy to hear more of you!

With my best regards
Ueli

----

Am Donnerstag, August 22, 2019 3:29 PM schrieb Philip Barnes <[hidden email]>:

> On Thursday, 22 August 2019, Paul Allen wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 13:09, Philip Barnes [hidden email] wrote:
> >

> > > In British English the term used is Cashback.
> >

> > I can confirm that. I'm not sure, but I think it's only possible to get
> > cashback if you make
> > a purchase. But that could just be a policy of some stores, or I could be
> > completely wrong
> > (I've never tried to get cashback without making a purchase).
> > Its never been something I have thought of tagging, just an option we
> >

> > > assume to be available at supermarkets.
> >

> > And convenience stores, such as Spar (my local Spar doesn't charge for
> > cashback but I'm
> > told other shops in the franchise do).
> > I don't think it would be sensible to tag nodes with the intention of
> > having them rendered
> > in some way, as in a large supermarket it would mean mapping every till.
> > Even my local
> > Spar has three tills, and it's not a big shop. Probably best as a property
> > on the shop
> > itself.
> > Incidentally, I recall reading somewhere I cannot remember (and can
> > definitely not vouch
> > for the accuracy of the info) that cashback arose because banks charge a
> > fee on large(?)
> > shops depositing their takings, and that fee is a percentage of the size of
> > the deposit.
> > Various EPOS vendors decided they could give shops a cashback facility and
> > charge
> > a lower percentage of the transaction than the shop would pay a bank to
> > deposit it. If
> > this is all true, the shops aren't doing you a favour, they're doing
> > themselves a favour
> > by giving you an incentive to use them, doing themselves a favour by
> > reducing the
> > fee they pay the bank, and triple-dipping if they charge you for cashback.
>

> Avoiding charges for banking cash is my understanding of the reason for shops offing this service too.
>

> Phil (trigpoint)

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Paul Allen

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 19:42, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Paul:
I agree with you that this should be an attribute not a tag to use on every till. However we can't foresee how mappers will use it.

Your wiki page says it's not a standalone tag.  And if carto co-operate by not rendering it,
then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Even less of a problem if editors support it
as an optional property of shops.

Philip (off topic):
Yes there should be a tag for those mini post offices. They spread all over Switzerland. Do you mind to prepare something? Recently I tried to map a DHL collection point and failed because amenity=post_office is definitely wrong.

If I understood him correctly, Philip wasn't talking about collection points, and especially not
DHL collection points.

Post Offices in the UK are complicated.  The following is a rough guide with many
simplifications.  Each town had a head post office, staffed by civil servants, and which
did no business not related to the Post Office (which many years ago also ran the phone
system in the UK, apart from in the city of Kingston upon Hull).  There were often many sub
post offices in a town, located in shops, with partitions separating the post office counter
from the shop counters.  Sub post offices offered just about everything the head post office did.

Later, the phone system was split off from the post office.  And the post office set up a sort of
banking system.  The post office banking system sort of came and went, but currently exists.
So it is possible to use a credit or debit card to make cash withdrawals at a head post office
or sub post office, without making a purchase, because it is also a very cut-down bank.
In fact there is talk of making the post office bank do even more, because many small towns
have lost all their branches of proper banks but still have a post office.  There's also talk
of making the post office the bank of last resort, for the kind of people that real banks
refuse to do business with.

At  some point the post office allowed other shops to buy stamps for resale as a convenience
for customers, but mainly so they could get rid of stamp machines from the streets
because they were frequently vandalized to rob the coin boxes.

Later still, increasing high street rents forced some head post offices to relocate into
special areas in supermarkets.  What was essentially the head post office (because it
was the only post office) operated as a sub post office.  Philip was talking of the fact
that although the post office area in a supermarket keeps post office hours, some
supermarkets may have checkouts that offer some post office services outside of
post office hours.  You can weigh a parcel at one of them, buy stamps for the parcel
and maybe (I don't know) even send a parcel, but you can't pick up a parcel waiting
for you to collect it.  You can only pick up a parcel at the actual post office counter
in the supermarket and only during post office hours.

Oh, and along the way we privatized the delivery side of the business as Royal
Mail.  Prompting somebody I know to suggest we should also privatize Royal
Family.

Not at all the same as convenience stores acting as collection points for packages
sent via DHL, or from Amazon or whatever.  Just that peculiar institution of the
British post office.

As I said, it's complicated.  And I simplified, a lot.  Others will be along to fill in details
I omitted and to correct my errors.

--
Paul

Re: Cash_withdrawal draft

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 04:42, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please checkout "Revision 1" of the draft in the tagging section.

That is what I suggested, but it doesn't sound quite right - would it be better as "purchase_required"?

Thanks

Graeme