City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

SimonPoole

We've (as in the LWG) have received a mail from the City of Gold Coast concerning multiple repeat requests for CC BY waiver (no need to point out that that can be annoying). IMHO the AUS community already documents what is going on rather well https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue so this may simply be a one off incident.

So in any case, could you all try to avoid this happening as far as possible? While I don't quite see a Newbie sending such a request maybe it would be a good idea to send welcome mails and point to the list if that isn't already happening now (simplest way to do that is to get a new mapper RSS feed from Pascal Neis https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=Australia#4/-29.68/133.30).

Thanks

Simon
_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Hi Simon

I may be the guilty party, but I'm not sure?

Did contact GCCC earlier this year for permission to use data, which they gave.

However, I'd forgotten to ask them for the waiver, so went back to them a couple of days later to ask for that.

Lady I spoke to thought it would be OK, but had to pass it to (I assume) their legal section.

A couple of months ago, she followed up with legals to check on progress & cc'ed me to say it should be resolved soon.

About 2 weeks ago, I followed up with her as hadn't heard anything. She passed it to legals again & cc'ed me.

I then got an e-mail from legals asking who I was & what company I represent.

Sent them another copy of the basic "I'm an OSM contributor" letter together with the fact sheet, but haven't heard anything more since then.

Don't know if anybody else on the Gold Coast may have asked for permission, or if they're taking my 2 - 3 contacts as multiple requests, rather than following up the original?

Thanks

Graeme

On 13 August 2018 at 17:07, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've (as in the LWG) have received a mail from the City of Gold Coast concerning multiple repeat requests for CC BY waiver (no need to point out that that can be annoying). IMHO the AUS community already documents what is going on rather well https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue so this may simply be a one off incident.

So in any case, could you all try to avoid this happening as far as possible? While I don't quite see a Newbie sending such a request maybe it would be a good idea to send welcome mails and point to the list if that isn't already happening now (simplest way to do that is to get a new mapper RSS feed from Pascal Neis https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=Australia#4/-29.68/133.30).

Thanks

Simon

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au



_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

SimonPoole

Hi Graeme

Am 13.08.2018 um 09:24 schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick:
...

Don't know if anybody else on the Gold Coast may have asked for permission, or if they're taking my 2 - 3 contacts as multiple requests, rather than following up the original?
...
Could naturally be, they didn't give me details, so it is a bit difficult to find out what has gone wrong (if anything). I can follow up with them, maybe something simply got lost in the mail.

Simon

Thanks

Graeme

On 13 August 2018 at 17:07, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've (as in the LWG) have received a mail from the City of Gold Coast concerning multiple repeat requests for CC BY waiver (no need to point out that that can be annoying). IMHO the AUS community already documents what is going on rather well https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue so this may simply be a one off incident.

So in any case, could you all try to avoid this happening as far as possible? While I don't quite see a Newbie sending such a request maybe it would be a good idea to send welcome mails and point to the list if that isn't already happening now (simplest way to do that is to get a new mapper RSS feed from Pascal Neis https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=Australia#4/-29.68/133.30).

Thanks

Simon

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au




_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

Andrew Harvey-3
In reply to this post by SimonPoole
There's a number of people here in Australia who are keen to use our governments data to improve OSM and I'm sure there's been a lot of double ups in requests. I'd encourage everyone who's identifying data sources and asking for permissions or waivers to contribute to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue as a form of documentation.

I did also send and email about the waiver to [hidden email] but I never received a response. I think it makes sense to send one or two follow up emails spaced out, as most of the time the emails might get lost, forgotten, and sometimes after a few follow ups we get the waiver back.

On 13 August 2018 at 17:07, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've (as in the LWG) have received a mail from the City of Gold Coast concerning multiple repeat requests for CC BY waiver (no need to point out that that can be annoying). IMHO the AUS community already documents what is going on rather well https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue so this may simply be a one off incident.

So in any case, could you all try to avoid this happening as far as possible? While I don't quite see a Newbie sending such a request maybe it would be a good idea to send welcome mails and point to the list if that isn't already happening now (simplest way to do that is to get a new mapper RSS feed from Pascal Neis https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm?c=Australia#4/-29.68/133.30).

Thanks

Simon

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au



_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

Graeme Fitzpatrick
In reply to this post by SimonPoole


On 13 August 2018 at 17:44, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could naturally be, they didn't give me details, so it is a bit difficult to find out what has gone wrong (if anything). I can follow up with them, maybe something simply got lost in the mail. 
Thanks Simon, that would be good if you can talk to them.

If they've approached LWG, I guess they want more information?

Thanks

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

SimonPoole



Am 13.08.2018 um 22:50 schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick:


On 13 August 2018 at 17:44, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could naturally be, they didn't give me details, so it is a bit difficult to find out what has gone wrong (if anything). I can follow up with them, maybe something simply got lost in the mail. 
Thanks Simon, that would be good if you can talk to them.

If they've approached LWG, I guess they want more information?

Yes, I've received some follow up questions that I'm in the process of answering now.

Simon


Thanks

Graeme


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

Andrew Harvey-3
Thanks Simon! I understand all agencies need to do their own due diligence in determining if they can agree to the waiver or not, but as you've seen at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue there are a number of other agencies in Australia who have agreed.

On 14 August 2018 at 18:53, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:



Am 13.08.2018 um 22:50 schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick:


On 13 August 2018 at 17:44, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could naturally be, they didn't give me details, so it is a bit difficult to find out what has gone wrong (if anything). I can follow up with them, maybe something simply got lost in the mail. 
Thanks Simon, that would be good if you can talk to them.

If they've approached LWG, I guess they want more information?

Yes, I've received some follow up questions that I'm in the process of answering now.

Simon


Thanks

Graeme


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au



_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

Graeme Fitzpatrick
In reply to this post by SimonPoole



On 14 August 2018 at 18:53, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I've received some follow up questions that I'm in the process of answering now.


Thanks Simon!

Do you (LWG) get many such requests for further info? Is it something that could / should be amended in the basic "We are OSM, could we please get access to your data" letter?

Thanks

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City of Gold Coast / repeat requests of CC BY waivers

SimonPoole



Am 14.08.2018 um 23:23 schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick:



On 14 August 2018 at 18:53, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I've received some follow up questions that I'm in the process of answering now.


Thanks Simon!

Do you (LWG) get many such requests for further info? Is it something that could / should be amended in the basic "We are OSM, could we please get access to your data" letter?

In general no, not quite sure if that is a good sign or not though :-)

Simon

Thanks

Graeme


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment