Correct way to tag pedestrian crossings with traffic signals

Correct way to tag pedestrian crossings with traffic signals

Thomas Manson
I am trying to determine the best way to tag pedestrian crossings.

These are the map features that I am trying to tag: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3500829415 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2039208753

They are currently tagged:
crossing:traffic_signals
highway:traffic_signals

to be 2 ways to tag this, with the alternative being:
highway:crossing
crossing:traffic_signals
for the cases (like this is) where the pedestrian crossing is not separately mapped - in this case it is only a pedestrian crossing, not an intersection.

My reading is that the second way is preferred for this type of crossing. Am I correct?

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Correct way to tag pedestrian crossings with traffic signals

Marc Gemis
Hallo Thomas,

I only use the second method. If I see the first one, I add the nodes
for the crossings, tag them as in the second way and remove
crossing=traffic_signals from the original node.

regards

m.