Editing kickoff Australia&New Zealand

Horea Meleg

Hi everyone!

This is Horea and I am part of the mapping team at Telenav.

To make OpenStreetMap more navigable and accurate in guidance, our mapping team is planning to start editing in Australia/New Zealand.

Starting this January until June we will focus on road geometry, road name, oneways, signpost, speed limit, lanes and turn lanes in Auckland, Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

This is where you come in! Beside the general OSM mapping guidelines (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Road_Tagging), do you have any local mapping guidelines for us? Also, we appreciate any hints regarding available local or government data (besides https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue) that we might be able to us.

We'd love any input and advice!

If you have any questions or comments, please let me/us know. Also, more details about our work and plans can be found on Github Repository and Telenav Wiki Page. We will announce specific editing projects on our Github at least two weeks in advance.

Our team members are also on the Maptime Oceania Slack, so we can be reached there too.

Thanks!

Re: Editing kickoff Australia&New Zealand

Warin
On 04/01/19 18:07, Horea Meleg wrote:

[...]

For the ACT/Canberra the NSW LPI Base Map is usefull for road names and the NSW LPI Imagery may have better detail than other imagery.

Go easy - we drive on the correct side of the road - the left, clockwise around roundabouts too.

PS on the wiki page you have some details about 4WD roads.

Note that some long lengths of 4WD roads In South Australia are not council roads - so they have no real government data.

And some of these roads are now access=permit, say ~600 miles of them.

Government data for 4WD? That might include the shorter length roads .. most of 'us' are not too interested in those as they lead nowhere.

Possibly the government includes 'unpaved' as 4WD where most of us are comfortable in a 2WDvehicle ..with a little ground clearance on these roads.