Country names

WanMil
Hi all,

I am thinking about the country names that mkgmap puts into the map.

(The following lines are valid for the locator branch but the
differences to the trunk are quite small)

At the moment the country name is taken from the country relation using
the tag order defined by the name-tag-list option. This name is looked
up in the LocatorConfig.xml. If there is a match (there should be one),
the name defined in the LocatorConfig.xml is used as map wide country name.
There is the shortcoming that this name need not be the same as
specified by the name-tag-list option. So there is some work to do if
you want to build a french map that uses french country names only.

Would it make sense to use the LocatorConfig.xml just as a mapping tool
for the three letter code (name:en => three letter code) and the real
name is taken as defined by the name-tag-list option?
This has the shortcoming that the relation names contains some
administrative stuff "Federal Republic of Germany" instead of "Germany".

Any thoughts?

WanMil

Re: Country names

Marko Mäkelä
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:39:57PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>This has the shortcoming that the relation names contains some
>administrative stuff "Federal Republic of Germany" instead of
>"Germany".

The relation name could be written something like this:

official_name="Bundesrepublik Deutschland"
official_name:de="Bundesrepublik Deutschland"
official_name:en="Federal Republic of Germany"
official_name:fi="Saksan liittotasavalta"
name="Deutschland"
name:de="Deutschland"
name:en="Germany"
name:fi="Saksa"
name:sv="Tyskland"

Finland is defined like this, with both official_name and name:
Russia uses alt_name for the "everyday" name and name for the official
name:

Best regards,

        Marko

Re: Country names

Marko Mäkelä
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:22:36PM +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>Russia uses alt_name for the "everyday" name and name for the official
>name:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/60189

I noticed that a few languages use name:* instead of alt_name:* for the
"everyday" name and do not define the official name at all for Russia.
Has there been any discussion on this on the tagging lists? I would not
want to start an edit war.

        Marko

Re: Country names

WanMil
Am 09.06.2011 20:33, schrieb Marko Mäkelä:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:22:36PM +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>> Russia uses alt_name for the "everyday" name and name for the official
>> name:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/60189
>
> I noticed that a few languages use name:* instead of alt_name:* for the
> "everyday" name and do not define the official name at all for Russia.
> Has there been any discussion on this on the tagging lists? I would not
> want to start an edit war.
>
> Marko

I have also seen name:* (official name) and short_name:*.

Searching for postal_code

railrun

short question. In the style files I use the following lines:
mkgmap:postal_code!=* & addr:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${addr:postcode}' }
mkgmap:postal_code!=* & openGeoDB:postal_codes=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${openGeoDB:postal_codes}' }
mkgmap:postal_code!=* & mkgmap:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postalcode}' }

But in Mapsource (or Garmin/Basecamp), I couldn't search for postal_codes. So what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Re: Searching for postal_code

WanMil
Hi Martin,

you need to use the locator branch (I am sure your are doing so).

The last line in your style rules contains an error in the set
(mkgmap:postcode instead of mkgmap:postalcode):
mkgmap:postal_code!=* & mkgmap:postcode=* { set
mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postcode}' }

What are you searching for? POIs? Street names? Which search fields are
you filling? There might be some problems left with searching for zip
codes. It's not very well tested.

WanMil

> Hi all,
>
> short question. In the style files I use the following lines:
> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  addr:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${addr:postcode}' }
> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  openGeoDB:postal_codes=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${openGeoDB:postal_codes}' }
> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  mkgmap:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postalcode}' }
>
> But in Mapsource (or Garmin/Basecamp), I couldn't search for postal_codes. So what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

railrun
>From the Nuvi (commercial map) of my Girlfriend I know, that when you search for streets, it also shows the postal-code. In Mapsource you can search for postal-codes, it also suggest postal-codes, but it couldn't find any streets.

Other question: Is the pbf-support already included in r1965? I still get:
Error at line 1, col 1
Bad file format: test.osm.pbf
Error parsing file

With http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1955.zip and http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1962.zip it works.

Cheers
Martin

Am 13.06.2011 um 15:33 schrieb WanMil:

> Hi Martin,
>
> you need to use the locator branch (I am sure your are doing so).
>
> The last line in your style rules contains an error in the set
> (mkgmap:postcode instead of mkgmap:postalcode):
> mkgmap:postal_code!=* & mkgmap:postcode=* { set
> mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postcode}' }
>
> What are you searching for? POIs? Street names? Which search fields are
> you filling? There might be some problems left with searching for zip
> codes. It's not very well tested.
>
> WanMil
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> short question. In the style files I use the following lines:
>> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  addr:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${addr:postcode}' }
>> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  openGeoDB:postal_codes=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${openGeoDB:postal_codes}' }
>> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  mkgmap:postcode=* { set mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postalcode}' }
>>
>> But in Mapsource (or Garmin/Basecamp), I couldn't search for postal_codes. So what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

WanMil
>> From the Nuvi (commercial map) of my Girlfriend I know, that when you search for streets, it also shows the postal-code. In Mapsource you can search for postal-codes, it also suggest postal-codes, but it couldn't find any streets.

Postal codes are not shown when you search for streets but as far as I
know it is possible to search for them. Maybe the index format must be
changed slightly so that the postal codes are also displayed.

> Other question: Is the pbf-support already included in r1965? I still get:
> Error at line 1, col 1
> Bad file format: test.osm.pbf
> Error parsing file

Yes. It is included since the first days of the locator branch. I have
tested it today and it's working fine.

Please check carefully that the latest osmpbf.jar and protobuf.jar are
in the classpath.

WanMil

Am 16.06.2011 um 20:13 schrieb WanMil:

>>> From the Nuvi (commercial map) of my Girlfriend I know, that when you search for streets, it also shows the postal-code. In Mapsource you can search for postal-codes, it also suggest postal-codes, but it couldn't find any streets.
>
> Postal codes are not shown when you search for streets but as far as I
> know it is possible to search for them. Maybe the index format must be
> changed slightly so that the postal codes are also displayed.

This would be great!

>> Other question: Is the pbf-support already included in r1965? I still get:
>> Error at line 1, col 1
>> Bad file format: test.osm.pbf
>> Error parsing file
>>

> Yes. It is included since the first days of the locator branch. I have
> tested it today and it's working fine.
>
> Please check carefully that the latest osmpbf.jar and protobuf.jar are
> in the classpath.
>
> WanMil

How can I check this?! Isn't it included in the jar-file? I didn't compile it from trunk. I downloaded the following file:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar
Don't forget, that it works with the "normal" versions.

Martin

>> With http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1955.zip and http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1962.zip it works.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>>
>> Am 13.06.2011 um 15:33 schrieb WanMil:
>>
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> you need to use the locator branch (I am sure your are doing so).
>>>
>>> The last line in your style rules contains an error in the set
>>> (mkgmap:postcode instead of mkgmap:postalcode):
>>> mkgmap:postal_code!=*&  mkgmap:postcode=* { set
>>> mkgmap:postal_code='${mkgmap:postcode}' }
>>>
>>> What are you searching for? POIs? Street names? Which search fields are
>>> you filling? There might be some problems left with searching for zip
>>> codes. It's not very well tested.
>>>
>>> WanMil

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

WanMil

>>> Other question: Is the pbf-support already included in r1965? I still get:
>>> Error at line 1, col 1
>>> Bad file format: test.osm.pbf
>>> Error parsing file
>>>

>> Yes. It is included since the first days of the locator branch. I have
>> tested it today and it's working fine.
>>
>> Please check carefully that the latest osmpbf.jar and protobuf.jar are
>> in the classpath.
>>
>> WanMil
>>

> How can I check this?! Isn't it included in the jar-file? I didn't compile it from trunk. I downloaded the following file:
> http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar
> Don't forget, that it works with the "normal" versions.
>
> Martin

The jar files are not included in the locator branch.

Download the trunk
(http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1962.zip), unzip the file
and replace the mkgmap.jar with the download of the locator branch
(http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar). It should
work then.

WanMil

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

railrun
Coming back to the postal codes. I made a short test with the NUVI from my girlfriend.
1. Searching with the Garmin-Map: You have the choice to search for City/Zip/City&Zip
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2194/115zv.png
In the results you see it this way:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4187/137phj.png
2. Using a mkgmap-map: You can search only for City
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9313/189g.png
And the results:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/102/54133456.png

So searching for postal codes do not work. I know this is a problem with the index and not with the locator branch...

Cheers
Martin

Am 16.06.2011 um 21:09 schrieb WanMil:

>>> Yes. It is included since the first days of the locator branch. I have
>>> tested it today and it's working fine.
>>>
>>> Please check carefully that the latest osmpbf.jar and protobuf.jar are
>>> in the classpath.
>>>
>>> WanMil
>>>

>> How can I check this?! Isn't it included in the jar-file? I didn't compile it from trunk. I downloaded the following file:
>> http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar
>> Don't forget, that it works with the "normal" versions.
>>
>> Martin
>>

> The jar files are not included in the locator branch.
>
> Download the trunk
> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1962.zip), unzip the file
> and replace the mkgmap.jar with the download of the locator branch
> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar). It should
> work then.

Thanks, now it works ;)

> WanMil

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

railrun
Hello,

while searching for information how housenumbers are handled on Garmin devices I found a old thread.
Postal_codes:
When I use the display-tool I see that the zip-codes (mdr 6) are not sorted:

--------- MDR 6 (ZIPs) ---------------------------------------------------------
         |        |                         | Zip size: 2
         |        |                         | zip index 1
00f99def | 000000 | 40                      | 64 map number
00f99df0 | 000001 | 2a 00                   | the 42 zip in the map
00f99df2 | 000003 | 40 08 00                | offset in LBL 0x000840
         |        |                         | zip index 2
00f99df5 | 000006 | 40                      | 64 map number
00f99df6 | 000007 | 35 00                   | the 53 zip in the map
00f99df8 | 000009 | 40 2b 00                | offset in LBL 0x002b40
         |        |                         | zip index 3

I don't think/hope that sorting the postal_codes will fix the problem...
I'ver read somewhere, that only in NT-Maps postal_codes are searchable... Maybe we just have to set some bits in the header...

//Martin

Am 19.06.2011 um 09:34 schrieb Martin:

> Coming back to the postal codes. I made a short test with the NUVI from my girlfriend.
> 1. Searching with the Garmin-Map: You have the choice to search for City/Zip/City&Zip
> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2194/115zv.png
> In the results you see it this way:
> http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4187/137phj.png
> 2. Using a mkgmap-map: You can search only for City
> http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9313/189g.png
> And the results:
> http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/102/54133456.png
>
> So searching for postal codes do not work. I know this is a problem with the index and not with the locator branch...
>
> Cheers
> Martin

>>> How can I check this?! Isn't it included in the jar-file? I didn't compile it from trunk. I downloaded the following file:
>>> http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar
>>> Don't forget, that it works with the "normal" versions.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>> The jar files are not included in the locator branch.
>>
>> Download the trunk
>> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-r1962.zip), unzip the file
>> and replace the mkgmap.jar with the download of the locator branch
>> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/mkgmap-locator-r1965.jar). It should
>> work then.
>>

> Thanks, now it works ;)
>
>> WanMil

Re: Searching for postal_code & pbf-support

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

> while searching for information how housenumbers are handled on Garmin devices I found a old thread.
> Postal_codes:
> When I use the display-tool I see that the zip-codes (mdr 6) are not sorted:

They are sorted, first, according to the text of the label (ie the text
of the zip code itself), and then by the map number (for entries that
have the same zip).

They don't appear to be sorted within the map tile LBL section that
could be a problem -- everything else in that section is sorted.

> I don't think/hope that sorting the postal_codes will fix the problem...
> I'ver read somewhere, that only in NT-Maps postal_codes are searchable... Maybe we just have to set some bits in the header...

I agree, I think the fact that you are not given the option to search on
zips means that it is not going to work. If sorting were the problem you
would have the option, but the search would often fail. That has been
the experience everywhere else anyway.

..Steve