Directionality of stop signs

AlaskaDave
There is an ongoing discussion on the Tagging list that is trying to determine how to tag the directionality of stop signs and yield signs as well as traffic_signals. The arguments is that if a highway=stop is placed on a node that is at the intersection of two ways, it applies to all vehicles crossing that node. However, if the stop sign applies to only one of the ways at an intersection, the highway=stop node must appear on the proper way at a slight distance from the actual intersection. How does a routing engine determine whether it's approaching from the "front" of the sign, in which case a stop penalty should be calculated, or from the other direction, in which case the sign can be ignored?

Does anybody know whether the Garmin routing algo even considers stop signs?

Dave

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska

Re: Directionality of stop signs

Gerd Petermann
Hi Dave,

I don't know any place in the Garmin img format that allows to store information about traffic signs or traffic lights,
but I know that there are some bits in the (old) img format which we don't fully understand, so maybe there is support.
I think the newer NT format have some support for this since nüvis show e.g. speed limit signs.

Gerd