Decision for slippy map

Sven Anders
Hi,
I am  unhappy  about the decision to implement slippy map on
www.openstreetmap.org in a pre-alpha state.

I think the major think is that it is posible to see a map in a browser of any
area of the world. But there is no map for Germany in the last two weeks.

Why can't we have the old version online too?

Why would nobody discuss about the progess of putting slippy map to a live
system  before?

Why can't we render the whole world and then discuss about changes?
(I don't know about mistakes of slippy Map in London, but perhabs I will find
problems of slippy map if "my area" is rednered)

Openstreetmap seem to by a "UK only Application",  all other user had to wait
for the data, or the program is ready.

We have a presentation in Hamburg (Germany) today.

We can show:
* Josm
* osmarender

but not the live map.

Sven Anders

Re: Decision for slippy map

Raphaël Jacquot
Sven Anders wrote:

> We have a presentation in Hamburg (Germany) today.
>
> We can show:
> * Josm
> * osmarender
>
> but not the live map.

hmmm...
I sense a great disturbance in the force today

artem, could you please render hamburg like the fastest you can and drop
the files in the slippy map ?

Re: Decision for slippy map

Stephan Schildberg
Yeah,

get my thousands and thousands kilometers of cycling of that city screenwise.
I would appreciate that very much too.
We would like to show people pictures with the lowest grade of abstraction to draw them into the project.

Stephan.

Sven Anders wrote:

We have a presentation in Hamburg (Germany) today.

We can show:
* Josm
* osmarender

but not the live map.

hmmm...
I sense a great disturbance in the force today

artem, could you please render hamburg like the fastest you can and drop
the files in the slippy map ?

Stephans Signature
Diese E-Mail wurde über einen mit regenerativen Energien betriebenen Mailserver versandt.
www.ecologee.net - Das Internet mit regenerativen Energien.

Re: Decision for slippy map

Steve Coast
* @ 22/11/06 07:50:05 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
> I am  unhappy  about the decision to implement slippy map on
> www.openstreetmap.org in a pre-alpha state.
>
> I think the major think is that it is posible to see a map in a browser of any
> area of the world. But there is no map for Germany in the last two weeks.
>
> Why can't we have the old version online too?

I think you're alone there, you mean the old version that hasn't worked
in months?

> Why can't we render the whole world and then discuss about changes?

That's what we're trying to do.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Decision for slippy map

Nick Black
Guys, please get seme perspective.  OpenStreetMap isnt Artem and
Steve.  Community mapping doesnt end with collecting GPS traces.
Instead of demanding that your area is rendered, why don't you render
them yourselves?  I know mapnik can be challenging to install, but its
not *that* difficuilt.  I will certainly respond more positively to
requests for help with setting up mapnik and rendering than I will to
demands for your arae to be rednered.

Please take some responsibility and at least *try* to help yourselves.
 Bug the list with questions about how to use Mapnik and create tiles
.  I will personally take responsibility for writing up some
documentation on Mapnik - but like the rest of us, I have other things
to do too.

NIck

On 11/22/06, Stephan Schildberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Yeah,
>
>  get my thousands and thousands kilometers of cycling of that city
> screenwise.
>  I would appreciate that very much too.
>  We would like to show people pictures with the lowest grade of abstraction
> to draw them into the project.
>
>  Stephan.
>

>  Sven Anders wrote:
>

>  We have a presentation in Hamburg (Germany) today.
>
> We can show:
> * Josm
> * osmarender
>
> but not the live map.
>
>  hmmm...
> I sense a great disturbance in the force today
>
> artem, could you please render hamburg like the fastest you can and drop
> the files in the slippy map ?

>  Diese E-Mail wurde über einen mit regenerativen Energien betriebenen
> Mailserver versandt.
>  www.ecologee.net - Das Internet mit regenerativen Energien.

Re: Decision for slippy map

Scott Rollins-2
SteveC wrote:
> I think you're alone there, you mean the old version that hasn't worked
> in months?

Speaking up here, because he is NOT alone.  With the old version, I had
a hit or miss chance of seeing the area that I've worked on.  With
persistance, I could often eventually get what I was hoping to see.
With the current map, I have no chance of seeing the area I worked on
without going through JOSM and Osmarender.

If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
outside the UK?

I agree that the old map wasn't suitable for the front page.  I agree
that, for the area it covers, the new map looks to be nicer than the
old.  But the decision to eliminate the old map before the new map had
full coverage was a huge mistake and the current status is very much a
turn-off for people outside Britain.

If I found that map as part of my introduction to OSM, I probably
wouldn't start contributing.  Hopefully, I'd stick around to see if
coverage eventually reaches here.

Scott

--
Scott Rollins
<[hidden email]>

Re: Decision for slippy map

Steve Coast

> SteveC wrote:
> >I think you're alone there, you mean the old version that hasn't worked
> >in months?
> >
> Speaking up here, because he is NOT alone.  With the old version, I had
> a hit or miss chance of seeing the area that I've worked on.  With
> persistance, I could often eventually get what I was hoping to see.
> With the current map, I have no chance of seeing the area I worked on
> without going through JOSM and Osmarender.
>
> If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
> it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
> outside the UK?

Yes, of course we do.

The first test was Oxford that artem did. Why? Because he lives there.
Then UK. Simple as that.

We are and have been trying to get the rest of the world in but it's not
trivial.

Please have patience.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Decision for slippy map

Richard Fairhurst
Quoting Scott Rollins <[hidden email]>:

> If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
> it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
> outside the UK?

C'mon, it's a volunteer, open source project. There is no "they" and
"me" here. It's "us".

Amused to see I'm not the only church organist on the list though. ;)

Richard

Re: Decision for slippy map

ANDY ROBINSON-2

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

>Sent: 22 November 2006 12:36 PM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Decision for slippy map
>
>Quoting Scott Rollins <[hidden email]>:
>
>> If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
>> it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
>> outside the UK?
>
>C'mon, it's a volunteer, open source project. There is no "they" and
>"me" here. It's "us".
>
>Amused to see I'm not the only church organist on the list though. ;)

Well, actually that sort of makes two and a quarter. I played for a short
while back in my late teens. I wouldn't know my swell from my choir these
days though ;-)

Andy Robinson
[hidden email]

>Richard

80n

Re: Decision for slippy map

80n
The new slippy map looks so damn good that I'm not surprised that people outside the UK are keen to see their work on the map as well.

It is really great to be able to see how much has been done in the UK - much more than was easy to see with the old map.  But even though I'm from the UK, I'm equally eager to see what else has been done around the world.

We do need to realise that this is literally a global project and should embrace and encourage contributions from everywhere.  Our continued focus on the UK is great for us, but not so great for the other 99.08% of the world's population.

Leaving aside the slippy map, which I'm sure will be global as soon as it possibly can be, I'd be in favour of holding the planned State of the Map conference somewhere other than the UK.  To do that however, we would need a willing local organiser.  Any volunteers or suggestions for a non-UK venue?

80n

On 11/22/06, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

>Sent: 22 November 2006 12:36 PM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Decision for slippy map
>
>Quoting Scott Rollins < [hidden email]>:
>
>> If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
>> it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
>> outside the UK?
>
>C'mon, it's a volunteer, open source project. There is no "they" and
>"me" here. It's "us".
>
>Amused to see I'm not the only church organist on the list though. ;)

Well, actually that sort of makes two and a quarter. I played for a short
while back in my late teens. I wouldn't know my swell from my choir these
days though ;-)

Andy Robinson
[hidden email]

>Richard

Re: Decision for slippy map

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Tettnang/Germany)
On Wednesday 22 November 2006 14:35, 80n wrote:

> The new slippy map looks so damn good that I'm not surprised that people
> outside the UK are keen to see their work on the map as well.
>
> It is really great to be able to see how much has been done in the UK -
> much more than was easy to see with the old map.  But even though I'm from
> the UK, I'm equally eager to see what else has been done around the world.
>
> We do need to realise that this is literally a global project and should
> embrace and encourage contributions from everywhere.  Our continued focus
> on the UK is great for us, but not so great for the other 99.08% of the
> world's population.
>
> Leaving aside the slippy map, which I'm sure will be global as soon as it
> possibly can be, I'd be in favour of holding the planned State of the Map
> conference somewhere other than the UK.  To do that however, we would need
> a willing local organiser.  Any volunteers or suggestions for a non-UK
> venue?

What would you need for this conference?
What does a volunteer have to organize?

-

Joerg

Re: Decision for slippy map

Robert Hart-2
> >C'mon, it's a volunteer, open source project. There is no "they" and
> >"me" here. It's "us".

Agreed, the only road block I've had in getting into the "us" part of
OSM is the amount of free time I have. The new map doesn't cover my part
of the UK yet, but it is such a huge improvement, that I would be
happier showing it to potential OSMers than I ever would the old one.

> >Amused to see I'm not the only church organist on the list though. ;)
> >

> Well, actually that sort of makes two and a quarter. I played for a
short
> while back in my late teens. I wouldn't know my swell from my choir
these
> days though ;-)

Make that 2.5 - I played a few times too, culminating in a rendition of
"Arrival of the Queen of Sheeba" at somebody's wedding! I don't think
that organ had a "choir" though...

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com

Re: Decision for slippy map

Petter Reinholdtsen

[80n]
> Leaving aside the slippy map, which I'm sure will be global as soon
> as it possibly can be, I'd be in favour of holding the planned State
> of the Map conference somewhere other than the UK.  To do that
> however, we would need a willing local organiser.  Any volunteers or
> suggestions for a non-UK venue?

It would probably be possible to get something organized here in
Norway.  I suspect I would be able to get some help from the local
unix and linux user groups, as well as the electronic map group in the
local area. :)

I've had intentions to organize a mapping event in Oslo for a long
time, but haven't been able to give it priority so far.  Anyone else
on this list from Oslo and Norway?

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Re: Decision for slippy map

Åsmund Grammeltvedt-2
On Wednesday 22 November 2006 21:28, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I've had intentions to organize a mapping event in Oslo for a long
> time, but haven't been able to give it priority so far.  Anyone else
> on this list from Oslo and Norway?

Norway, yes. Oslo, no. :)

--
Åsmund Grammeltvedt
jabber: [hidden email]

Are you infringing, citizen? | webshop.ffii.org/

Re: Decision for slippy map

matthew-osm
> Quoting Scott Rollins <[hidden email]>:
>
> > If it was a few days or up to the week, no problem, but as time goes on,
> > it does make one wonder: Do they really want my contributions from
> > outside the UK?
>
> C'mon, it's a volunteer, open source project. There is no "they" and
> "me" here. It's "us".
>
> Amused to see I'm not the only church organist on the list though. ;)
>
> Richard

LOL... I'm a church pianist; does that count? ;-)

--
Matthew