Drain vs ditch

Drain vs ditch – Hi all, Can anyone please explain the difference between waterway=ditch and drain? As far as I understand the description on the English wiki th...
Hi! On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 00:40, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > Can anyone please explain the difference between water...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 04:29:05PM +0100, Markus wrote: > Hi! > > On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 00:40, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> ...
> On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:36 AM, ael <law_ence.dev@...> wrote: > > As a native speaker, I do not recognise "canal" as ...
Tod, what would be definition of "drain"? Eugene пт, 11 янв. 2019 г. в 21:10, Tod Fitch <tod@...>: > > > On Jan...
Most of what I’d call a drain around here would be large underground pipes designed to carry storm water. Empty most of the time except perhaps fo...
During the RFC of waterways for power generation proposal several discussion raised because of some waterways values. Drain and ditches were one...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 21:03, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux@...> wrote: > > Regarding ditch, it regards both useful and waste wate...
The confusion is mainly in the difference between irrigation canals vs irrigation ditches and drainage diches vs drains. In practice wide irri...
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 23:28, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > The confusion is mainly in the difference between irrigation ...
Graeme, I like the definitions you posted but why add "channel" to the list? When I think of a channel I think of a shipping lane or a ...
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 10:28, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout@...> wrote: > > Although the 1st definition sort of agrees with your ...
On 16/01/19 11:53, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote: > > On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 10:28, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout@... > <mailto:dave...
sent from a phone > On 16. Jan 2019, at 10:39, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > No need to introduce any new tags. ...
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 13:40, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > ditch - Small artificial free flow waterways used for irrig...
> > The question that still remains is: what does "small" and "large" mean? I daresay there is no way and no need to...
Same here. Drains we don't have that much (almost none), but many many ditches of all sizes ('sloot') and canals of all sizes ('vaart', 'gracht',...
When drain and ditch were originally introduced, was it supposed to differentiate them in size? If you read the current definitions closely you ...
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 at 10:37, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > When drain and ditch were originally introduced, was it suppo...
How to we proceed with this topic? Should a proposal be created or the wiki pages can be updated straight away by someone or myself based on this...
Le 29.01.19 à 16:13, Eugene Podshivalov a écrit : > How to we proceed with this topic? Should a proposal be created or the > wiki pages c...
Here is a summary of the discussion to check if there is a consensus. Current definitions of artificial waterways are unclear and ambiguous. So...
Hi Eugene Thanks for your summary! [^1] I'm in favour of the proposed definitions and would welcome if the clarifications regarding size you made...
Hi Markus, I find your amendments great. Cheers, Eugene чт, 31 янв. 2019 г. в 20:29, Markus <selfishseahorse@...>: > Hi Eugene...
Yes, great descriptions! My only marginal objection is for canal: why don't you ditch (pun intended...) the "/used to carry useful water f...
It appears in the descriptions that a 'ditch' can be used as a 'drain'. So why have a tag 'drain'? The only differences I have between canal ...
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 11:51, Warin <61sundowner@...> wrote: > It appears in the descriptions that a 'ditch' can be used as a 'drain'. ...
If you think it is important to differentiate between lined vs. unlined minor waterways (/and I'm not objecting to that/), I guess the best option...
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 22:09, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > If you think it is important to differentiate between lined vs. unlined ...
I'm pretty sure that's the case in UK, but are you willing to bet on all drains (/e.g. industrial/) of the world being lined? On 2019-02-01 23:...
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 22:29, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > I'm pretty sure that's the case in UK, but are you willing to bet on all ...
Right in these days you can read in the Italian newspapers of an industry having contaminated with industrial sewage an area inhabited by 300.000....
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 22:43, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > So, how do you tag drains which are not lined? > Ditch. Because,...
Please point me to a dictionary defining "drain" as a "lined ditch" or in any way stating that a drain must be lined, because ...
Dictionary.com usually provides definitions in American English, so it wouldn’t be a good source. On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 8:35 AM Sergio Manzi ...
I know, that's why I asked for a good one... On 2019-02-02 01:23, Joseph Eisenberg wrote: > Dictionary.com usually provides definitions in ...
My copy of the Oxford English Dictionary has about a page of definitions for "ditch" and "drain", and not a hint that either ...
Thank-you for confirming that, Mark. Personally I think we, in OSM, should stop with this folly of overloading English words with meanings they...
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 11:21, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > > Thank-you for confirming that, Mark. > > Personally I think we, i...
+1 N > On 2 Feb 2019, at 10:39 pm, Markus <selfishseahorse@...> wrote: > >> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 11:21, Sergio Manzi <smz...
If we were discussing a proposal I would agree, but replacing waterway=drain by waterway=ditch + usage=drainage or sth. like that is not such an...
If there is a drain worth mapping, I will map it as a drain. If the drain has the form of a ditch and I can see its only function is to be a dra...
Not all ditches can be called drains and not all drains can be called ditches and there is some overlapping in their meanings which causes the c...
Short summary of what we have ended up with so far. --------- *Variant #1* Keep both "drain" and "ditch" tags but update th...
On 10.02.2019 14:57, Eugene Podshivalov wrote: > [...} > *Variant #2* > Combine "ditch" and "drain" tags into one....
I'm not in favour of combining ditch and drain. My mind sees a ditch as a dug-out stream which may flow into a stream or flow into a drain, the ...
On 19/02/19 21:21, Tony Shield wrote: > > I'm not in favour of combining ditch and drain. My mind sees a ditch > as a dug-out stream ...
ср, 20 февр. 2019 г. в 02:30, Warin <61sundowner@...>: > On 19/02/19 20:40, Eugene Podshivalov wrote: > > Canals and ditches a...
The primary concern of mine about the current definitios of drain and ditch is that some people are differentiating them by size. Since there is...
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 20:48, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > The primary concern of mine about the current definitios of d...
On 23.02.2019 00:09, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote: > [...] > =drain: Use waterway=drain for artificial waterways, typically lined with concre...
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 17:19, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer@...> wrote: > > Irrigate with drains? This was the original question of the w...
On 23.02.2019 18:47, Paul Allen wrote: > [...] As I see it, ditches are unlined. [...] I googled for "ditch lining irrigation" an...
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 23:33, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer@...> wrote: > On 23.02.2019 18:47, Paul Allen wrote: > > [...] As I see i...
вс, 24 февр. 2019 г. в 02:56, Paul Allen <pla16021@...>: > Yes, we can merge the tags and have drain for both. I'm still wondering ...
This will not suit the situation in Nederland, as explained earlier in this thread. We would have tons of exceptions on all the ‘ usually’s’ and ‘...
пн, 11 февр. 2019 г. в 19:19, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer@...>: > This would require to deprecate "drain" and remove it from the ...
There are a lot of straightened rivers and streams all over the world. Would it make sense to tag the straightened sections as canal/ditch/drain ...
Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019 um 19:41 Uhr schrieb Eugene Podshivalov < yaugenka@...>: > There are a lot of straightened rivers and streams a...
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 19:50, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist@...> wrote: > > > Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019 um 19:41 Uhr schrieb ...
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 06:11, Paul Allen <pla16021@...> wrote: > On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 19:50, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist@.....
Any river starts as a waterway=stream which is some kind of a wooden leg, isn't it? Cheers, Eugene вт, 19 февр. 2019 г. в 01:31, Graeme Fi...
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 22:50, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > Any river starts as a waterway=stream which is some kind of a...
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 09:23, Paul Allen <pla16021@...> wrote: > > According to a sketch in a comedy show from so long ago I can b...
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 23:30, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1@...> wrote: > > On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 09:23, Paul Allen <pla160...
Canals and ditches are artificial channels carrying naturual water, so are the channels of a straightened river or stream. imho there is not dif...
On 19/02/19 20:40, Eugene Podshivalov wrote: > Canals and ditches are artificial channels carrying naturual water this suggests there is 'unn...
Off topic - Re: Drain vs ditch – On 19/02/19 10:39, Paul Allen wrote: > On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 23:30, Graeme Fitzpatrick > <graemefitz1@... <mailto:graemefitz1@...&...
*a wooden head*, to be more precise ) Cheers, Eugene вт, 19 февр. 2019 г. в 01:48, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...>: > Any riv...
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 14:23, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer@...> wrote: > > If we were discussing a proposal I would agree, but replacing >...
sent from a phone > On 2. Feb 2019, at 18:22, Markus <selfishseahorse@...> wrote: > > While i'm unsure that a mass edit is wort...
I have no objection to remove the lined/unlined characteristic from the definitions but am not sure about leaving just one tag for both "dit...
On Sat, Feb 02, 2019 at 12:22:01AM -0800, Mark Wagner wrote: > > My copy of the Oxford English Dictionary has about a page of > definiti...
There are two cases when I'm in doubt when choosing between "drainage ditch" and "drain". 1. https://upload.wikimedia.org...
The direct images got blocked. So here are the links. Drainage ditches: https://ak2.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/32964022/thumb/12.jpg https...
Here are some pictures to make the difference between drainage ditches and drain clear. Drainage ditches: [image: image.png] [image: image.png...
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 22:37, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > Here are some pictures to make the difference between drainage...
On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:22:30PM +0000, Paul Allen wrote: > On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 22:09, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > > > ...
To map drains that are not ditches? Mvg Peter Elderson > Op 1 feb. 2019 om 02:50 heeft Warin <61sundowner@...> het volgende geschreven:...
On 01.02.2019 02:50 Warin wrote: > It appears in the descriptions that a 'ditch' can be used as a > 'drain'. So why have a tag 'drain'? ...
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 02:51, Warin <61sundowner@...> wrote: > > It appears in the descriptions that a 'ditch' can be used as a 'drain'...
Ciao Sergio, On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 23:46, Sergio Manzi <smz@...> wrote: > > My only marginal objection is for canal: why don't you d...
Those descriptions look good On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 5:58 PM Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > Here is a summary of the dis...
ср, 30 янв. 2019 г. в 13:02, Warin <61sundowner@...>: > Large means? > Small means? > > To me I'd use small = I can step o...
Large means? Small means? To me I'd use small = I can step over it, large means I cannot step over it .. so ~1.1 metres is the line between ...
Sounds good, Eugene. I like those descriptions. On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 4:41 PM Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > =drain ...
At what size is it that a ditch turns into a drain? Vr gr Peter Elderson Op di 15 jan. 2019 om 14:28 schreef Eugene Podshivalov <yaugen...
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 15:22, Peter Elderson <pelderson@...> wrote: > At what size is it that a ditch turns into a drain? > The...
> On Jan 15, 2019, at 7:28 AM, Paul Allen <pla16021@...> wrote: > > On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 15:22, Peter Elderson <pelderson...
We Dutch are born tall and shrink after puberty, so we'll have to resort to age and maturity. In contrast, our drains and ditches (sloten en sloo...
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 16:11, Tod Fitch <tod@...> wrote: I assume “line the boy with concrete” to mean “line the ditch with > concret...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux@...> wrote: > > Then we'll obtain waterway=canal for artificial wat...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:01:47PM +0100, François Lacombe wrote: > > Currently, both canal and drain refer to structure and usage also. &g...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:03:29AM -0800, Tod Fitch wrote: > Most of what I’d call a drain around here would be large underground pipes designe...
Some of them can also be designed to be pressurised while canals are all open flow waterways. Then waterway=pressurised applies for pipes or tun...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:20:49PM +0100, François Lacombe wrote: > I doubt a lot about mandatory navigability of canals. > What about water...
Hi Le sam. 12 janv. 2019 à 11:26, ael <law_ence.dev@...> a écrit : > As other have implied, these are not called canals in UK Engli...
In Belarus we have many canals which redirect part of a river flow into another river and they are much larger than ditches but are not navigable...
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 07:09, ael <law_ence.dev@...> wrote: > On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:03:29AM -0800, Tod Fitch wrote: > > Mo...
On 11 January 2019 22:19:33 GMT, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1@...> wrote: > >Aren't mills usually fed from *"The Old Mill St...
пт, 11 янв. 2019 г. в 18:30, Markus <selfishseahorse@...>: > Hi! > I can't find any information – neither on the English wiki nor ...
There is an abandoned proposal https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Ditch titled "Drainage/Irrigation Ditch" and the G...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 17:24, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer@...> wrote: > > and the German page > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:T...
sent from a phone > On 11. Jan 2019, at 17:45, Markus <selfishseahorse@...> wrote: > > A wiki page in non-English language shou...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 16:42, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > Markus, you can find that in the "How to Map" sec...
> > I propose to delete that proposal from the wiki as it contradicts the > definition of waterway=ditch. I don't think we should de...
A survey of international and some national lexicons indicates that the two terms 'ditch' and 'drain' are equivalent used in the context of liqui...
sent from a phone > On 3. Feb 2019, at 02:12, Michael Patrick <geodesy99@...> wrote: > > and 'drain_open' or some such to disti...
> > пн, 4 февр. 2019 г. в 02:55, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist@... > >: > there is established tagging for buried man mad...
sent from a phone On 10. Feb 2019, at 13:28, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: >> (tunnel=culvert and man_made=pipeli...
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:28:00 +0300 Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > > > пн, 4 февр. 2019 г. в 02:55, Martin Koppenh...
Michael, thank you very much for such in-depth analysis. I would conclude the following from it. There are distinctions between these two term...
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 10:53, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > There are distinctions between these two terms, otherwis...
вс, 3 февр. 2019 г. в 16:38, Paul Allen <pla16021@...>: > Yes, we could switch to calling them all drains and then adding > lined=...
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:40 AM Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > > Hi all, > Can anyone please explain the difference be...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 06:03, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis@...> wrote: The wiki page you link to defines a ditch as "An small artificial f...
> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis@...> wrote: > > was always under the impression that the ones I encou...
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Key:waterway says: - drain is for rain or industrial water ("Abwassergraben") -> may be was...
How about the following definitions? drain - an artificial free flow waterway typically lined with concrete or similar used for carrying storm w...
Ditches are also used to drain excess water. In the USA we have irrigation ditches in dry areas and drainage ditches in wet areas. Britain ...
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 3:49 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg@...> wrote: > Ditches are also used to drain excess water. > ...
> On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:49 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg@...> wrote: > > Ditches are also used to drain excess water....
пт, 11 янв. 2019 г. в 02:50, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg@...>: > Ditches are also used to drain excess water. > > In th...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 10:11, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka@...> wrote: > If you use "ditch" for both land irrigation and dra...
On 10/01/2019 23:39, Eugene Podshivalov wrote: > But the Russian wiki says that irrigation waterways should be tagged > as drains. OSM u...