Comments on Instructions for Task #1245

Tom Taylor-2
I spent a few hours trying to get started on Task #1245 Burkina Faso,
consolidated mapping, Base Roads Check
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1245> last night, but gave up in the
end. I had two problems (with another down the line, probably):

-- I had forgotten, if I ever knew, how to add presets in JOSM. It
didn't help that I muddled presets and plugins in my mind. A couple of
sentences should be added to say how to do this. I don't mind updating
that part of the Wiki, assuming I have the authority.

--  The second point is that the instructions usually provide a URL for
the imagery to be ysed. I couldn't find any such URL. As a general
comment, the gRoads link is to to a text description, and if you do a
lot of link-following from there you eventually get to the database
gRoads uses. But I don't think that is what the project activators intended.

-- It's not clear what that preset is for. You probably need a few lines
explaining that.

I believe these comments also apply to two or three sister tasks.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454

Re: Comments on Instructions for Task #1245

Jo-2
The preset is a simple text file (Ok, XML). You download it, then you us F12, Tagging Presets to point JOSM to it. Now it's a new entry under Presets in the menu. That's not entirely practical yet.

You can do right mouse button on the task bar though, and add buttons for the different presets.

One preset helps to map highway, surface, source and source:date in one go.

The imagery used is simply Bing. Use Right mouse button where there is no data, Show Tile Info to know the date of the imagery.

Sometimes the imagery is of low resulotion or there is cloud cover and thus unusable. You now have a button to easily mark that (fixme=low accuracy).

The idea of the task is also to mark the sideways of the main road. There is another button, which adds fixme=unfinished.

There is also a button which addes fixme=cannot be completed. I forget when to use that one.

Roads tend to get split up, based on the quality of the imagery and of its date in these tasks.

Feel free to add this explanation to the TM instructions, if they are clear enough.

Maybe it should be emphasized these sort of tasks don't require each and every building to be mapped, but we do like to know where the settlements/villages/cities are.

The bounds of the tasks are merely a 'suggestion' and it's unlikely you'll have conflicts with nearby tasks, so there is no real need to stop where the download ended. Just like there is no real need to keep mapping to the edge of the downloaded area.

About the source tags. I had started to add the source tag on the changeset, instead of on each and every object. Therefore, my personal preference would be to not use source, but only use source:date with a list like:

source:date=Bing:2014;Mapbox:2011

Usually just source:date=Bing:2013 though.

That's not what the preset suggests however.

Polyglot