Quantcast

Data Collection

Gertrude Hope
Hello all,

I hope you are well,

We are collecting data where by some of it is ok be made pubic and some private. In this regard I have some questions that I really need help with:
1. How can we make private data collected not to be displayed on OSM? (We are collecting both private and public data for example private toilets and public toilets).
2. How  can OSM be used along side private data, offline and the technical requirements (how is OSM cloning done?)
2. Is it possible to add more survey questions  under OMK and ODK?
3. How do you create conditional statements to be used in OMK and ODK?

N.B:
a. Before we created conditional questions using kobotool box and were loaded into OMK and ODK. Our biggest challenge was we didn't call an osm data type and the results couldn't show the osm or coordinates attributes.

Thank you for your response.

--
Namitala Gertrude
OpenStreetMap Zambia

Re: Data Collection

john whelan-2
One crude method is to download the daily dump.  Cut out the area you're interested in.

So something like

osmconvert64 G:\downloads\zambia-latest.osm.pbf  -o=f:\maps\zambia.osm

osmconvert64 f:\maps\nigeria.osm -b=8,0,15.6884766,9 -o=f:\maps\nigeria7.osm

Your drive letters will be different.  Watch the cut out they are long followed by lat.

copy your output file and that becomes your base map.  It is not part of OSM but uses the same tools.  So using JOSM load up the file and add your private data but tag it.  Save the file locally.  Do not upload.

In the future you can select your private data and move it to another layer. Save the file.

Now download the updated OSM file.  Load it into JOSM then load your private file as a second layer.  This means open it.  Now merge your private data into the first layer and save it.  Now you can process it.

I've no idea what the TLAs OMK and ODK mean.

Cheerio John

On 6 March 2017 at 10:22, Gertrude Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Banick
Hi Gertrude,

Some quick answers
  1. I would use OMK to collect private, linked data. It’s the best tool available at present.
  2. Unfortunately you’ll need to manually script connections between your private data and public data. My friend Ewan Oglethorpe did this for a project here in Nepal, you can reuse his code if you like. https://github.com/eoglethorpe/hfh
  3. You should be able to create your own, custom survey with all the fields you like in OMK and ODK. You should use XLSForms to create these surveys as that will allow you to call osm data types.
  4. I believe conditional statements for OMK work the same as for ODK in XLSForms. (http://xlsform.org/)

I would also look at the OSM for Government page which discusses some of the licensing issues: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_for_Government

This is a problem my team at the World Bank is looking into…but resolving it will take some time. Developing a generic solution for everyone’s custom private data needs is not easy!

Best,
Robert

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:19 AM Yantisa Akhadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gertrude,

I will try to answer some of the questions. For 1, I suggest to not put the data in OSM, although we can put private data using custom tag and it won't be rendered but people can still see it when they query the feature. I suggest to put private data in another platform and then put authentication (user+password) if they want to access it.

Couple of years ago HOT develop Separate Data Store for this purpose, so that we can store private data of an OSM object by linking it to their ID, yet I think this project is not actively maintained anymore. Alternatively we can use WebGIS platform which use OSM as its basemap and then put the private data as layer on top of it. We use this for several of our projects in Indonesia, although in our case the data is not private but you can surely put additional login mechanism if you only want specific people to access it. One example is how we use GIS Cloud to visualize flood report from GeoDataCollect (an ODK Collect variant) app.

Best,

Yantisa Akhadi (Iyan)
Project Manager for Indonesia
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Tel: <a href="tel:+62%20815-7870-3388" value="+6281578703388" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+62 81 5787 03388  Email: [hidden email]