Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Tom H.
Hi All,

I'm using JOSM constantly in my day to day job, and I'm having a few ideas
for using hotkeys to toggle some of the layer settings that can now only be
activated by point and click. I'm new to contributing in JOSM but am
currently looking through the dev docs, and I was just wondering if it's
better to realize my hotkey ideas via a plugin, or trying to incorporating
them into the JOSM core?

Thanks!

Re: Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Jiri Vlasak
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 02:53:49PM -0700, Tom H. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using JOSM constantly in my day to day job, and I'm having a few ideas
> for using hotkeys to toggle some of the layer settings that can now only be
> activated by point and click. I'm new to contributing in JOSM but am
> currently looking through the dev docs, and I was just wondering if it's
> better to realize my hotkey ideas via a plugin, or trying to incorporating
> them into the JOSM core?

tl;dr (generic) ? upstream : plugin ;

There was already discussion when I started developing the plugin. Feel free to
see the "JOSM enhancements vs. separate plugin" thread [1].

Have a nice day,
jiri

[1]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2018-May/thread.html

Re: Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Vincent Privat
Sounds like a feature small enough and useful to all to be considered a
core enhancement.

Le sam. 27 avr. 2019 à 11:22, Jiri Vlasak <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 02:53:49PM -0700, Tom H. wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm using JOSM constantly in my day to day job, and I'm having a few
> ideas
> > for using hotkeys to toggle some of the layer settings that can now only
> be
> > activated by point and click. I'm new to contributing in JOSM but am
> > currently looking through the dev docs, and I was just wondering if it's
> > better to realize my hotkey ideas via a plugin, or trying to
> incorporating
> > them into the JOSM core?
>
> tl;dr (generic) ? upstream : plugin ;
>
> There was already discussion when I started developing the plugin. Feel
> free to
> see the "JOSM enhancements vs. separate plugin" thread [1].
>
> Have a nice day,
> jiri
>
> [1]:
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2018-May/thread.html

Re: Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Tom H.
Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I've decided to update the core
instead of making a separate plugin, since hotkeys are simple enough to
implement and may get frequent use from users.

I now wonder can anyone point me to the right direction as to where to
begin to integrate new hotkeys into JOSM, like what are the relevant
files/classes I should modify? And further, is there a tutorial to learn
how to create JOSM builds? Or had there been any relevant threads in the
archive? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very new. Thanks!

Re: Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Vincent Privat
Hello,
To build and run JOSM, see instructions at
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Source%20code#CompilingusingAnt
Concerning hotkeys, you should start to get familiar with these classes and
see how they are used, this should help you to understand most of keyboard
interactions in JOSM:

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/actions/JosmAction.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/actions/mapmode/MapMode.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/util/KeyPressReleaseListener.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/util/ModifierExListener.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/widgets/DisableShortcutsOnFocusGainedTextField.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/tools/KeyboardUtils.html
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/doc/org/openstreetmap/josm/tools/Shortcut.html

See also https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide

Welcome to JOSM development!

Le mar. 30 avr. 2019 à 19:31, Tom H. <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I've decided to update the
> core instead of making a separate plugin, since hotkeys are simple enough
> to implement and may get frequent use from users.
>
> I now wonder can anyone point me to the right direction as to where to
> begin to integrate new hotkeys into JOSM, like what are the relevant
> files/classes I should modify? And further, is there a tutorial to learn
> how to create JOSM builds? Or had there been any relevant threads in the
> archive? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very new. Thanks!

Re: Develop for JOSM core or plugin?

Vincent Privat
Another tip: you can run JOSM with --trace so that a lot of
keyboard-related information will be displayed on the standard output.