Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

General Discussion mailing list

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)
This is phenomenal! It is great to finally have an open source cycling
map style, which looks gorgeous too :)

Thank you to everyone involved!

Antonin

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

General Discussion mailing list
After comparing styles a bit my impression is that the new one
focuses more on bicycle infrastructure displaying far more
of it, but without contour lines and far less pronounced
bicycle routes

Jan 14, 2021, 16:32 by [hidden email]:
This is phenomenal! It is great to finally have an open source cycling
map style, which looks gorgeous too :)

Thank you to everyone involved!

Antonin

On 14/01/2021 13:01, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
Congratulations to people who made this map style, host servers
and people who handled adding it to OSM website!

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/50.0770/19.9333&layers=Y
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/50.0770/19.9333&layers=Y>

Potentially useful docs:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Browsing#Layers
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Browsing#Layers>
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers>
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers>

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

Paul Johnson-3

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:08 AM Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
After comparing styles a bit my impression is that the new one
focuses more on bicycle infrastructure displaying far more
of it, but without contour lines and far less pronounced
bicycle routes

 Hopefully we can get the legend on OSM, too.

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

john whelan-2
Locally it doesn't make any sense.  Some paths that cyclists can use are blue, others are green.  Some 60 km/hr highways without a cycling lane have a blue dotted path along them.  Well yes if you don't mind cars honking you as you cycle.  There seems to be no difference between a highway that is a sharrow and one that has conventional cycling lanes and they are quite different.

Tenth line / Innes road /Merley drive/ area Ottawa Canada.

Cheerio John

Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote on 2021-01-14 07:01:
Congratulations to people who made this map style, host servers
and people who handled adding it to OSM website!

Potentially useful docs:

Sent from Postbox

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

General Discussion mailing list
It is based on OSM data, maybe cycleway data is not correctly tagged there?

Jan 14, 2021, 17:42 by [hidden email]:

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is based on OSM data, maybe cycleway data is not correctly tagged there?

Another possibility is that OSM is accurate and the local cycling infrastructure really is that bad.  I know Oklahoma City has at least one four-way freeway (a freeway running down the median of a surface expressway, effectively allowing the expressway to serve as frontage to the freeway) where the 55 MPH frontage expressway (connected directly to the freeway by ramps every half mile or so) have sharrows, no shoulders, narrow lanes, and curbs.  I don't think it's tagged in OSM yet and I'm not down that direction in the state often enough to resurvey it myself.  If it is, this would be a perfect example of OSM accurately representing intensely bad cycling infrastructure.

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

john whelan-2
I checked in JOSM and the tags looked fine there.  I suspect they hadn't come across sharrow and the cycling routes might be recommended by someone but Tenth line road is not something that most cyclists would cycle on and certainly isn't tagged as such.  I
understand it is supposed to get cycle lanes sometime in the future.

The paths are tagged the exactly same except for the width, one says 1.5 the other 2 but both allow cycles.

The area is interesting because of the mixture of things for cyclists.  The width thing is important as the area is designed to allow cyclists to access the network of paths to keep them away from traffic.

Cheerio John

Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote on 2021-01-14 11:44:
[...]

Joseph Eisenberg
Wow, thanks to everyone who made this happen!

It looks like the hosting costs are provided by OpenStreetMap-France  who also host the Humanitarian style.

The style is on github, so if anyone has ideas, like adding contour lines, it looks like new issues and PRs can be opened here: https://github.com/cyclosm/cyclosm-cartocss-style/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

The map in Portland, Oregon is much more useful than the current OpenCycleMap since it better shows the types of infrastructure that we have (lots of "neighborhood greenways" with sharrows and low speed limits where cars are allowed but deprioritized): https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=portland%2C%20oregon#map=14/45.5348/-122.6411&layers=Y

Routes are often only on paper or barely signed, so focusing on actual infrastructure is an improvement.

-- Joseph Eisenberg

 (The French community is making us all look cheap in comparison. :-) The USA needs to step up by hosting a localized style. Perhaps the German community could host OpenTopoMap on the main page?)

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

cquest
Le 14/01/2021 à 18:56, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :

> Wow, thanks to everyone who made this happen!
>
> It looks like the hosting costs are provided by OpenStreetMap-France
>  who also host the Humanitarian style.
>
> The style is on github, so if anyone has ideas, like adding contour
> lines, it looks like new issues and PRs can be opened here:
> https://github.com/cyclosm/cyclosm-cartocss-style/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> The map in Portland, Oregon is much more useful than the current
> OpenCycleMap since it better shows the types of infrastructure that we
> have (lots of "neighborhood greenways" with sharrows and low speed
> limits where cars are allowed but deprioritized):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=portland%2C%20oregon#map=14/45.5348/-122.6411&layers=Y
>
> Routes are often only on paper or barely signed, so focusing on actual
> infrastructure is an improvement.
>
> -- Joseph Eisenberg
>
>  (The French community is making us all look cheap in comparison. :-)
> The USA needs to step up by hosting a localized style. Perhaps the
> German community could host OpenTopoMap on the main page?)

Yes Joseph, CyclOSM rendering is hosted by OSM France, like the
humanitarian style, FR style and many others*.

Technically, we have :

- a tile server running on a dedicated server donated and hosted by the
free foundation (free is a large ISP in France)

- a tile cache running in a VM hosted by Rezopole who manages a internet
exchange point in Lyon

OSM France servers and the hosted serices are listed on the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Serveurs_OpenStreetMap_France

This list should grow in the next weeks with new servers donated by OVH
with more power to handle tile rendering :)

The "cost" for us is close to zero. We upgraded some servers thru a call
for donation 2 years ago.

The main cost is human free time ;)

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

General Discussion mailing list
Can you link OSM way that is affected by
"Some 60 km/hr highways without a cycling lane have a blue dotted path" ?

Jan 14, 2021, 17:55 by [hidden email]:
[...]

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/45.4642/-75.4871&layers=Y

Look at tenth line road, blue dotted line.

I stand corrected someone has tagged it as having a cycle lane eight years ago.  The person hasn't mapped for more than a year, isn't local and I suspect looked at the sidewalk from a satellite image which has an asphalt strip between it and the highway on one side.   There is a cycle lane at the junction of Innes road but it terminates where the highway narrows.  The asphalt strip has curbs at both ends and is not the smoothest to ride on so I suspect it counts as sidewalk.

The sidewalks in Ottawa are pedestrian only, which is a city bylaw, and there are plans to add in cycle lanes on tenth line at some point in time.

Thanks for getting me to peer at it or I wouldn't have spotted it.

Cheerio John

14 January 2021 16:28
Can you link OSM way that is affected by
"Some 60 km/hr highways without a cycling lane have a blue dotted path" ?

Jan 14, 2021, 17:55 by [hidden email]:

14 January 2021 11:44
It is based on OSM data, maybe cycleway data is not correctly tagged there?

Jan 14, 2021, 17:42 by [hidden email]:

14 January 2021 07:01

--
Sent from Postbox

Re: Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

General Discussion mailing list
It sounds like new style works well - as always visualizing/using something
reveals plenty of mistakes in data :)

Jan 14, 2021, 23:05 by [hidden email]:

[...]

Ewen Hill
Splendide et chapeau Christian!
   I have just completed a detailed update of a 100km trail and found this rendering made it far more intuitive and even the bike tools icon renders well and camping works a treat.  The only one very minor item is that being in a vast country, it would be nice to still have a couple of the key icons, mainly water at above zoom level 15 /14 and that shelters could be included as well. E.G. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/8320594613#map=18/-34.90262/117.26458&layers=Y is great if you know it is there but not so great if you are looking at the entire route for places to stay.

Once again - thank you!

Regards

Ewen

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:40, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill