Deprecate access=public (synonym for access=yes)

Deprecate access=public (synonym for access=yes)

Joseph Eisenberg
I'd like to deprecate access=public. This tag never documented as a
value for access, but was imported massively one time a few years
back, then mostly deleted, but then a few years ago it was added to a
couple of presets in JOSM and iD, for toilets and parking lots. Now
it's been removed from those again, and usage has not increased over
the past year.

The tag access=yes means the same thing, and has increased this year
from 600k to 700k uses; it's over 20 times more common.

Any objections?

Re: Deprecate access=public (synonym for access=yes)

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 31.07.19 09:22, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I'd like to deprecate access=public.

Can you explain what concrete actions you mean by that? What exactly
would you do if everyone said "yeah, go ahaead"?

Bye
Frderik

Re: Deprecate access=public (synonym for access=yes)

Joseph Eisenberg
1) Add to list of deprecated features
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features)
2) Add deprecated features template to wiki page Tag:access=public, which says:

"This feature has been labeled as deprecated. The recommended
replacement is: access=yes.
The reason is documented in Deprecated features. You are still free to
continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since
OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”. Under no circumstances
should you (semi-)automatically change “deprecated” tags to something
else in the database..." (this is a standard template)