DRC ebola response: urban mapping in Likati

DRC ebola response: urban mapping in Likati

Claire Halleux-3
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Digital Globe, a new task is now online to map Likati town:
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/3009

Likati is the biggest town in the area affected by this 8th ebola crisis happening in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is also the place where all the coordination of the response to the outbreak is now taking place. There are several teams on the ground with new material and staff coming in each day.
At the time, this is our highest priority area.

After several mapping projects in highly forested areas, this 5th one is focused on urban mapping: buildings and residential roads.
The imagery is black and white so it's a bit less intuitive than usual, but that is the best we could obtain in such a short time for this area.

If you are a validator, projects #2988, 2990 and 2991 still need you!

Thank you very much to the many contributors supporting this emergency response,

Cheers

Claire

Claire Halleux
+243 81 611 6998 (Kinshasa, DRC)
OpenStreetMap RDC

Re: DRC ebola response: urban mapping in Likati

nicolas chavent
Hi Claire,

Thanks for the daily mapping priority udpate
The #Map4Ebola wiki [1] has been udpated for coordinating this OpenStreetMap response to Ebola.

From Lomé (Togo), in our 2 weeks OIF-funded capacity building mission (OSM, Free GIS and opendata ), our West African mapping collective of 35 mappers from Mali, Niger, Burkina, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin and France has been able to keep his #map4eobla mapping up 1h30/2h00 a day as part of our regular activities.

We will hold an additional 2hours mapping session tonight.

Excellent day to all
Best,
Nicolas

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Claire Halleux <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Chavent
Les Libres Géographes
Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
Projet GeOrchestra
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Mobile (BJ): <a value="+22589979845" href="tel:%2B225%2089%2097%2098%2045" target="_blank">+229 96 25 62 71<a value="+22589979845" href="tel:%2B225%2089%2097%2098%2045" target="_blank">
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: c_nicolas
Twitter: nicolas_chavent

Re: DRC ebola response: urban mapping in Likati

Claire Halleux-3
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much to all the really brave contributors who participated to this mapping of Likati town last week based on this cloudy black and white imagery, that was a tough mapping exercise!

Fortunately, Digital Globe has now provided us a slightly older but much clearer and colored imagery of that area. We are now reviewing the mapping of Likati town to improve its quality, using this newly available imagery [1]. Please join us in achieving this mapping. It is currently our highest priority area, and it is basically a "buildings only" task.

The data produced daily through those tasks for Bas-Uele are of immediate use by the organisations involved in the outbreak response on the ground. If you want to have an idea of the area covered so far by the first 8th projects published during this outbreak, check the overview here [2].

Happy mapping!

Claire

Claire Halleux
+243 81 611 6998 (Kinshasa, DRC)