Editing US National Parks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Editing US National Parks

Alan Bragg
I've been tinkering with western section of Acadia National Park in Maine where I've often visited. 

This led me to the discover the NP Mapping page which explains how their database and OSM interface.
I now add the hash tag #parktiles to my changesets.

I read that it was ok for me to adjust the boarder of the park which are sloppy. I started by aligning a segment of the shore line with Bing and used that segment to replace the segment from the boarder relation.
 
I set up routes for the trails so they now appear in  Waymarked Trails.

There's still lot of work to do; in just this one section of the park there are 16 serious errors and 2,246 warnings according to the JOSM Validator. Many are due to old and duplicated imported data. Anyone want to help?

I also found Chimani, a free app based on OSM that works off-line and has the content of a good sized guide book. 

Alan Bragg


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing US National Parks

Mike Thompson


On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Alan Bragg <[hidden email]> wrote:

This led me to the discover the NP Mapping page which explains how their database and OSM interface.
From the above page: "Park Tiles is currently pulling many feature types from OpenStreetMap, although we are in the process of replacing this data with data from our Places system." - does this mean that the Park Service will be replacing the data in OSM with their data, or that in the future the "Park Tiles" will be generated from the "Places System"? I heard someone associated with the Park Service recently state "we are going to push our data into OSM and lock it down." Although this doesn't make any sense (I don't think there is any technical means to "lock down" any data in OSM, and if there were, I don't think the community would stand for it), it did concern me greatly.

Mike


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing US National Parks

Clifford Snow

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
From the above page: "Park Tiles is currently pulling many feature types from OpenStreetMap, although we are in the process of replacing this data with data from our Places system." - does this mean that the Park Service will be replacing the data in OSM with their data, or that in the future the "Park Tiles" will be generated from the "Places System"? I heard someone associated with the Park Service recently state "we are going to push our data into OSM and lock it down." Although this doesn't make any sense (I don't think there is any technical means to "lock down" any data in OSM, and if there were, I don't think the community would stand for it), it did concern me greatly.

From past conversations with NPS employees I've learned that NPS is using a modified version of the iD editor. Changesets from that editor are uploaded to both OSM and NPS. The OSM data is added to our database while the NPS feed is sent to be validated before being added to NPS data. 

Read the article [1] on NPS website for a better description of the process.


Clifford


--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing US National Parks

Mike Thompson


On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Clifford Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:


From past conversations with NPS employees I've learned that NPS is using a modified version of the iD editor. Changesets from that editor are uploaded to both OSM and NPS. The OSM data is added to our database while the NPS feed is sent to be validated before being added to NPS data. 

Read the article [1] on NPS website for a better description of the process.


I don't have any objection to what is in the blog post, and it sounds like a great program. Perhaps the person with whom I was having the discussion was referring to their copy of OSM when they said "lock down", which they are free to do.

"nps:verified=yes" may prove problematic for them as anyone is free to modify an element with that tag and not remove the tag. From an overall OSM perspective, other than taking up some DB space, I don't think it hurts.

Mike

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing US National Parks

Lawlis, Chad
Hi everyone,

Chad from NPMap here. Sorry for the confusion on this - that blog post is from 2013 and admittedly it is outdated at this point. The "Improve Park Tiles" page is a bit outdated as well, in light of a recent Park Tiles release, but we plan on updating it here soon.

So, to clarify. NPS does use a modified version of the iD Editor, what we call Places Editor, but this does not pull data in from or push data out to OpenStreetMap. The Places database is internal to NPS, with data uploaded only by NPS employees, and it feeds directly into Park Tiles. While the previous version of Park Tiles, 2.1, rendered Places points of interest on top of OSM basemap data (roads, trails, buildings, parking, etc), the latest version of Park Tiles, 3, shows only Places data inside of park boundaries and defaults to OpenStreetMap data outside of park boundaries.

The {"nps:verified":"yes"} tag was a concept back in 2013, at the time of the blog post being referenced, but it is not something we are currently implementing or are planning to implement any time soon. At this point we are not importing data from Places into OpenStreetMap, though this is something we are interested in exploring in collaboration with the community down the road.

Take a look at our more recent blog posts here https://www.nps.gov/npmap/blog/ for more up to date information on all of this. We hope to release more up to date documentation soon as well.

Best,
Chad

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Clifford Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:


From past conversations with NPS employees I've learned that NPS is using a modified version of the iD editor. Changesets from that editor are uploaded to both OSM and NPS. The OSM data is added to our database while the NPS feed is sent to be validated before being added to NPS data. 

Read the article [1] on NPS website for a better description of the process.


I don't have any objection to what is in the blog post, and it sounds like a great program. Perhaps the person with whom I was having the discussion was referring to their copy of OSM when they said "lock down", which they are free to do.

"nps:verified=yes" may prove problematic for them as anyone is free to modify an element with that tag and not remove the tag. From an overall OSM perspective, other than taking up some DB space, I don't think it hurts.

Mike



--

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us