DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Nuno Caldeira
Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...

Check yourself, head to https://www.dji.com/pt/flysafe/geo-map select your country, zoom in and check the data. Airports restriction areas seems not to be OSM data, but from other source.
Share your examples if you will.

Again, sadly no attribution... tried to request via Twitter https://twitter.com/iamnunocaldeira/status/1105897635796447235 .... silent as in moon why would they reply to a contributor blah. The Pandora box has been opened with exceptions about the attribution, if other don't attribute, why would they?

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Guillaume Rischard
Thank you Nuno for bringing this to our attention.

Everyone in this thread: Nuno is talking about the overlay *polygons*, not the background maps.

Indeed, in Luxembourg the polygons were copied from, e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/155215579 which I drew half- arbitrarily through the woods.

https://www.dji.com/lu/api/geo/areas?lng=6.1&lat=49.6&country=LU&search_radius=99999&drone=spark&level=1%2C2%2C4%2C7&zones_mode=total is the api called by the map.

Their json has:               [
                6.175669,
                49.65475
              ],

which is the exact same position as https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1676284933

DJI is copying our data without attributing us; there is no doubt about it.

Guillaume

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 23:51, Nuno Caldeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...
>
> Check yourself, head to https://www.dji.com/pt/flysafe/geo-map select your country, zoom in and check the data. Airports restriction areas seems not to be OSM data, but from other source.
> Share your examples if you will.
>
> Again, sadly no attribution... tried to request via Twitter https://twitter.com/iamnunocaldeira/status/1105897635796447235 .... silent as in moon why would they reply to a contributor blah. The Pandora box has been opened with exceptions about the attribution, if other don't attribute, why would they?

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Grant Slater
Hi Nuno,

> Check yourself, head to https://www.dji.com/pt/flysafe/geo-map select your country, zoom in and check the data. Airports restriction areas seems not to be OSM data, but from other source.
> Share your examples if you will.

Yes, on a brief inspection it does look like it is OpenStreetMap data.
Sourced some time between sometime between 27 July 2017 and 14 March
2018.
Looks like they also directly used the names of prisons.
Example: "HMP Isle of Wight (Albany)"

Maybe they should donate a few survey drones to OpenStreetMap
Foundation as recompense and fix their attribution going forward.

Kind regards,

Grant

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Nuno Caldeira
Dave, im not talking about the basemap, but about the non flying zones that they imported from OSM. Example:

DJI site: https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/3bf47bbf-ccba-48a1-84a9-4493c1271f64.png
OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/38.69295/-9.29326&layers=N

Exactly the same polygon

Às 23:15 de 18/03/2019, Dave F escreveu:
[...]

I understand what your point is, I just disagree with it from the
evidence near me,

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/287865080#map=19/51.50549/-2.55795&layers=N

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1-nAn2WwAA9QDS.png:large

DaveF

On 18/03/2019 23:21, Nuno Caldeira wrote:

> Dave, im not talking about the basemap, but about the non flying zones
> that they imported from OSM. Example:
>
> DJI site:
> https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/3bf47bbf-ccba-48a1-84a9-4493c1271f64.png
> OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/38.69295/-9.29326&layers=N
>
> Exactly the same polygon
>
> Às 23:15 de 18/03/2019, Dave F escreveu:
>> I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree - OSM is far more detailed &
>> accurate in my locale.
>>
>> DaveF
>>
>> On 18/03/2019 22:51, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
>>> Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of
>>> military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a
>>> couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added
>>> seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of
>>> the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...
>>>
>>> Check yourself, head to https://www.dji.com/pt/flysafe/geo-map
>>> select your country, zoom in and check the data. Airports
>>> restriction areas seems not to be OSM data, but from other source.
>>> Share your examples if you will.
>>>
>>> Again, sadly no attribution... tried to request via Twitter
>>> https://twitter.com/iamnunocaldeira/status/1105897635796447235 ....
>>> silent as in moon why would they reply to a contributor blah. The
>>> Pandora box has been opened with exceptions about the attribution,
>>> if other don't attribute, why would they?

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

General Discussion mailing list
I'm not convinced your example proves your point:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1-qZlaWwAAlJkT.png:large
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id#map=21/38.69444/-9.29481

DaveF

On 18/03/2019 23:21, Nuno Caldeira wrote:

> Dave, im not talking about the basemap, but about the non flying zones
> that they imported from OSM. Example:
>
> DJI site:
> https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/3bf47bbf-ccba-48a1-84a9-4493c1271f64.png
> OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/38.69295/-9.29326&layers=N
>
> Exactly the same polygon
>
> Às 23:15 de 18/03/2019, Dave F escreveu:
>> I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree - OSM is far more detailed &
>> accurate in my locale.
>>
>> DaveF
>>
>> On 18/03/2019 22:51, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
>>> Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of
>>> military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a
>>> couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added
>>> seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of
>>> the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...
>>>
>>> Check yourself, head to https://www.dji.com/pt/flysafe/geo-map
>>> select your country, zoom in and check the data. Airports
>>> restriction areas seems not to be OSM data, but from other source.
>>> Share your examples if you will.
>>>
>>> Again, sadly no attribution... tried to request via Twitter
>>> https://twitter.com/iamnunocaldeira/status/1105897635796447235 ....
>>> silent as in moon why would they reply to a contributor blah. The
>>> Pandora box has been opened with exceptions about the attribution,
>>> if other don't attribute, why would they?

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Mike N.
On 3/18/2019 6:51 PM, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
> Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of
> military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a couple
> of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added seven years
> ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of the vertices
> matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...

   Interesting in that the sites near me have used the boundary of the
wall / fence instead of the surrounding and larger area identified with
"amenity=prison".

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Nuno Caldeira
They might have mix stuff or edited some.

Im 100% sure about the edits around me.

Same 4 nodes with the exact same coordinates https://screenshots.firefox.com/zOeQFtACbvHWgdXL/www.dji.com
Added this geometry 7 years ago by tracing the aereal imagery, wasnt an import https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/162326957/history#map=17/32.64286/-16.93501&layers=N

Another example, same situation : https://screenshots.firefox.com/ZIhpnin3HRemIF25/www.dji.com
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/161872399/history

[...]

Dennis Raylin Chen
Not in Taiwan.

They just use the data release by the authorities. No data from OpenStreetMap.

Dennis

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 6:55 AM Nuno Caldeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Julio Costa Zambelli
Same here in Chile, only airports. None of our landuse=military polygons.

Julio Costa Zambelli
Fundación OpenStreetMap Chile

[hidden email]

https://www.openstreetmap.cl/
Cel: +56(9)89981083

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 08:42, Nuno Caldeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

After more investigation noticed that the military facilities on OSM that don't have name, also don't have a name on DJI also. If you search on OSM the name of the facility based on DJI info they match... wonder why
Few users reporting that the geometry don't match in some countries (i presume they simplified the geometry in polygon with X ammount of vertices) or they have used other data. Compared the data from 10 EU countries and they all match OSM.

More evidence ( compare the geometries and the coordinates of the vertices):

Wrong military base name (in English)
OSM https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/555214494/history
DJI https://screenshots.firefox.com/md51uwmdBUjSEtlI/www.dji.com

Portugal
This Maritime Police station is wrongly tagged on OSM... is also on DJI https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/444420317/history#map=19/39.42995/-9.22504&layers=N
DJI has it https://screenshots.firefox.com/CBdSziw1bg9Z58Fc/www.dji.com

OTAN terminal https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/177395459/history
DJI exact same polygon https://screenshots.firefox.com/LZKssfpGkmjULviX/www.dji.com

Spain
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32635137#map=18/43.45274/-3.84917
DJI https://screenshots.firefox.com/589CWyXHvrolF7Fy/www.dji.com

France
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/365823093

DJI https://screenshots.firefox.com/K42sB4B5DalFx2Sr/www.dji.com

Germany
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/50156264
DJI https://screenshots.firefox.com/LzMBa9Jx0mvidAGP/www.dji.com

Hungary - Notice the divisions betweent the different military facilties that are split...same on DJI
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/116800250/history
DJI https://screenshots.firefox.com/vO7anIZe5EEJADcQ/www.dji.com

Às 11:42 de 19/03/2019, Nuno Caldeira escreveu:
[...]

Mateusz Konieczny-3
is also with the same geometry

Note that while it was published in official sources it was mapped with different geometry

Mar 19, 2019, 7:48 PM by [hidden email]:

On 19/03/19 09:51, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...

In Australia ... it does have commercial & military airports ... but no
small airports
military areas
prisons
national parks (yes some of these these are illegal unless you get special permission)

In short .. does not do a good job if you wanted real no fly information.

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Gregory Marler
I was going to provide some potential counter examples, but Grant's time frame may be involved. My information suggestions the OSM data was captured before Feb 2018.

North East England, UK.
This TA Centre is shown on DJI: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41586101
This TA Centre is not shown on DJI: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/77034151/history (landuse=military tag added Feb 2018)

A good supporting example is that Ouston Airfield is mapped in multiple landuse=military parts for the runway. Really it should be fixed in OSM as one area, and the runways tagged differently.

I do hope you get a reply from DJI. If not then you should forward on the details to the DWG.

From a safe zone,
Gregory.

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 04:25, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19/03/19 09:51, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
Was curious where DJI managed to get a worldwide DB of polygons of military facilities and points of prisons, triple checked with a couple of other users of OSM at Telegram and with polygons i added seven years ago. Without a doubt its from OSM, the coordinates of the vertices matches OSM perfectly. The names are also the same...

In Australia ... it does have commercial & military airports ... but no
small airports
military areas
prisons
national parks (yes some of these these are illegal unless you get special permission)

In short .. does not do a good job if you wanted real no fly information.

Gregory Marler
No More Grapes
07939 689 691

Re: DJI Fly SafeGEO ZONE MAP uses OSM data... without attribution

Nuno Caldeira
Just an update on this, DJI now complies with the license now. they added the notice on the map https://www.dji.com/pt/mobile/flysafe/geo-map

this only proofs that companies do take seriously a letter from the licensor and OSMF should take action after companies ignore the requests from the contributors to comply.

One fixed, few others company still need to do the same.