Download Map for local installation

uno dos
Hi guys. I'm newbie with OSM. I want to download the .shp, .osm or .pbf from my Country (Chile) to import in PostgreSQL/PostGIS. When I download the map from any source I get only the information shapes. I want download also the base map (the borders). Can be these downloaded? Where is the base map?

Actually is possible download from Internet the base map for free from some sites and attach the information shape downloaded from OSM, but those base maps aren't enough good. In the south corner a lot of islands don't appear, but in the OSM site I can see that.

Any help or orientation  will be awesome.

That's all. Bye and sorry for my poor english.

Re: Download Map for local installation

SomeoneElse-2
On 27/05/2015 19:33, uno dos wrote:
Hi guys. I'm newbie with OSM. I want to download the .shp, .osm or .pbf from my Country (Chile) to import in PostgreSQL/PostGIS. When I download the map from any source I get only the information shapes. I want download also the base map (the borders). Can be these downloaded? Where is the base map?

If you want to load Chilean data into a rendering database, I'd suggest downloading a PBF file from here:

http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america/chile.html

There's a "chile-latest.osm.pbf" file there that is only 75Mb, so you shouldn't need a huge server to hold it.

If you haven't already seen it, I'd definitely also read https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/ .

On the http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america/chile.html page you can see the triangle that's included in that download; if that's missing bits you could perhaps try the "South America" download from http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america.html and perhaps cut out the piece you want using something like Osmosis ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis ).

Any help or orientation  will be awesome.

That's all. Bye and sorry for my poor english.

For info, there's a Chilean mailing list:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-cl/

Someone there might be able to help if you get stuck

Cheers,

Andy

Re: Download Map for local installation

Michael Heißmeier-2

it would help us if you could be a bit more specific:

1. Where did you download data from, please provide a link so that we know what you are talking about.

2. What do you mean by base map and what do you mean by information shapes?

Data downloaded e.g. from Geofabrik (download.geofabrik.de, further download sources can be found on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm) are complete if you select *.osm.pbf or *.osm.bz2 as files. I use those files regularly to produce maps of my own and did so with data for Chile two years ago - they also contain the borders. To be exact, they contain all data from the database within a specific region.

Regards

Michael
(osm:michael63)

uno dos schrieb am 27.05.2015 um 20:33:
Hi guys. I'm newbie with OSM. I want to download the .shp, .osm or .pbf from my Country (Chile) to import in PostgreSQL/PostGIS. When I download the map from any source I get only the information shapes. I want download also the base map (the borders). Can be these downloaded? Where is the base map?

Actually is possible download from Internet the base map for free from some sites and attach the information shape downloaded from OSM, but those base maps aren't enough good. In the south corner a lot of islands don't appear, but in the OSM site I can see that.

Any help or orientation  will be awesome.

That's all. Bye and sorry for my poor english.

Re: Download Map for local installation

uno dos
Hi. Sorry if my question was sended without all information needed. I would try be more specific:

The chilean map was downloaded from

http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america/chile.html

When I Import that to a postgis db I can't see all the content. Some parts are not complete. I don't know if that if because I'm doing something wrong. For example if I Open the file ".osm" with QGIS 2.8.1 I have the same problem. The borders from some islands don't end.

In this link "http://postimg.org/image/3m0nazcpb/"  a picture was uploaded.

I also try with south-america file (http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america-latest.osm.pbf). Same result.

I'm not saying that files don't have the information. Probably I'm doing something wrong, but I have not idea were it's.

Thank's for the tip about the chilean mailing list. I will post there.

Once again, thanks.

Bye, Regards

Hi,