Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Geoffrey Kateregga
Magnitude 5.7 earthquake hits Tanzania and Uganda, 12 people reported dead, hundreds injured http://earthquake-report.com/2016/09/10/strong-earthquake-lake-victoria-region-on-september-10-2016/

--

Geoffrey Kateregga
Mobile: +256 702 813 228
Skype: geoffrey5142

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap
for Humanitarian Response
& Economic Development

Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Russell Deffner

Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and economic impact was relatively low.

Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.

=Russ

Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Laura O'Grady
As a supplement to the current resources being used I recommend checking out, "The EarthQuakeGuy" (https://www.reddit.com/user/theearthquakeguy) and some of the subreddits he moderates:

On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and economic impact was relatively low.

Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.

=Russ

Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Luswata David
Hi Geoffrey and all, thanks for sharing.

Geoffrey what else do we know especially on-ground impact, any new information available?

Thanks,

David.

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]> wrote:
As a supplement to the current resources being used I recommend checking out, "The EarthQuakeGuy" (https://www.reddit.com/user/theearthquakeguy) and some of the subreddits he moderates:

On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and economic impact was relatively low.

Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.

=Russ

Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Geoffrey Kateregga
Thank you Russel and Laura for sharing the resources.

@David, At the moment we are in touch with the Tanzania Red Cross who have done a preliminary assessment of the situation on ground (see attachment). They have also expressed great need for maps as they would be of great use in their efforts.

The local OSM Communities in Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania are also shown great interest and are ready to map if do an activation for the affected area.

Geoffrey.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Luswata David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Geoffrey and all, thanks for sharing.

Geoffrey what else do we know especially on-ground impact, any new information available?

Thanks,

David.

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]> wrote:
As a supplement to the current resources being used I recommend checking out, "The EarthQuakeGuy" (https://www.reddit.com/user/theearthquakeguy) and some of the subreddits he moderates:

On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and economic impact was relatively low.

Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.

=Russ

Re: [activation hotosm] Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Blake Girardot
I will set up a Tasking Manager project for roads as a first project.

I am reviewing the area now.

>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Earthquakes/
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/EarthquakeWatch/
>>>

>>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS:
>>> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they
>>> often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and
>>> economic impact was relatively low.
>>>
>>> Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.
>>>
>>> =Russ

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM
Imagery is mostly not good for the epicenter area. mix of cloud
covered or low-res land sat only.

Existing mapping looks like about 50-75% of roads are mapped over the
main ring from USGS.

attached is the inner 5.5 ring from USGS and the next ring out.

still looking

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
President, HOT Board of Directors
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]

Nsunga Tanzania Quake.geojson (32K) Download Attachment
Nsunga Tanzania Quake.osm (29K) Download Attachment

Re: [activation hotosm] Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM

The folks on the ground in Tanzania and Uganda have the initial
project up on the Tasking Manager.

http://tasks.hotosm.org/

It is roads only at this time, but they will be putting up a Bukoba
buildings only project shortly.

Additional or higher priority areas of concern or AoI's as we call
them, may be coming as they get more feedback from the responding
agencies.

As you may have seen, additional imagery is also being sourced at this
time, please use a mix of mapbox and Bing to try and find the best
imagery you can.

Regards and thank you for helping map!

Buildings only mapping coming soon, please check back and check the
instructions often, as early in the process like this, the folks on
the ground need to refine their priorities and then we need to change
our priorities to support them as best we can.

Blake

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
President, HOT Board of Directors
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will set up a Tasking Manager project for roads as a first project.
>
> I am reviewing the area now.
>
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Geoffrey Kateregga
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you Russel and Laura for sharing the resources.
>>
>> @David, At the moment we are in touch with the Tanzania Red Cross who have
>> done a preliminary assessment of the situation on ground (see attachment).
>> They have also expressed great need for maps as they would be of great use
>> in their efforts.
>>
>> The local OSM Communities in Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania are also shown
>> great interest and are ready to map if do an activation for the affected
>> area.
>>
>> Geoffrey.
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Luswata David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Geoffrey and all, thanks for sharing.
>>>
>>> Geoffrey what else do we know especially on-ground impact, any new
>>> information available?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> David.

Just a quick mapping update:

We continue on the plan of building up the road network over the large
impact area of the quake, this is a roads only project.

But as Geoffrey and David continue their coordination work on the
ground, which is notoriously difficult in the first days of any
crisis, we are also detailed mapping the population areas outward from
the epicenter.

There is now a Buildings Only mapping project on the Tasking Manager
this is focused around the epicenter. This is very easy mapping,
buildings are well spaced and imagery is good.

Special thank you to Ralph Aytoun who identified much better imagery
than we had available in the standard layer, DigitalGlobe who
immediately authorized HOT/OSM to use it for this crisis and Mapbox
who is hosting it.

As always in crisis mapping, please check the project's instructions
and main page of the Tasking Manager often as priorities and mapping
projects are expected to be adjusted as more information about map
data needs comes in.

Please help spread the word:
https://twitter.com/hotosm/status/775023003658838017

Regards,
Blake

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Russel and Laura for sharing the resources.
>
> @David, At the moment we are in touch with the Tanzania Red Cross who have
> done a preliminary assessment of the situation on ground (see attachment).
> They have also expressed great need for maps as they would be of great use
> in their efforts.
>
> The local OSM Communities in Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania are also shown
> great interest and are ready to map if do an activation for the affected
> area.
>
> Geoffrey.
>

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Luswata David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Geoffrey and all, thanks for sharing.
>>
>> Geoffrey what else do we know especially on-ground impact, any new
>> information available?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David.
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> As a supplement to the current resources being used I recommend checking
>>> out, "The EarthQuakeGuy" (https://www.reddit.com/user/theearthquakeguy) and
>>> some of the subreddits he moderates:
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/StormComing/
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Earthquakes/
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/EarthquakeWatch/
>>>

>>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS:
>>> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they
>>> often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and
>>> economic impact was relatively low.
>>>
>>> Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.
>>>
>>> =Russ

Leonard Ouma
I keep getting this error when I try to use the DG imagery. What could I be ding wrong? Bing Imagery displays OK, apart from the issue with the clouds.

Kind Regards,

Leonard Ouma | GIS | RS | Engineering Surveyor | Skype: @leoouma | +254726451403 |

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you Russel and Laura for sharing the resources.
>
> @David, At the moment we are in touch with the Tanzania Red Cross who have
> done a preliminary assessment of the situation on ground (see attachment).
> They have also expressed great need for maps as they would be of great use
> in their efforts.
>
> The local OSM Communities in Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania are also shown
> great interest and are ready to map if do an activation for the affected
> area.
>
> Geoffrey.
>

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Luswata David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Geoffrey and all, thanks for sharing.
>>
>> Geoffrey what else do we know especially on-ground impact, any new
>> information available?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David.
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> As a supplement to the current resources being used I recommend checking
>>> out, "The EarthQuakeGuy" (https://www.reddit.com/user/theearthquakeguy) and
>>> some of the subreddits he moderates:
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/StormComing/
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Earthquakes/
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/EarthquakeWatch/
>>>

>>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Russell Deffner <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Geoffrey and all, here is the PAGER from USGS:
>>> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager – they
>>> often change, so when I was looking their estimates for fatalities and
>>> economic impact was relatively low.
>>>
>>> Copied Activation WG in case there is a need to stand up a team.
>>>
>>> =Russ

Hi Leonard,

I'm not sure if this is an error. Did you click on "ok"? It's in the dialogue box 'information about this layer' on the screen image you provided.

Laura