Disaster Relief Organizations in Ghana

Enock Seth Nyamador
Hi,

Am Enock from Ghana, I've been a member of HOT for sometime now.

Ghana have been hit by torrential rainfalls this month, in the news is the Accra Explosion [1] and the Floods [2].

The reason am sending this mail is to ask if someone here knows of any relief organizations in Ghana. And suggestions on stuffs included in relief packs for affected victims.

This is because some citizens want to organize relief packs for victims and needs some advice and suggestions.

- Enock
twitter: @Enock4seth
enockseth.github.io | [[User:Enock4seth]]

Re: Disaster Relief Organizations in Ghana

Blake Girardot
Hi Enock,

I do not know if this answers your question or not, but this is a web
page for people who would be collecting and packaging relief packages of
different types:

http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies

Normally you would package and send them to the organization for them to
distribute, but maybe this helps in your case.

This page is not bad, but more about how to prepare for a flood, but
still a good list of things to consider:

http://www.disastercenter.com/guide/kit.html

Hope it helps, and I hope others have good suggestions too.

Regards,
Blake

On 6/6/2015 9:58 AM, Enock Seth Nyamador wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Enock from Ghana, I've been a member of HOT for sometime now.
>
> Ghana have been hit by torrential rainfalls this month, in the news is
> the Accra Explosion [1] and the Floods [2].
>
> The reason am sending this mail is to ask if someone here knows of any
> relief organizations in Ghana. And suggestions on stuffs included in
> relief packs for affected victims.
>
> This is because some citizens want to organize relief packs for victims
> and needs some advice and suggestions.
>
> Best,
>
> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Accra_explosion
> 2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Accra_floods
>

> - Enock
> twitter: @Enock4seth
> enockseth.github.io <http://enockseth.github.io/> | [[User:Enock4seth]]

Re: Disaster Relief Organizations in Ghana

Nick Allen-2

Enoch,

This charity may be able to help as well
http://www.shelterbox.org/

Nick
(OSM=Tallguy)

dodgy didgits as using a phone with a spell chequer.

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team Member

On 6 Jun 2015 08:59, "Enock Seth Nyamador" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Am Enock from Ghana, I've been a member of HOT for sometime now.

Ghana have been hit by torrential rainfalls this month, in the news is the Accra Explosion [1] and the Floods [2].

The reason am sending this mail is to ask if someone here knows of any relief organizations in Ghana. And suggestions on stuffs included in relief packs for affected victims.

This is because some citizens want to organize relief packs for victims and needs some advice and suggestions.

- Enock
twitter: @Enock4seth
enockseth.github.io | [[User:Enock4seth]]

Customizable OSM editor

Thomas Tolloschek
I am following the Hot Mailinglist for a while as passive reader and
since Nepal more active.

These last weeks I was thinking a lot how to help new mappers while
achieving more standardisation and compareable output.

In my opinion HOT needs a highly customizable and automatic configurable
editor.
Think of some sort of Potlatch where the items are automtically
restricted to the ones needed by a specific task. All the tags and
comments are automatically filled in.
For example: The user just needs to draw a polygon click on the house
button and save. No more confusion if building=yes or building=house
should bei used
All the presets are done by the Taskmanager and the defined task attributes.

If you look at the various statistics, you will see that a high
percentage of the edits has been done in the first few days after the
desaster by new OSM users.
Many of them contribute only a few changesets or less. I was asking
myself why this happened.
Was there not enough help und information? I dont think so.
I think that the informations have been too much and too spread for
first time users. And l think that many of them where overwhelmed by all
the things they have to think about.

So why not moving the rule and format stuff into an editor?

The avantages of such an editor would be:
a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
the task elements are allowed.
c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
another editor anyway)
e) optional integrated help
f) automatic functionality like squared buildings

I know this does not help for the Nepal crisis mapping but I think this
idea is worth a thought for improving the quality of data in the future
while motivating new users to map more and therefore speeding up the
completion of HOT tasks.

Kind regards
Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

john whelan-2
You mean something like JOSM with the building_tool but restrict edits to just the building_tool?

I like the idea.

Cheerio John

On 6 June 2015 at 10:15, Thomas Tolloschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
[...]

cascafico

Josm is powerful editor, but hudreds tagging presets may be confusing. Take a look at josm presets [1]. I set up three, related to three Nepal tasks. You can easily customize as needed. A short josm menu tree speeds up digitizing.

[1] http://visualtags.hotosm.org/collections

--
cascafico.altervista.org
twitter.com/cascafico

cascafico.altervista.org
twitter.com/cascafico

Re: Customizable OSM editor

althio
Hi Thomas,

I think *most* of your requirements would be met with a specific
instance of iD editor with customised presets (a very reduced set).

> The avantages of such an editor would be:
> a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
> b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
> the task elements are allowed.
> c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
> d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
> know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
> another editor anyway)
> e) optional integrated help
> f) automatic functionality like squared buildings

This has been experimented previously for a particular project:
See "open source project to map all logging roads across the Congo
Basin Rainforest"
http://loggingroads.org/ with its own integrated iD.

I love the idea and it would be great to have a person/team to run
some dry tests in HOT context.

Cheers

- althio

On 6 June 2015 at 16:15, Thomas Tolloschek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am following the Hot Mailinglist for a while as passive reader and
> since Nepal more active.
>
> These last weeks I was thinking a lot how to help new mappers while
> achieving more standardisation and compareable output.
>
> In my opinion HOT needs a highly customizable and automatic configurable
> editor.
> Think of some sort of Potlatch where the items are automtically
> restricted to the ones needed by a specific task. All the tags and
> comments are automatically filled in.
> For example: The user just needs to draw a polygon click on the house
> button and save. No more confusion if building=yes or building=house
> should bei used
> All the presets are done by the Taskmanager and the defined task attributes.
>
> If you look at the various statistics, you will see that a high
> percentage of the edits has been done in the first few days after the
> desaster by new OSM users.
> Many of them contribute only a few changesets or less. I was asking
> myself why this happened.
> Was there not enough help und information? I dont think so.
> I think that the informations have been too much and too spread for
> first time users. And l think that many of them where overwhelmed by all
> the things they have to think about.
>
> So why not moving the rule and format stuff into an editor?
>
> The avantages of such an editor would be:
> a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
> b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
> the task elements are allowed.
> c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
> d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
> know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
> another editor anyway)
> e) optional integrated help
> f) automatic functionality like squared buildings
>
> I know this does not help for the Nepal crisis mapping but I think this
> idea is worth a thought for improving the quality of data in the future
> while motivating new users to map more and therefore speeding up the
> completion of HOT tasks.
>
> Kind regards
> Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Suzan Reed
I volunteer to test the usability of a restricted iD interface, and to add my two cents to what would have worked for me when I started mapping.

A "New to mapping? Click here!" button on the front page of the OSM site taking new mappers to "How to get started" page would be an excellent addition, too.

Suzan

On Jun 6, 2015, at 11:41 PM, althio wrote:

> [...]

> the things they have to think about.
>
> So why not moving the rule and format stuff into an editor?
>
> The avantages of such an editor would be:
> a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
> b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
> the task elements are allowed.
> c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
> d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
> know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
> another editor anyway)
> e) optional integrated help
> f) automatic functionality like squared buildings
>
> I know this does not help for the Nepal crisis mapping but I think this
> idea is worth a thought for improving the quality of data in the future
> while motivating new users to map more and therefore speeding up the

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Thomas Tolloschek
Hi althio, Hi Suzan,

Since I was on holidays for the last 2 weeks my considerations where
mostly theoretical.

I ruled out JOSM because users have to download and configure settings.
So I settled for webbased editors.
From the current established editors that would be potlatch and ID.
I wanted that the editor is configurable with an admin interface for
each task.
Potlatch is configured with a static xml file so you have to run an own
instance for each task thats not very comfortable.

I dont know if ID can load configurations per task out of a database
since I dont have any experience with ID.

The vision in the back of my head is something like
extjs/geoext/openlayers (Maybe thats not the best solution).

But I wanted to start the discussion of a customisable editor first to
hear how the response for this idea is and then start a discussion about
the best technical solution.

@altio: Can you provide more information about how ID is configured?

kind regards Tom

Am 07.06.2015 um 08:41 schrieb althio:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I think *most* of your requirements would be met with a specific
> instance of iD editor with customised presets (a very reduced set).
>
>> The avantages of such an editor would be:
>> a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
>> b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
>> the task elements are allowed.
>> c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
>> d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
>> know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
>> another editor anyway)
>> e) optional integrated help
>> f) automatic functionality like squared buildings
>

> This has been experimented previously for a particular project:
> See "open source project to map all logging roads across the Congo
> Basin Rainforest"
> http://loggingroads.org/ with its own integrated iD.
>
> I love the idea and it would be great to have a person/team to run
> some dry tests in HOT context.
>
> Cheers
>
> - althio

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Imre Samu

>I dont know if ID can load configurations per task out of a database

>since I dont have any experience with ID.

iD presets description : https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/tree/master/data/presets

My favorite solution will be a new  "URL parameter" to add   "Individual Presets" file.

Hi althio, Hi Suzan,

Since I was on holidays for the last 2 weeks my considerations where
mostly theoretical.

I ruled out JOSM because users have to download and configure settings.
So I settled for webbased editors.
From the current established editors that would be potlatch and ID.
I wanted that the editor is configurable with an admin interface for
each task.
Potlatch is configured with a static xml file so you have to run an own
instance for each task thats not very comfortable.

I dont know if ID can load configurations per task out of a database
since I dont have any experience with ID.

The vision in the back of my head is something like
extjs/geoext/openlayers (Maybe thats not the best solution).

But I wanted to start the discussion of a customisable editor first to
hear how the response for this idea is and then start a discussion about
the best technical solution.

@altio: Can you provide more information about how ID is configured?

kind regards Tom

Am 07.06.2015 um 08:41 schrieb althio:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I think *most* of your requirements would be met with a specific
> instance of iD editor with customised presets (a very reduced set).
>
>> The avantages of such an editor would be:
>> a) No bothering with tags, comments, etc.
>> b) Reduction of the chance of duplicates. Because no elements outside
>> the task elements are allowed.
>> c) Standardisation, through predefined tags and elements
>> d) Simple to use interface for users who want to help but dont want to
>> know the in depth details. ( Those who want to know will switch to
>> another editor anyway)
>> e) optional integrated help
>> f) automatic functionality like squared buildings
>

> This has been experimented previously for a particular project:
> See "open source project to map all logging roads across the Congo
> Basin Rainforest"
> http://loggingroads.org/ with its own integrated iD.
>
> I love the idea and it would be great to have a person/team to run
> some dry tests in HOT context.
>
> Cheers
>
> - althio

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Stefan Keller
Hi Thomas

I like the idea too and would like also point to JOSM which can be
configured with specific presets, like the one mentioned currently
here [1].

iD would be even easier to use, but I think its preset can't be
changed like in JOSM (right, Tom?).

But before releasing such an editor and HOT preset files, pls.

1. discuss and define common tags needed by HOT and eventually
specific to HOT, and
2. help cleanup and update the outdated wiki pages, starting with this
HOT wiki homepage [1]?

See also the thread on this list about my "Request for information
about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to
various infos)"

Cheers, S.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags

>>I dont know if ID can load configurations per task out of a database
>>since I dont have any experience with ID.
>
> iD presets description :
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/tree/master/data/presets
>
> My favorite solution will be a new  "URL parameter" to add   "Individual
> Presets" file.
>  ( now:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/API.md )
>
> Regards,
>  Imre

>> Hi althio, Hi Suzan,
>>
>> Since I was on holidays for the last 2 weeks my considerations where
>> mostly theoretical.
>>
>> I ruled out JOSM because users have to download and configure settings.
>> So I settled for webbased editors.
>> From the current established editors that would be potlatch and ID.
>> I wanted that the editor is configurable with an admin interface for
>> each task.
>> Potlatch is configured with a static xml file so you have to run an own
>> instance for each task thats not very comfortable.
>>
>> I dont know if ID can load configurations per task out of a database
>> since I dont have any experience with ID.
>>
>> The vision in the back of my head is something like
>> extjs/geoext/openlayers (Maybe thats not the best solution).
>>
>> But I wanted to start the discussion of a customisable editor first to
>> hear how the response for this idea is and then start a discussion about
>> the best technical solution.
>>
>> @altio: Can you provide more information about how ID is configured?
>>
>> kind regards Tom
>>
>> Am 07.06.2015 um 08:41 schrieb althio:
>> > Hi Thomas,
>> >
>> > I think *most* of your requirements would be met with a specific
>> > instance of iD editor with customised presets (a very reduced set).

>> > This has been experimented previously for a particular project:
>> > See "open source project to map all logging roads across the Congo
>> > Basin Rainforest"
>> > http://loggingroads.org/ with its own integrated iD.
>> >
>> > I love the idea and it would be great to have a person/team to run
>> > some dry tests in HOT context.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > - althio

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Thomas Tolloschek
Hi Stefan,

> I like the idea too and would like also point to JOSM which can be
> configured with specific presets, like the one mentioned currently
> here [1].

The basic idea not to use JOSM is that as much work as possible should
be taken from the new users. Like TomNod. Is easy simple and everybody
without much knowledge can use it.
And it should be automatically configured by selecting the editor from
the HOT Taskmanager.
maybe with an url similar to this http://xxx.com?editor=yy&bbox=zz&task=1018
More experienced or interested users will switch automatically to
better, more flexible editors like JOSM with all its advantages.

> iD would be even easier to use, but I think its preset can't be
> changed like in JOSM (right, Tom?).

To be honest even if I have a idea in my back i dont want to invent the
wheel anew :)
So if its possible to provide dynamic config files out of a database i
would be happy. The only an administration interface for the database
and a script which serves the config to the editor will be needed.

> But before releasing such an editor and HOT preset files, pls.
>
> 1. discuss and define common tags needed by HOT and eventually
> specific to HOT, and
> 2. help cleanup and update the outdated wiki pages, starting with this
> HOT wiki homepage [1]?
> See also the thread on this list about my "Request for information
> about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to
> various infos)"

I was allready reading this thred but i had no access to my mailaccounts
(Yes this still can happen ;)) for the last two weeks :)

I totally aggree with you that a common set of HOT Tags is definitely a
prerequisit for a project like this. Without a "newbie" editor is not
possible.

Kind regards Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

James Conkling
Hi Thomas et al,

I've been really interested in the idea of customized editing environments, which was one of the major ideas behind the OSMLoggingRoads project.

As althio pointed out, iD does expose custom presets and custom imagery in a really clean, easy way.  It's pretty well documented (here).  You can also take a look at what we did; most customization is in these lines of code.   To see it deployed, navigate to it from our Tasking Manager instance.  We've added custom imagery layers specific to the project, and new presets (we've kept all existing presets as well, though you could just as easily limit the presets to the ones relevant to the project).

To customize iD, you'd have to deploy your own instance.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  I'd really love to see more customized/specialized workflows for specific projects/feature sets, building on top of OSM's broad, generalized approach to editing.

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:03 AM Thomas Tolloschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

> I like the idea too and would like also point to JOSM which can be
> configured with specific presets, like the one mentioned currently
> here [1].

The basic idea not to use JOSM is that as much work as possible should
be taken from the new users. Like TomNod. Is easy simple and everybody
without much knowledge can use it.
And it should be automatically configured by selecting the editor from
the HOT Taskmanager.
maybe with an url similar to this http://xxx.com?editor=yy&bbox=zz&task=1018
More experienced or interested users will switch automatically to
better, more flexible editors like JOSM with all its advantages.

> iD would be even easier to use, but I think its preset can't be
> changed like in JOSM (right, Tom?).

To be honest even if I have a idea in my back i dont want to invent the
wheel anew :)
So if its possible to provide dynamic config files out of a database i
would be happy. The only an administration interface for the database
and a script which serves the config to the editor will be needed.

> But before releasing such an editor and HOT preset files, pls.
>
> 1. discuss and define common tags needed by HOT and eventually
> specific to HOT, and
> 2. help cleanup and update the outdated wiki pages, starting with this
> HOT wiki homepage [1]?
> See also the thread on this list about my "Request for information
> about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to
> various infos)"

I was allready reading this thred but i had no access to my mailaccounts
(Yes this still can happen ;)) for the last two weeks :)

I totally aggree with you that a common set of HOT Tags is definitely a
prerequisit for a project like this. Without a "newbie" editor is not
possible.

Kind regards Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Thomas Tolloschek

Just to show how it could look like. I took the time and made a "quick
and dirty" proof of concept to show.

http://www.lumpaczik.org/id/?task=1024  Task 1024 from HOT OSM
Taskmanager (Area)
http://www.lumpaczik.org/id/?task=1018  Task 1018 from HOT OSM
Taskmanager (Line, Area)

Its just a showcase how ID could be configured out of a DB and for what
I think it could look like.

Kind regards Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Andrew Buck

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Thomas Tolloschek

Finally the first prototype of the OSM Task Management is finished.
This should provide the backend to manage the database which provides
the data for an automatic configurable editor.

For me it is important that some "volunteers", especially but not
necessary from HOT "officials" ;), have a look into the GUI and give me
a feedback (technical, organizational, usability ...).
My goal is to check if my idea fits into the current workflow, if there
are things that I missed and so on.

Since there are still many things that I want to do before i put the
release officially on git or for download I will provide the link and
other information to all who are interested in a private mail.

Kind regards
Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

James Conkling
Hi Thomas,

I'd love to checkout what you've whipped up.

Broadly, I'm interested in tools that allow for customizable and easily deployable HOT/OSM editing environments (ran a project beta test with OSMLoggingRoads this spring)--a TM management GUI could be a really interesting innovation.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM Thomas Tolloschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Finally the first prototype of the OSM Task Management is finished.
This should provide the backend to manage the database which provides
the data for an automatic configurable editor.

For me it is important that some "volunteers", especially but not
necessary from HOT "officials" ;), have a look into the GUI and give me
a feedback (technical, organizational, usability ...).
My goal is to check if my idea fits into the current workflow, if there
are things that I missed and so on.

Since there are still many things that I want to do before i put the
release officially on git or for download I will provide the link and
other information to all who are interested in a private mail.

Kind regards
Thomas

Re: Customizable OSM editor

Tyler Radford
Hi Thomas,

Thanks also for your work on this - I am interested in its potential use for future disaster activations where HOT has an influx of new mapping volunteers. Would be useful to improve data quality and also make for an even more pleasant mapping experience for those new to mapping using OSM. Look forward to hearing about the progress.

Tyler

Tyler Radford
Interim Executive Director
U.S. mobile: +1 617.285.2009

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development