Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

John Bryant

Hi all, please see the following message below:

“What should we do about upcoming conferences for Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G) and State of the Map (SotM) within our Oceania region?”

Image by @mapmakerdavid

We didn’t have an answer to this question at the last OSGeo Oceania board meeting. At the moment, no one is volunteering to chair. No one is backing a city with commitment, and that is a problem we hope to solve.

Pertinent is that the international FOSS4G will be held somewhere outside of Europe or North America in 2021 and a call for a two-page Expression Of Interest is coming in September. We have a very compelling case for bringing the international community to our region, if we try.

Are you keen to see FOSS4G & SotM continue in our region? Do you have ideas about where and how? Would you like to help make it happen? Are you interested in mentoring or being mentored by a bunch of committed volunteers who have worked on prior FOSS4G events? If so, why don’t you talk to us? Come join our email list and introduce yourself. We particularly want to hear ideas about what we should do about FOSS4G in the next two years.

Some history:

  • 2009: FOSS4G-International in Sydney. During the global financial crisis, we had lower attendance than expected, but managed to stay profitable when similar conferences were losing money.

  • 2018: FOSS4G SotM Oceania in Melbourne. Exceeded expectations for size, sponsorship, activities, and engagement.

  • 2019: FOSS4G SotM Oceania Wellington: Has already exceeded sponsorship targets and sold out early bird tickets within a week.

  • 2020: FOSS4G SotM Oceania: Where?

  • 2021: FOSS4G-International Should we bid for it?

We are looking forward to hearing from you,

John Bryant (OSGeo Oceania president) and Cameron Shorter (scribe).

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

adam steer
hey community

I want to temper this a little with Bruce Bannerman’s recent and very relevant comments on where OSGeo Oceania and FOSS4G SotM Oceania are at. The main question being:

‘how many things can we do at once?’

In my mind, a laser focus on bedding in OSGeo Oceania and sorting out all the wrinkles with respect to OSGeo and OSM chapterhood / board processes / who the org represents / how to represent people who don’t feel immediately bonded to the idea is the first community priority.

Yes, since 2017 we’ve had remarkable success and we should aim to keep that momentum. To use an analogy, I feel this revitalised fast-growing tree of OSGeo Oceania needs a broader base and deeper roots right now.

We need to establish and broaden our regional connections and volunteer base.

With that in mind, it’s definitely time to start thinking about a 2020 regional event. I’m sure the OSGeo Oceania board will be looking for proposals soon!

Those are my thoughts - I hope they’re taken as virtual organic mulch and well composted manure for the future of OSGeo Oceania, and not cold water….

Regards,

Adam

Re: [Pacific] Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

John Bryant
Hi Edwin, thanks a lot for that. Great to hear from you & Dominic that there is energy for FOSS4G & SotM in the Pacific :)

One of the critical components for conference success is a group of energetic people who will lead the way. At this stage we're looking for those people, willing to do the hard work to bring the conference to their region. We don't have a formal process at this point, but last year the Wellington team put in a Letter of Intent [1], which was very helpful... I think something like this would help a lot! But we're also happy to just begin a conversation around what would be involved.

Cheers
John

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 03:18, Edwin Liava'a <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

Very well received and please find herewith my proposed answer to your 2 questions.

2020: FOSS4G SotM Oceania: Where?

* How about Fiji?

2021: FOSS4G-International Should we bid for it?

* Yes

Best regards,

Edwin

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 21:20, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Edwin Liava'a
Chief Executive Officer
Tonga Cable Limited
Vuna Road, Sopu
P O Box 33, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Telephone: (+676) 21616
Web: www.tongacable.to | Email: [hidden email]

               武士道
"Always At Your Service"

DISCLAIMER:
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not use copy or disclose the information contained in this message or any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the Tonga Cable Limited (TCL). This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks.

Re: Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

John Bryant
Hi all, forwarding a response from Alyssa Wright (with her permission):

Hi!

I wanted to say that I think it's very important to have an Oceania FoSS4G / SOTM. The geography is so expansive in both mileage and innovation. There is so much going on.

Maybe a bi-annual conference and/or coordination with HOT efforts in Indonesia would lighten the burden and diversify the funding/attendance/etc.

And, if it makes a difference, we also have been having trouble finding hosts for SOTMUS.

Anyway, I am not sure I can manage joining another email list ;( but I wanted to share my support for ongoing Oceania events. Let me know what I can do to help!

Best,
Alyssa.