Cellspotting

Rev Simon Rumble

This site and tool is interesting, though it's a pity about the terms of
service:
http://www.cellspotting.com

Basically it's a site and related tool for recording geolocating
information about mobile phone cells.  This is the kind of information
that would allow the general masses to be able to roughly geolocate from
their mobile phones without GPS.  Orange use this on my phone to give
things like nearby train stations and the like.

Perhaps this is the kind of thing we could also store in OpenStreetmap?
With the right (Symbian) tool, I could very easily automagically submit
Cell Details+GPS information as I move around.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[hidden email]>
www.rumble.net

Re: Cellspotting

Steve Coast
* @ 06/01/06 10:06:41 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> This site and tool is interesting, though it's a pity about the terms of
> service:
> http://www.cellspotting.com
>
> Basically it's a site and related tool for recording geolocating
> information about mobile phone cells.  This is the kind of information
> that would allow the general masses to be able to roughly geolocate from
> their mobile phones without GPS.  Orange use this on my phone to give
> things like nearby train stations and the like.
>
> Perhaps this is the kind of thing we could also store in OpenStreetmap?
> With the right (Symbian) tool, I could very easily automagically submit
> Cell Details+GPS information as I move around.

http://www.navizon.com/

thanks to mikel for reminding me of the url

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/