Chain Store Cleanup

Andrew MacKinnon-2
I am trying to figure out a way of cleaning up incorrect chain store
data in OSM. For example there are 1422 instances of "McDonalds" in
OSM (should be McDonald's) and 203 instances of "Tim Horton's" (should
be Tim Hortons).

I have created pages on the OSM wiki called
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chain_Store_Cleanup> and
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chain_Store_Directory>. Ideally I
would like to create wiki pages for every large chain of stores in the
world that is similar to Map Features, with recommended ways of
tagging chain stores. A lot of new OSM users get this wrong and create
incorrect data, and there wasn't anything on the wiki telling users
that "McDonalds" or "Tim Horton's" is incorrect. This is really
preliminary and I'm sure that this can be improved a great deal. I
would also like to keep track of chain stores that have closed stores
or changed name. For example, Target closed all its stores in Canada
recently and Wal-Mart changed the name of all its stores to Walmart a
few years ago.

Do people mind if I start fixing these errors myself, finding POIs
with overpass turbo and editing individual POIs one at a time? I
understand that large scale mechanical edits over a large area are a
bad idea and the admins hate people doing that (it is too easy to make
mistakes, and there is bound to be something called "McDonalds" that
is not actually a McDonald's fast food restaurant, and I don't really
want to get into wars over how to tag things, but amenity=fast_food
and name=McDonalds is just wrong). I think that applying the
"mechanical edit policy" to semi-automated edits that are done one at
a time is overkill though. However, there are a lot of these errors in
OSM, so I really need help from other people to fix these errors.
Also, it would be appreciated if validation rules for chain stores
could be added to automated bug fixers such as maproulette, keepright,
osmose, etc.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

brycenesbitt
You'll probably face an easier road if your clean page follows the mechanical edit convention, using your name:
(sample: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Bryce_C_Nesbitt ),
even if you're not doing something fully mechanical.

Then:
  1. Add the "TODO" plugin to JOSM.
  2. From overpass turbo load "name=McDonalds" and "amenity=fast_food".
  3. Export to JOSM (clicking 'repair' first).
  4. Select a reasonable region, such as your home country.  Invert the selection and "purge" the rest of the nodes to eliminate the non-target areas of the earth.
  5. Select only tagged objects (using search) and add to the "TODO" plugin.
  6. Step through the nodes, prior to making any mechanical changes.
I recommend working only in countries where you understand the language and culture.
name=McDonalds might be correct in places you don't fully understand.

I think http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/POI:McDonald%27s is overkill however.  And long term chances are
some form of synchronization with McDonald's official store finder will replace the current manual process.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Imre Samu

cleaning up incorrect chain store data in OSM.
>...  McDonald's fast food restaurant,  ...

and iD Editor use this ( https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/name-suggestions.json )

and don't forget internationalisation :

like:
"Макдоналдс": {
"count": 324,
"tags": {
"name:en": "McDonald's"
}
"マクドナルド": {
"count": 692,
"tags": {
"name:en": "McDonald's",
"cuisine": "burger"
}

Regards,
 Imre

[...]

Andreas Goss
> I think http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/POI:McDonald%27s is overkill
> however.  And long term chances are
> some form of synchronization with McDonald's official store finder will
> replace the current manual process.

Agree, something like this with a more organized overview would be better:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Retail_Chains

And those individual pages also are not like Map Features.

The main problem with all these pages is that if something is updated or
changed you have to do it everywhere. So I would try to limit it.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

brycenesbitt
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Andreas Goss <[hidden email]> wrote:
And long term chances are
some form of synchronization with McDonald's official store finder will
replace the current manual process.

Agree, something like this with a more organized overview would be better

I think eventually chains will see the light, and publish their locations in an open format compatible manner.
At that point a quick cross check with OSM would clear up most of the issues.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Paul Johnson-3
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think eventually chains will see the light, and publish their locations in an open format compatible manner.
At that point a quick cross check with OSM would clear up most of the issues.

I think this depends on the chain and how much they care about this.  I believe there was a previous import of Lowe's locations, and this data was woefully inaccurate.  At least in Oklahoma, these often ended up well into the "close but no cigar" territory, often being blocks away and in nonsensical spots kinda-sorta close, but not close enough to get accurate routing.  On the other hand, there was a pretty nicely detailed import of Love's truck stops a while back that included a fair amount of detail, for which the only issue I take with it is that it mistagged most as caravan sites instead of service plazas.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

James Mast
When it comes to McDonald's, at least in the USA and Canada, they (when they are stand-alone stores) are extremely easy to verify via Bing Imagery since they almost always use the same design for the buildings.  It also helps when the sun was just right when the imagery was taken that the McDonald's logo casts a shadow on the ground from their tall sign (if they have one).

So, you might be able to get away with just checking the imagery for the misspelled ones in the USA/Canada without having to rely on doing anything mechanical.  And for the ones you can't verify, you could just add a note for them to be field checked if the building design doesn't match any of the normal designs, or is inside a gas station/WalMart and can't be verified for sure since those locations can/do change often sometimes to another brand.

-James

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Frederik Ramm
Andrew,

On 05/01/2015 12:04 AM, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a way of cleaning up incorrect chain store
> data in OSM. For example there are 1422 instances of "McDonalds" in
> OSM (should be McDonald's) and 203 instances of "Tim Horton's" (should
> be Tim Hortons).

That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
"McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
non-fastfood places that *really* were called McDonalds just as you mention.

It is also an easy fallacy to think that if the marketing people of some
chain decide to spell their name differently, we could or should simply
replace all names to what they "should" be - no we don't, we only change
the name when the store changes its lettering. We're not a parrot for
the marketing department, we observe what's on the ground.

OSM editing is usually "holistic" - you work on many aspects of the map
in an area. If the map has many edits by different people in an area
then I can reasonably assume that it has a certain minimum quality
because these people are on the ground fixing things. If you
remote-mass-fix McDonald's, or worse, if you remote-mass-fix all chain
stores on an ongoing basis, you create a false impression of activity in
an area when in fact all you do is scribble the latest business decision
of some corporate marketing department all over OSM.

I don't think that is something that really advances the quality in OSM,
and I would encourage you to grab a notepad and venture outside to do
some mapping. That way you wouldn't be scripting world-wide cleanup
operations but who knows, you might actually add real value to OSM.

Leave the mis-spelled "McDonalds" to those who map in the area. Maybe it
encourages them.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Mike N.
On 5/1/2015 11:07 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
> "McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
> undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
> non-fastfood places that*really*  were called McDonalds just as you mention.

   The proposed edit doesn't seem to match the previous mass
Search/Replace edit.   It should also be possible to confirm each
location against the McDonalds store locator or a store list from McDonalds.

> It is also an easy fallacy to think that if the marketing people of some
> chain decide to spell their name differently, we could or should simply
> replace all names to what they "should" be - no we don't, we only change
> the name when the store changes its lettering.

   I as a local mapper would never notice such a change in 100 years of
going back to audit POIs.   A remote mapper change would correct this
properly if checked against corporate data, complete with proper tagging
for old_name - this would assist searches for the new name.

  The argument is strongly *for* informed, remote changes, assuming that
the data in OSM is to be of some use to data consumers.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Pmailkeey .

On 1 May 2015 at 16:07, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew,

On 05/01/2015 12:04 AM, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a way of cleaning up incorrect chain store
> data in OSM. For example there are 1422 instances of "McDonalds" in
> OSM (should be McDonald's) and 203 instances of "Tim Horton's" (should
> be Tim Hortons).

That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
"McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
non-fastfood places that *really* were called McDonalds just as you mention.

I don't think that is something that really advances the quality in OSM,
and I would encourage you to grab a notepad and venture outside to do
some mapping. That way you wouldn't be scripting world-wide cleanup
operations but who knows, you might actually add real value to OSM.

Leave the mis-spelled "McDonalds" to those who map in the area. Maybe it
encourages them.

I'd go for the mechanical edit. Actually, I'd go for a central single point of maintenance for store names - so we change them all with one change.

Doing manual edits, how long does it take OSM to reflect the name change globally ? It's my guess that this would be less accurate than changing them all in one move. The change should of course be name --> old_name and then a new name applied. I'm also in favour of being ahead of the game - gives a better impression that the map's well up to date.

--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Janko Mihelić

If we want to unify a kind of chain store, I think we should leave the name tag, and focus on other tags. Some examples are ref:vatin=* for the vat id of the store, brand:wikidata=* for the wikidata id of the brand owner, website=* for the central website, or we can find a new better tag that should be the same with all certain chain stores. Names should be left to the local mapper.

Janko

pet, 1. svi 2015. 17:39 pmailkeey . <[hidden email]> je napisao:
On 1 May 2015 at 16:07, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew,

On 05/01/2015 12:04 AM, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a way of cleaning up incorrect chain store
> data in OSM. For example there are 1422 instances of "McDonalds" in
> OSM (should be McDonald's) and 203 instances of "Tim Horton's" (should
> be Tim Hortons).

That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
"McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
non-fastfood places that *really* were called McDonalds just as you mention.

I don't think that is something that really advances the quality in OSM,
and I would encourage you to grab a notepad and venture outside to do
some mapping. That way you wouldn't be scripting world-wide cleanup
operations but who knows, you might actually add real value to OSM.

Leave the mis-spelled "McDonalds" to those who map in the area. Maybe it
encourages them.

I'd go for the mechanical edit. Actually, I'd go for a central single point of maintenance for store names - so we change them all with one change.

Doing manual edits, how long does it take OSM to reflect the name change globally ? It's my guess that this would be less accurate than changing them all in one move. The change should of course be name --> old_name and then a new name applied. I'm also in favour of being ahead of the game - gives a better impression that the map's well up to date.

--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via the area's premier website -

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Christoph Hormann
On Friday 01 May 2015, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:

> I have created pages on the OSM wiki called
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chain_Store_Cleanup> and
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chain_Store_Directory>. Ideally I
> would like to create wiki pages for every large chain of stores in
> the world that is similar to Map Features, with recommended ways of
> tagging chain stores. A lot of new OSM users get this wrong and
> create incorrect data, and there wasn't anything on the wiki telling
> users that "McDonalds" or "Tim Horton's" is incorrect. [...]

Actually when you want to tag what chain a certain store belongs to the
proper tag is brand=* - not for all chains the stores have a uniform
name and even if this is the case the name also often varies with the
language internationally.  As Frederik said, the name tag should be
what's on the sign on the store and that should not be changed to
something else just because it happens to be identical to a common
misspelling of a certain brand name.

Both maintining a list of tagged brands and making mechanical edits in
case of brand name changes or widespread typos make sense for brand
tags IMO but not for name.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

brycenesbitt
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The import style I've used ignores the store's geometry or position after the first import.

In other words, we can trust the store's "store finder" to have reasonably accurate information about opening hours and which store locations
are currently open for business.   Any the additional imports copy over opening_hours type stuff, but leave the OSM geometry alone.
If the chain lists a location as 'closed', that generates note to a local mapper.

--
Armchair mapping of chain stores faces another problem: while some chains have iconic buildings, on occasion they sell
out.  Thus a mom & pop restaurant in a iHop shell, or an old style Taco Bell that's now a pizza joint.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Imre Samu
> .. McDonald's  problem...

Please don't forget the   true "McDonald's" problem!  It is a content encoding hell.
and very hard to detect by any ordinary field mappers.

  #1.
name="McDonald’s"    ( count=126 )  U+2019 ’ e2 80 99 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald%E2%80%99s
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/97c

 #2.
name="McDonald´s"    ( count=40 )   U+00B4 ´ c2 b4 "ACUTE ACCENT"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald%C2%B4s
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/97e

 #3.
name="McDonald's"   ( count=14039)   U+0027 ' 27 "APOSTROPHE"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald's

Regards,
 Imre

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Paul Johnson-3

  #1.

 #2.

 #3.
name="McDonald's"   ( count=14039)   U+0027 ' 27 "APOSTROPHE"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald's

I'd go with Option 3, for two reasons.  It's actually an apostrophe, so it's grammatically correct (hey, I try), and it's the most common.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Pmailkeey .

  #1.

 #2.

 #3.
name="McDonald's"   ( count=14039)   U+0027 ' 27 "APOSTROPHE"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald's

Regards,
 Imre

Any hope of tracing the sources of #1 and #2 ? Such as Apple users ? and which editor was used?

--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via the area's premier website -

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Andrew MacKinnon-2
I can confirm that McDonald's in Quebec, Canada have an apostrophe
from a Mapillary image of one in Gatineau, QC:
<http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/CYy8HTA4MeQouhZ6929gJw>. Reason being
that an apostrophe is "English" but it is allowed in Quebec (at least
nowadays) under French language laws.

I am aware that McDonald's in non-Latin scripts is different but I
assume that McDonald's has an apostrophe everywhere else. (Is there a
country where "McDonalds" is actually correct?)

If someone manages to get properly licensed data on store locations
from a large company, it might be useful to look at the data
integration functionality at <http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/>.
Simply importing data is a bad idea because there already are lots of
existing POIs in OSM (there are 14039 objects with name=McDonald's in
OSM and Wikipedia says there are about 35000 McDonald's restaurants in
the world, so OSM has slightly less than 50% of them), and because
imported data is often poor quality.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM, pmailkeey . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 May 2015 at 18:30, Imre Samu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > .. McDonald's  problem...
>>
>> Please don't forget the   true "McDonald's" problem!  It is a content
>> encoding hell.
>> and very hard to detect by any ordinary field mappers.
>>
>>   #1.
>> name="McDonald’s"    ( count=126 )  U+2019 ’ e2 80 99 "RIGHT SINGLE
>> QUOTATION MARK"
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald%E2%80%99s
>> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/97c
>>
>>  #2.
>> name="McDonald´s"    ( count=40 )   U+00B4 ´ c2 b4 "ACUTE ACCENT"
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald%C2%B4s
>> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/97e
>>
>>  #3.
>> name="McDonald's"   ( count=14039)   U+0027 ' 27 "APOSTROPHE"
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald's
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Imre
>>

> Any hope of tracing the sources of #1 and #2 ? Such as Apple users ? and
> which editor was used?
>
> --
> Mike.
> @millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
> via the area's premier website -
>
> currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property &
> pets
>
> T&Cs

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Andrew MacKinnon-2
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Andrew,>
> That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
> "McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
> undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
> non-fastfood places that *really* were called McDonalds just as you mention.

I am aware of this problem, though usually trademark laws would make
it illegal to operate such a store. Various weird exceptions might
exist, such as a McDonalds that existed before the well-known
McDonald's fast food restaurant existed, or something called McDonalds
that is not a fast food restaurant. There is a bus stop in Sudbury,
Ontario, Canada called "McDonalds" in front of a McDonald's fast food
restaurant which I am told is correct because the bus stop name was
accidentally misspelled by the city and never corrected. Usually this
is only a problem for a chain that only operates in certain countries,
and there are unrelated stores in other countries. I would strongly
recommend putting a note on any POI that has the name of a common fast
restaurant like McDonald's, Subway, KFC, etc. that isn't actually what
you think it is.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

Andrew MacKinnon-2
> It is also an easy fallacy to think that if the marketing people of some
> chain decide to spell their name differently, we could or should simply
> replace all names to what they "should" be - no we don't, we only change
> the name when the store changes its lettering.

Another issue. If a store changes name a mechanical edit does not make
sense because usually new signs get put up gradually. For instance
Domino's Pizza changed its name to Domino's and is running TV ads
promoting this, but there are still old signs that say "Domino's
Pizza". The same thing applies if a chain store goes out of business
because usually not all stores close at the same time and there may
still be some stores open. I am concerned with stores that are wrong.
McDonalds and Tim Horton's are wrong as far as I know. The same is
true with an amenity=restaurant called Subway, since it should be
amenity=fast_food and any Subway that is not the well known chain
would almost certainly be sued by the well known chain and forced to
changed its name.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Mike N <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/1/2015 11:07 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>
>> That's a very "computer person" approach to take. In fact, the
>> "McDonald's" issue has already been tried by someone in the past with an
>> undiscussed mechanical edit, promptly falsifying a few non-chain
>> non-fastfood places that*really*  were called McDonalds just as you
>> mention.
>

>   The proposed edit doesn't seem to match the previous mass Search/Replace
> edit.   It should also be possible to confirm each location against the
> McDonalds store locator or a store list from McDonalds.
>
>> It is also an easy fallacy to think that if the marketing people of some
>> chain decide to spell their name differently, we could or should simply
>> replace all names to what they "should" be - no we don't, we only change
>> the name when the store changes its lettering.
>

>   I as a local mapper would never notice such a change in 100 years of going
> back to audit POIs.   A remote mapper change would correct this properly if
> checked against corporate data, complete with proper tagging for old_name -
> this would assist searches for the new name.
>
>  The argument is strongly *for* informed, remote changes, assuming that the
> data in OSM is to be of some use to data consumers.

Re: Chain Store Cleanup

SomeoneElse-2
On 02/05/2015 02:18, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> .... The same is true with an amenity=restaurant called Subway, since
> it should be amenity=fast_food and any Subway that is not the well
> known chain would almost certainly be sued by the well known chain and
> forced to changed its name.

I wouldn't be so sure here.

As an example, there's a bakery chain in the UK called "Greggs". They're
mostly tagged "shop=bakery" (with a few Subway-esque "amenity=fast_food"
/ "cuisine=sandwich" as well).  Occasionally shops like this get wrongly
tagged, sometimes as "amenity=cafe", and there's always a temptation to
"just fix them".  However, guess what?  Yesterday I accidentally walked
past a genuine Greggs "amenity=cafe":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3490805096

It seems to share staff with the neighbouring bakery, but is entirely
separate inside.  A better approach to "tidying up" shops is the one
that Math1985 has been using in the UK - add a note, and get some local
feedback to separate the genuine errors from the unexpected ones:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/303935

A Subway _restaurant_ is clearly a bit of a stretch, but not entirely
impossible.  I'd definitely add notes rather than remotely fixing
these.  Alternatively, perhaps contact the previous mapper?

Cheers,

Andy