Downloading pbf files

Roger Calvert
I have found in the last couple of days that Firefox (which updated itself recently) tries to open pbf files from the geofabrik depository rather than downloading them. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, have you found a solution? (A work round is to use Save As, but this should not be, and never used to be, necessary.)

Thanks,

Roger
--

Roger Calvert

Re: Downloading pbf files

Gerd Petermann
Hi Roger,

yes, I can confirm this. I did not search for a solution.

Gerd

Roger Calvert wrote
I have found in the last couple of days that Firefox (which updated
itself recently) tries to open pbf files from the geofabrik depository
rather than downloading them. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, have
you found a solution? (A work round is to use Save As, but this should
not be, and never used to be, necessary.)

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Downloading pbf files

osm-8
You should use "Save as" or so (in german "Ziel speichern unter").

Henning

Re: Downloading pbf files

Martin-2

on Ubuntu  Firefox still ask what to do with the files. But you can try
following:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Options%20window%20-%20Applications%20panel?s=settings+window&r=4&e=sph&as=s
and then choose "Always ask "
I hope this helps.

//Cheers, Martin

Am 2012-02-21 13:22, schrieb GerdP:

> Hi Roger,
>
> yes, I can confirm this. I did not search for a solution.
>
> Gerd
>

> Roger Calvert wrote
>> I have found in the last couple of days that Firefox (which updated
>> itself recently) tries to open pbf files from the geofabrik depository
>> rather than downloading them. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, have
>> you found a solution? (A work round is to use Save As, but this should
>> not be, and never used to be, necessary.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Roger

Re: Downloading pbf files

michael lohr
response headers on geofabrik's pbf files deliver text/plain as mime-type, which is wrong in my opinion. so ff tries to display it as text. workaround for me (no guarantees): find mimeTypes.rdf in your ff-profile, MAKE A BACKUP, and then add:

  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/octet-stream"
                   NC:fileExtensions="pbf"
                   NC:description="PBF-File"
                   NC:value="application/octet-stream"
                   NC:editable="false">
    <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/octet-stream"/>
  </RDF:Description>

this overrides the header's mine type.

Am 21.02.2012 13:32, schrieb Martin:
Hi,

[...]

Thanks everyone for quick response and confirmation.

I tried Micha's patch to the mimeTypes.rdf, but it seemed to have no effect. Maybe it will once the system is restarted. In the meantime I'll use SaveAs.

Roger

Roger Calvert

On 21/02/2012 12:58, michael lohr wrote:
[...]

Greg Troxel

Roger Calvert <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have found in the last couple of days that Firefox (which updated
> itself recently) tries to open pbf files from the geofabrik depository
> rather than downloading them. Has anyone else noticed this? If so,
> have you found a solution? (A work round is to use Save As, but this
> should not be, and never used to be, necessary.)

My solution is wget.  Or rather, after understanding the directory
layout once with a browser, I have alway used wget, so I didn't notice
the wrong-mime-type issue.

Re: Downloading pbf files

toc-rox
If you are on OS X or linux you can use "curl" - example:

curl --location --url "http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/germany/nordrhein-westfalen/muenster.osm.pbf" --output "/Volumes/OneTouch4/Freizeitkarte-Entwicklung/source/Kartendaten_Freizeitkarte_Muenster.osm.pbf"

Klaus

Re: Downloading pbf files

Chris66

Geofabrik-Frederik wrote:
> Ist wohl eine Folge vom Server-Umzug, bei dem die entsprechende
> Apache-Einstellung verloren ging. Jetzt wieder auf application/octet-
> stream gesetzt - geht es nun besser?

So, please check if it's working now.

Chris