Dual Named Roads

Neil Penman
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a standard approach to roads that have two names.  That is the street name in a town and the name of the highway that runs through the town.  I found an example in Yass that seems to work well.  "Yass Valley Highway:Comur Street".  Is this a recognised standard approach to this problem?

Regards

Neil Penman

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.

Re: Dual Named Roads

Matt White-2
Neil Penman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was a standard approach to roads that have
> two names.  That is the street name in a town and the name of the
> highway that runs through the town.  I found an example in Yass that
> seems to work well.  "Yass Valley Highway:Comur Street".  Is this a
> recognised standard approach to this problem?

I think it's a semi colon to separate... but I might be mistaken

Matt

Re: Dual Named Roads

Cameron-34
You can use things like loc_name (local name) and alt_name (alternative name.)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Naming

~Cameron

2008/12/1 Neil Penman <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a standard approach to roads that have two names.  That is the street name in a town and the name of the highway that runs through the town.  I found an example in Yass that seems to work well.  "Yass Valley Highway:Comur Street".  Is this a recognised standard approach to this problem?

Regards

Neil Penman

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.

Re: Dual Named Roads

Neil Penman
loc_name is what got me started looking at this.  Lakey boy replaced the street name for a couple of streets in Castlemaine with the names of the highway and placed the street names in loc_name.  However my reading of the wiki is that alt_name and loc_name are non official names by which a street might be referred to and I don't believe they will be rendered by Mapnik or Osmarender.  So for example in Castlemaine your address might be Baker Street, Castlemaine.   Its not going to be Midland Highway, Castlemaine even though the Midland Highway uses Baker street as it passes through.  Any printed map of the town, should in my opinion show the street as Baker Street not Midland Highway

Regards

Neil

Re: Dual Named Roads

Cameron-34
When routing over a long distance, you probably want to avoid: straight on Interstate Highway, straight on Main Street, straight on Interstate Highway, straight on Main Road, straight on Interstate Highway, etc.

But when routing locally, you probably want to have the local name of the street.

Perhaps -
name: Baker Street
alt_name or reg_name: Midland Highway

[...]

Ben Kelley-4
Yes it is a semi-colon.

Yass Valley Highway;Comur Street.

I have a fridge magnet at home from Video 56 in Comur Street (long closed). :)

 - Ben.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Matt White <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it's a semi colon to separate... but I might be mistaken

Matt

Re: Dual Named Roads

Neil Penman
Thanks Matt, Ben, my eyes must be failing me.   This approach so far seems the best although it is a bit of a compromise.

Regards Neil

Re: Dual Named Roads

Neil Penman
Good point.  We do need a convention that the routing engines can follow.  alt_name, reg_name, nat_name, loc_name etc don't seem to be the solution as per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name.  Relations would seem to be a good approach as you can easily link up streets and roads to form a route.

Regards

Neil