DEM contrast option?

jan meisters
I just made my first map with the new DEM-option and I´m impressed. Pretty easy.
But I wonder why DEM shading looses contrast in higher resolutions in BaseCamp:

My Style has background poly 4a and 4b (both transparent), however they are not mentioned in polygons. I wouldn´t know how to tag them anyway.
And even with a completely blanked typ-file the difference is visible:

HGT´s are 3“ data from viewfinderpanaramas.org

To keep the contrasted DEM up to higher resolutions/zooms I played with all DEM-options from help, and also with transparencies, but that had no effect - the softer shading remains.

I see the switch in Basecamp somewhere between assumed resolutions 20 and 22.
How is this switch defined? Is there a value to adjust this?

Jan

Re: DEM contrast option?

Felix Hartmann-2
if you have several dem resolution levels in mkgmap - then it will lose in detail (in order to zoom in/out faster). You could just create the map is a single dem resolution - then detail level is always the same.

On 4 July 2018 at 18:52, jan meisters <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just made my first map with the new DEM-option and I´m impressed. Pretty easy.
But I wonder why DEM shading looses contrast in higher resolutions in BaseCamp:

My Style has background poly 4a and 4b (both transparent), however they are not mentioned in polygons. I wouldn´t know how to tag them anyway.
And even with a completely blanked typ-file the difference is visible:

HGT´s are 3“ data from viewfinderpanaramas.org

To keep the contrasted DEM up to higher resolutions/zooms I played with all DEM-options from help, and also with transparencies, but that had no effect - the softer shading remains.

I see the switch in Basecamp somewhere between assumed resolutions 20 and 22.
How is this switch defined? Is there a value to adjust this?

Jan

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: DEM contrast option?

jan meisters
Tried a lot of dem-dist variations: fixed resolution as you hinted, decreasing and even inverted steps.
Unfortunately nothing changed the shown behavior.

What I´d like to see is the same CONTRAST in the shading over all resolutions.
In higher resolutions the darks of the DEM are clearly brighter, whatever dem-dists used.
With the blank screenshots I wanted to show that there is no additional (higher resolution) polygon in my style eventually hiding the DEM.

Had some success (at least on DEM contrasts) mixing levels and overview-levels, but that obviously breaks the rest of the map.

Jan

Am 04.07.2018 um 21:14 schrieb Felix Hartmann <[hidden email]>:

if you have several dem resolution levels in mkgmap - then it will lose in detail (in order to zoom in/out faster). You could just create the map is a single dem resolution - then detail level is always the same.

On 4 July 2018 at 18:52, jan meisters <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just made my first map with the new DEM-option and I´m impressed. Pretty easy.
But I wonder why DEM shading looses contrast in higher resolutions in BaseCamp:

<1DEM_low.jpg><2DEM_higk.jpg>

My Style has background poly 4a and 4b (both transparent), however they are not mentioned in polygons. I wouldn´t know how to tag them anyway.
And even with a completely blanked typ-file the difference is visible:

<3DEM_low-e.jpg><4DEM_high-e.jpg>

HGT´s are 3“ data from viewfinderpanaramas.org

To keep the contrasted DEM up to higher resolutions/zooms I played with all DEM-options from help, and also with transparencies, but that had no effect - the softer shading remains.

I see the switch in Basecamp somewhere between assumed resolutions 20 and 22.
How is this switch defined? Is there a value to adjust this?

Jan

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: DEM contrast option?

jan meisters
Which resolution exactly do you mean?
I already described that I tried different values for dem-dists (including one single resolution).
This, of course, has a huge effect on DETAILS, but not on CONTRAST.

Anybody has an idea how to adjust contrast?

Am 05.07.2018 um 20:20 schrieb Felix Hartmann <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Gerd Petermann
Hi Jan,

to be honest, I don't even understand how you produce the two different screen shots. If you prefer one of the two,
why/when do you use the other?

Gerd

HGT´s are 3“ data from viewfinderpanaramas.org<http://viewfinderpanaramas.org/>

To keep the contrasted DEM up to higher resolutions/zooms I played with all DEM-options from help, and also with transparencies, but that had no effect - the softer shading remains.

I see the switch in Basecamp somewhere between assumed resolutions 20 and 22.
How is this switch defined? Is there a value to adjust this?

Jan

Felix Hartman - Openmtbmap.org<http://openmtbmap.org/> & VeloMap.org<http://velomap.org/>
Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: DEM contrast option?

jan meisters
Hi Gerd,

all screenshots show the same part of the same map:
        - the first pair with the dedicated Typ-file
        - the second pair with a matching transparent Typ-file (all polygons, lines and points are transparent/invisible with this Typ)

Inside a pair the screenshots differ in the detail-settings of BaseCamp - see the dark overlay at the bottom.
        • 1: dedicated Typ - low detail BaseCamp
        • 2: dedicated Typ - high detail BaseCamp
        • 3: transparent Typ - low detail BaseCamp
        • 4: transparent Typ - high detail BaseCamp

I wanted to point out, that the contrast of the DEM lowers when viewing higher details in BaseCamp.
It´s clearly visible on the transparent view how less bright/dark the shading gets in higher details.

I would prefer to see the HIGHER contrasting DEM over all detail-settings in BaseCamp.

Question is how to adjust it. As the different strength in shading is rendered - shouldn´t there be a reason for it?
Any dem-dists, interpolation and overview-dem-dist combinations behaved as expected regarding DEM details - but not the contrast.

Any eventual mistake in my style I hope to disregard by the transparent view to the map.

Jan