Description is too long (max 50)

Felix Hartmann-2
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Description is too long (max 50)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgHeader.setDescription(ImgHeader.java:336)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgHeader.createHeader(ImgHeader.java:168)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.createInitFS(ImgFS.java:372)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.createFs(ImgFS.java:123)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.createFs(ImgFS.java:102)
        at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.map.Map.createMap(Map.java:99)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.OverviewBuilder.writeOverviewMap(OverviewBuilder.java:182)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.OverviewBuilder.onFinish(OverviewBuilder.java:104)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.endOptions(Main.java:678)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgsReader.readArgs(CommandArgsReader.java:128)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.mainStart(Main.java:143)
        at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:114)

I'm pretty sure that the --description value is well below 50 characters. However the area-name was 54 characters. Is the area-name also not allowed to be bigger?
Also maybe the family name was 51 or 52 characters long.

Or is this bug somewhere else?

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Description is too long (max 50)

Gerd Petermann
Hi Felix,

might be a bug in the OverviewBuilder. If I got that right it uses option --area-name to fill the description.

Gerd

Re: Description is too long (max 50)

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

I wonder if I should change the code so that the description field in the overview map is filled from the option description?
The attached patch should do that.
However, I think I found a general problem with the parameter evaluation for the so-called combiners (gmapsupp, index, tdb etc).
If I got that right it is not possible to create e.g. a gmapsupp.img and an overview map with different descriptions when this patch is active.
So, if you use something like java--jar mkgmap.jar ... -c template.args --description="My Map for device" --gmapsupp --description="My Map for PC" --tdbfile --gmapi
the description in the gmapsupp will be "My Map for PC", not "My Map for device".
The reason is that we have an extra loop for the combiners. This loop is started when all map tiles and typ files are compiled, that means, for repeated options only
the last given value is used for all combiners.
No idea if we should change that now, I guess many scripts rely on this.

Gerd

ov-desc.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Description is too long (max 50)

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

sorry, of course it is possible to create the files with different descriptions when you execute mkgmap.jar multiple times.
I forgot to add "in one execution" after "it is not possible to create".

Gerd