Complicated traffic light combinations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Complicated traffic light combinations

Andy Townsend
Hello,

I've just mapped the traffic lights for a river crossing in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/71005300 (Elvington in
Yorkshire, England).  There are at least 6 different sets of lights,
some to control car traffic only, some cycle traffic only, some a
combination (including in some cases also horse traffic). Some lights
are button controlled (buttons exist for cars, horse riders and
cyclists).  I've tried to follow the "tag all incoming ways" example at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtraffic_signals .

All of the ways where signals are are shared between car, horse and
cycle traffic.  There's the remains of a paint line on the road over the
bridge which is supposed to indicate a cycle lane (I think). 
Pedestrians just have to take their chances - there are a couple of
stone refuges on the bridge for them to hide dip into out of the way of
cars.  All of the buttons and lights are geared to allow people in
whatever mode of transport to get across the bridge; none of them are
for non-car traffic to cross the road. There may be ASLs for cyclists at
one set of lights either side of the bridge, but unfortunately I can't
remember and don't have notes on it.

Along with which direction the light points and what traffic it is
designed to control I've added the button info only as note tags at this
stage, but is there a better way of doing this?

Best Regards,

Andy



_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Complicated traffic light combinations

Warin
On 07/06/19 08:58, Andy Townsend wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just mapped the traffic lights for a river crossing in
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/71005300 (Elvington in
> Yorkshire, England).

>
> Along with which direction the light points and what traffic it is
> designed to control I've added the button info only as note tags at
> this stage, but is there a better way of doing this?

I don't think the 'note' key is used by renders, it is mean for
communication between mappers.
I would use the 'description' key as it may go on to maps so that may
communicate to both mappers and map users.

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Complicated traffic light combinations

AlaskaDave
Actually, OSMand will display notes if you enable that feature. It's a useful tool if you happen to be an OSM mapper.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 3:21 PM Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/06/19 08:58, Andy Townsend wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just mapped the traffic lights for a river crossing in
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/71005300 (Elvington in
> Yorkshire, England).

>
> Along with which direction the light points and what traffic it is
> designed to control I've added the button info only as note tags at
> this stage, but is there a better way of doing this?

I don't think the 'note' key is used by renders, it is mean for
communication between mappers.
I would use the 'description' key as it may go on to maps so that may
communicate to both mappers and map users.

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Complicated traffic light combinations

Andy Townsend
In reply to this post by Warin
On 07/06/2019 00:19, Warin wrote:
>
> I don't think the 'note' key is used by renders, it is mean for
> communication between mappers.
>
That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen here!

Best Regards,

Andy



_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Complicated traffic light combinations

Graeme Fitzpatrick
In reply to this post by AlaskaDave


On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 09:35, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, OSMand will display notes if you enable that feature. It's a useful tool if you happen to be an OSM mapper.

I know you can see the Description & as well as various tag details, but how do you see Notes, thanks Dave?

Thanks

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Complicated traffic light combinations

AlaskaDave
There is a switch in the Show submenu of the Configure Map menu named OSM Notes, Flick it on and the notes appear.

Dave

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:52 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 09:35, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, OSMand will display notes if you enable that feature. It's a useful tool if you happen to be an OSM mapper.

I know you can see the Description & as well as various tag details, but how do you see Notes, thanks Dave?

Thanks

Graeme


--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Travel Blog at http://dswarthout.blogspot.com

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging