Correct tagging of railway=platform where it is a sandwich platform

Correct tagging of railway=platform where it is a sandwich platform

Ewen Hill
I'm interested in the preferred way of creating a sandwich railway platform
where
a) there are railway lines on both sides and
b) trains stop to pick up passengers on both sides and
c) there are few physical barriers between both platforms and
d) there is sufficient aerial imagery to allow detailed platform layout

Is it better to
a) split the platform in the middle or
b) add platform_edge and include platform number as the reference or
c) no need to do anything, the reference="platform 8/9" on the platform
polygon suffices and platform_edge is overkill.

Thanks in anticipation

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Australia-f5416966.html

Re: Correct tagging of railway=platform where it is a sandwich platform

Andrew Harvey-3
All methods are in current use:

An example of A: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-34.04169/151.12293
An example of C: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-33.67210/151.11468

I wasn't aware of platform_edge
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform_edge but in
light of the detailed wiki write-up of it, I think it's better if we
migrate to B. So map the whole platform area, but then add linear ways
for platform_edge along the sides.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 21:44, Ewen Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm interested in the preferred way of creating a sandwich railway platform
> where
> a) there are railway lines on both sides and
> b) trains stop to pick up passengers on both sides and
> c) there are few physical barriers between both platforms and
> d) there is sufficient aerial imagery to allow detailed platform layout
>
> Is it better to
> a) split the platform in the middle or
> b) add platform_edge and include platform number as the reference or
> c) no need to do anything, the reference="platform 8/9" on the platform
> polygon suffices and platform_edge is overkill.
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Australia-f5416966.html

Re: Correct tagging of railway=platform where it is a sandwich platform

Warin
I too am not aware of 'platform edge'.

Of what use is it, other than making more work/adding data bloat?

Not used by route relation for public transport.

Rendered?

Used by on the fly routers?

I prefer to split the platform so it is clear which side is what, so I am for A.

But am not worried by it.

On 18/02/19 23:23, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> All methods are in current use:
>
> An example of A: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-34.04169/151.12293
> An example of C: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-33.67210/151.11468
>
> I wasn't aware of platform_edge
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform_edge but in
> light of the detailed wiki write-up of it, I think it's better if we
> migrate to B. So map the whole platform area, but then add linear ways
> for platform_edge along the sides.
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 21:44, Ewen Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm interested in the preferred way of creating a sandwich railway platform
>> where
>> a) there are railway lines on both sides and
>> b) trains stop to pick up passengers on both sides and
>> c) there are few physical barriers between both platforms and
>> d) there is sufficient aerial imagery to allow detailed platform layout
>>
>> Is it better to
>> a) split the platform in the middle or
>> b) add platform_edge and include platform number as the reference or
>> c) no need to do anything, the reference="platform 8/9" on the platform
>> polygon suffices and platform_edge is overkill.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Australia-f5416966.html

Re: Correct tagging of railway=platform where it is a sandwich platform

Ewen Hill
Thank you Andrew and Warin,
    There are 1734 platform_edge elements, mainly in Germany and surrounding countries as well as in London and 3 in South Korea. I see this probably being a better solution for underground  or complex interchanges where platforms are not visible however I do think this is overkill and are 1700+ elements going to become standard in all the rendering engines as Warin commented/

The backstory is that most Melbourne stations with a sandwich platform have been commented on that they need to be split and this appears to be a rather tedious process that has little reward to very few. I want to make sure that we are future proofing this and the best way to proceed.

Ewen

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 07:46, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I too am not aware of 'platform edge'.

Of what use is it, other than making more work/adding data bloat?

Not used by route relation for public transport.

Rendered?

Used by on the fly routers?

I prefer to split the platform so it is clear which side is what, so I am for A.

But am not worried by it.

On 18/02/19 23:23, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> All methods are in current use:
>
> An example of A: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-34.04169/151.12293
> An example of C: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-33.67210/151.11468
>
> I wasn't aware of platform_edge
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform_edge but in
> light of the detailed wiki write-up of it, I think it's better if we
> migrate to B. So map the whole platform area, but then add linear ways
> for platform_edge along the sides.
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 21:44, Ewen Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm interested in the preferred way of creating a sandwich railway platform
>> where
>> a) there are railway lines on both sides and
>> b) trains stop to pick up passengers on both sides and
>> c) there are few physical barriers between both platforms and
>> d) there is sufficient aerial imagery to allow detailed platform layout
>>
>> Is it better to
>> a) split the platform in the middle or
>> b) add platform_edge and include platform number as the reference or
>> c) no need to do anything, the reference="platform 8/9" on the platform
>> polygon suffices and platform_edge is overkill.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Australia-f5416966.html

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia

Indeed, the examples at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform_edge don't split the platform into two halfs, they leave the island intact and use a multipolygon relation to assign platform numbers to the platform edge, with the island as a contiguous area.