Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

nicolas chavent
Dear HOT US Inc, OSMF members and HOT mailing list subscribers,

I randomly ran into this tweet of Dale Kunce [1],
> "Community. The absolute best and worst things of OSM. Current mailing list is a viper pit of racism and misogyny. I don’t know it if will ever be a safe place. Even I’m thinking of unsubscribing."

As both an OSM, OSMF, HOT US Inc member (and the president of the HOT US Inc NGO), Dale shall find appropriate to develop his thoughts and provide facts to explain how the November [2] and December [3] discussions on the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) mailing-list (osmf-talk@openstreetmap.org) translate into "racism and misogyny".
This would constitute a form of bare minimal respect ought to the members of those communities.

Thanks,
Best,
Nicolas

[1]: https://twitter.com/calimapnerd/status/942596633283448832
[2]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-November/thread.html
[3]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-December/subject.html

--
Nicolas Chavent
Les Libres Géographes

Re: Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

john whelan-2
Could it be a different Dale Kunce?

Could the president of HOT confirm that this twitter account isn't his?

Many Thanks

Cheerio John

On 18 December 2017 at 17:18, nicolas chavent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear HOT US Inc, OSMF members and HOT mailing list subscribers,

I randomly ran into this tweet of Dale Kunce [1],
> "Community. The absolute best and worst things of OSM. Current mailing list is a viper pit of racism and misogyny. I don’t know it if will ever be a safe place. Even I’m thinking of unsubscribing."

As both an OSM, OSMF, HOT US Inc member (and the president of the HOT US Inc NGO), Dale shall find appropriate to develop his thoughts and provide facts to explain how the November [2] and December [3] discussions on the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) mailing-list (osmf-talk@openstreetmap.org) translate into "racism and misogyny".
This would constitute a form of bare minimal respect ought to the members of those communities.

Thanks,
Best,
Nicolas

[1]: https://twitter.com/calimapnerd/status/942596633283448832
[2]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-November/thread.html
[3]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-December/subject.html

--
Nicolas Chavent
Les Libres Géographes
Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
Projet GeOrchestra
Mobile (FR): <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2040%2078%2020" value="+33652407820" target="_blank">+33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: c_nicolas
Twitter: nicolas_chavent

Re: [hotosm-membership] Re: Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM
Dear Friends,

Respectfully, what Dale's opinion on the state of the wider OSM
community is off topic for the HOT email list which is as
follows:

"During crisis, the HOT list supports coordination among the OSM
community (along side appropriate local country lists, and the
talk/dev lists when needed).
It is the point where disaster responders and affected people can
connect directly to members of the OSM community ready to help.
In quieter times, the list helps HOT to prepare resources and improve
its response."

The [hidden email] email list follows the OSM guidelines for
email list etiquette ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette)
and demanding that an individual justify and discuss their feelings
about the wider OSM community as it relates to diversity issues across
3 large OSM community email lists really seems to be outside of those
guidelines in respect assuming good faith, staying on list topic and
not calling people out directly.

There are good, constructive, ways to discuss the important issues
Dale raises but demanding Dale justify his feelings publicly on this
email lists is just not one of them.

Let us stay on the HOT mapping and response topic here please.

Regards,
blake

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:52 AM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could it be a different Dale Kunce?
>
> Could the president of HOT confirm that this twitter account isn't his?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Cheerio John
>
> On 18 December 2017 at 17:18, nicolas chavent <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear HOT US Inc, OSMF members and HOT mailing list subscribers,
>>
>> I randomly ran into this tweet of Dale Kunce [1],
>> > "Community. The absolute best and worst things of OSM. Current mailing
>> > list is a viper pit of racism and misogyny. I don’t know it if will ever be
>> > a safe place. Even I’m thinking of unsubscribing."
>>
>> As both an OSM, OSMF, HOT US Inc member (and the president of the HOT US
>> Inc NGO), Dale shall find appropriate to develop his thoughts and provide
>> facts to explain how the November [2] and December [3] discussions on the
>> OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) mailing-list ([hidden email])
>> translate into "racism and misogyny".
>> This would constitute a form of bare minimal respect ought to the members
>> of those communities.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Best,
>> Nicolas
>>

>> [1]: https://twitter.com/calimapnerd/status/942596633283448832
>> [2]:
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-November/thread.html
>> [3]:
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-December/subject.html
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Chavent
>> Les Libres Géographes
>> Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
>> Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
>> Projet GeOrchestra
>> Mobile (FR): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Skype: c_nicolas
>> Twitter: nicolas_chavent

Re: [Osmf-talk] Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Marc Farra
Nicolas,

What are you asking for exactly? Are you asking for a member code of conduct governing the OSMF mailing list that can extend to a third party service? Or maybe that we should be in the business of censoring Dale’s right to express his opinions on a third party service? Please clarify what you expect the community to do because I’m confused here.

Cheers,
Marc