Data format for OSM annotation layers

Nick Whitelegg

Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes an
annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and develop
an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in general, and
develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use it.
Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any Google
copyright issues?)

Nick

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Dan Karran
Hi Nick,

> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes an
> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and develop
> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in general, and
> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use it.
> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any Google
> copyright issues?)

GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran
[hidden email]

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Nick Whitelegg-2
Hello Dan,

>> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes
an
>> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and
develop
>> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in
general, and
>> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use
it.
>> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any
Google
>> copyright issues?)

>GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
>people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
>portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
>would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
>Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.

My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS format,
i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box retrieval.
The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy map
and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some sort
representing the markers within.

There's no reason why GeoRSS cannot be used as the data format, I guess,
other than (from my understanding) it wasn't designed for this type of
scenario.

Nick

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Steve Coast

> Hello Dan,
>
> >> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes
> an
> >> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and
> develop
> >> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in
> general, and
> >> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use
> it.
> >> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any
> Google
> >> copyright issues?)
>
> >GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
> >people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
> >portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
> >would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
> >Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.
>
> My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS format,
> i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
> However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box retrieval.
> The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy map
> and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
> require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some sort
> representing the markers within.
>
> There's no reason why GeoRSS cannot be used as the data format, I guess,
> other than (from my understanding) it wasn't designed for this type of
> scenario.

Yeah it was, all you're doing is putting a bbox= or soemthintg on the
URL, just like the current nodes-near-me RSS feed

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:45:10PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Hello Dan,
>
> >> Those of you following the Freemap project will know that it includes
> an
> >> annotation markers layer. It would seem to be a good idea to try and
> develop
> >> an annotations data format which could be used by OSM mashups in
> general, and
> >> develop an OpenLayers layer for it so that OSM mashups could easily use
> it.
> >> Maybe we could just use KML? (I take it that wouldn't violate any
> Google
> >> copyright issues?)
>
> >GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
> >people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
> >portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
> >would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
> >Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.
>
> My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS format,
> i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
> However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box retrieval.
> The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy map
> and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
> require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some sort
> representing the markers within.

Although this is true, WFS Simple is doing exactly this: taking the WFS
format, and changing the output to be encoded in GeoRSS. Starting off
from a script that just includes a bounding box should work ifne, and in
fact, many of the existing GeoRSS server support some kind of location
based query.

Using GeoRSS and adding in a bbox param seems to make perfect sense to
me.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Nick Whitelegg-2
>> >GeoRSS would be perfect for this, wouldn't it? Then you could allow
>> >people to subscribe to updates in their area, and it'd be very
>> >portable and could be used on many different systems. I'd say KML
>> >would be a good addition to a GeoRSS feed, especially as Google
>> >Earth/Maps seem to be resisting GeoRSS so far.
>>
>> My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS
format,
>> i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
>> However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box
retrieval.
>> The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy
map
>> and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
>> require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some
sort
>> representing the markers within.

>Although this is true, WFS Simple is doing exactly this: taking the WFS
>format, and changing the output to be encoded in GeoRSS. Starting off
>from a script that just includes a bounding box should work ifne, and in
>fact, many of the existing GeoRSS server support some kind of location
>based query.

>Using GeoRSS and adding in a bbox param seems to make perfect sense to
>me.

OK - looks like GeoRSS it is then.
Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to implement a tiled, bbox-based
GeoRSS layer in OpenLayers... basically a case of taking bits from the
existing (tiled) WFS layer code with the existing (untiled) GeoRSS layer
code.

Nick

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Steve Coast

> >> My understanding of GeoRSS is that it is basically a geo-coded RSS
> format,
> >> i.e. it's good for (as you say) alerting people of updates on a map.
> >> However it doesn't really seem to be designed for bounding-box
> retrieval.
> >> The sort of app I had in mind involves the user panning an OSM slippy
> map
> >> and markers appearing as you move into new areas. Such an app would
> >> require a server which takes a bounding box and returns data of some
> sort
> >> representing the markers within.
>
> >Although this is true, WFS Simple is doing exactly this: taking the WFS
> >format, and changing the output to be encoded in GeoRSS. Starting off
> >from a script that just includes a bounding box should work ifne, and in
> >fact, many of the existing GeoRSS server support some kind of location
> >based query.
>
> >Using GeoRSS and adding in a bbox param seems to make perfect sense to
> >me.
>
> OK - looks like GeoRSS it is then.
> Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to implement a tiled, bbox-based
> GeoRSS layer in OpenLayers... basically a case of taking bits from the
> existing (tiled) WFS layer code with the existing (untiled) GeoRSS layer
> code.

Attach an event that fires Whenever the map stops moving which grabs a
feed with that bbox, a-la pubmap.co.uk

> Nick

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Mikel Maron

> Although this is true, WFS Simple is doing exactly this: taking the WFS
> format, and changing the output to be encoded in GeoRSS. Starting off
> from a script that just includes a bounding box should work ifne, and in
> fact, many of the existing GeoRSS server support some kind of location
> based query.
>
> Using GeoRSS and adding in a bbox param seems to make perfect sense to
> me.

Just for reference, here's the working space at the OGC of WFS Simple,
part of their Lightweight Standards Initiative.

http://www.ogcnetwork.net/wfssimple

The meat of the proposal is the GetFeature request

http://www.ogcnetwork.net/node/178

which basically specifies bbox and time request parameters, GeoRSS response.

Re: Data format for OSM annotation layers

Nick Whitelegg-2
>> OK - looks like GeoRSS it is then.
>> Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to implement a tiled, bbox-based
>> GeoRSS layer in OpenLayers... basically a case of taking bits from the
>> existing (tiled) WFS layer code with the existing (untiled) GeoRSS
layer
>> code.

>Attach an event that fires Whenever the map stops moving which grabs a
>feed with that bbox, a-la pubmap.co.uk

Sounds a good idea - will cut down the number of server requests yet not
impact on usability.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 04:45:49PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> >> OK - looks like GeoRSS it is then.
> >> Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to implement a tiled, bbox-based
> >> GeoRSS layer in OpenLayers... basically a case of taking bits from the
> >> existing (tiled) WFS layer code with the existing (untiled) GeoRSS
> layer
> >> code.
>
> >Attach an event that fires Whenever the map stops moving which grabs a
> >feed with that bbox, a-la pubmap.co.uk
>
> Sounds a good idea - will cut down the number of server requests yet not
> impact on usability.

I'd recommend taking a look at the WMS untiled layer in version 2.2+ --
it requests a bounding box twice the size of the current display, and
only refreshes when the user moves outside that box. (This saves you
from having to do a refresh on every drag -- if someone only drags 10 or
20% of the viewport, it doesn't grab more data.)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta