Cycleway or Footway

Bill Leddy
Hi All,

I've got a separated way on a highway bridge. It's not marked specifically as a cycleway but it is connected to a cycleway. It's essentially a wide sidewalk.

So which would be the best way to tag it, as highway=cycleway + foot=yes or highway=foot + bicycle=yes?

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

Re: Cycleway or Footway

Xan-3
In my opinion:
highway=foot + bicycle=yes

because officially it is not cycleway. You also could put a note tag.

Regards,
Xan

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:08:37 -0800
Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> ha escrit:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a separated way on a highway bridge. It's not marked specifically as a cycleway but it is connected to a cycleway. It's essentially a wide sidewalk.
>
> So which would be the best way to tag it, as highway=cycleway + foot=yes or highway=foot + bicycle=yes?
>
> Regards,
>     Bill Leddy

Re: Cycleway or Footway

althio
Hi Bill

I agree with Xan about the 'not officially cycleway'.
Thanks for coming and asking.

Be careful the proper tag is:
highway=footway

From the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
Although where a route is primarily available for pedestrians but is
also usable by bicycles you can use highway=footway and bicycle=yes

althio

On 13 February 2015 at 09:30, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my opinion:
> highway=foot + bicycle=yes
>
> because officially it is not cycleway. You also could put a note tag.
>
> Regards,
> Xan
>
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:08:37 -0800
> Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> ha escrit:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've got a separated way on a highway bridge. It's not marked specifically as a cycleway but it is connected to a cycleway. It's essentially a wide sidewalk.
>>
>> So which would be the best way to tag it, as highway=cycleway + foot=yes or highway=foot + bicycle=yes?

Re: Cycleway or Footway

Bill Leddy
Thanks to all for your replies.

I agree that Footway seems to be the better choice. This is a pretty long bridge and distant from much in the way of urban amenities so I would prefer to cycle rather than walk over it, but to any causal observer I'm sure it looks like a sidewalk.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 12:48 AM, althio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill
>
> I agree with Xan about the 'not officially cycleway'.
> Thanks for coming and asking.
>
> Be careful the proper tag is:
> highway=footway
>
> From the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
> Although where a route is primarily available for pedestrians but is
> also usable by bicycles you can use highway=footway and bicycle=yes
>
> althio
>

>> On 13 February 2015 at 09:30, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In my opinion:
>> highway=foot + bicycle=yes
>>
>> because officially it is not cycleway. You also could put a note tag.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Xan
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:08:37 -0800
>> Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> ha escrit:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've got a separated way on a highway bridge. It's not marked specifically as a cycleway but it is connected to a cycleway. It's essentially a wide sidewalk.
>>>
>>> So which would be the best way to tag it, as highway=cycleway + foot=yes or highway=foot + bicycle=yes?

Re: Cycleway or Footway

ianmac nz
Hi Bill

Very good to ask the question.
The Wiki is always a good place to check as most tags are very well documented.
Bear in mind though that the usage is often different in different regions of the world, sometimes even within the same country!

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcycleway

Cheers

On 14 February 2015 at 02:57, Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies.

I agree that Footway seems to be the better choice. This is a pretty long bridge and distant from much in the way of urban amenities so I would prefer to cycle rather than walk over it, but to any causal observer I'm sure it looks like a sidewalk.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 12:48 AM, althio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill
>
> I agree with Xan about the 'not officially cycleway'.
> Thanks for coming and asking.
>
> Be careful the proper tag is:
> highway=footway
>
> From the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
> Although where a route is primarily available for pedestrians but is
> also usable by bicycles you can use highway=footway and bicycle=yes
>
> althio
>

>> On 13 February 2015 at 09:30, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In my opinion:
>> highway=foot + bicycle=yes
>>
>> because officially it is not cycleway. You also could put a note tag.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Xan
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:08:37 -0800
>> Bill Leddy <[hidden email]> ha escrit:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've got a separated way on a highway bridge. It's not marked specifically as a cycleway but it is connected to a cycleway. It's essentially a wide sidewalk.
>>>
>>> So which would be the best way to tag it, as highway=cycleway + foot=yes or highway=foot + bicycle=yes?

Re: Cycleway or Footway

ianmac nz
This one is also very useful.....

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle