Editing signposts in Australia

Ioana Moldovan - (p)

Hi everyone!

This is Ioana and I am part of the mapping team at Telenav.

To make OpenStreetMap more navigable and accurate in guidance, our mapping team is planning to start editing signposts in Australia. We have done some research regarding the tagging guidelines and came across a few cases that we would like to hear your opinion about.

  1. We observed that the non-alphanumeric highway shields (eg. NR, NH, S) do not appear as information at destination:ref but rather at destination:network (Perth and Brisbane) and network (rest of country). For example, please take a look at the signpost tags of the motorway_link from -37.7150366, 144.8349989 (https://openstreetcam.org/details/1314639/589/track-info ). It has the following tags of interest:

    network=S
    ref=40

    According to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Destination_details, we would join them into destination:ref=S40. What do you think about adding the ref number that appears on signpost in this format?
  2. Also, please take a look here: -32.0463458, 115.8528017 (https://www.mapillary.com/app/?focus=photo&pKey=rW9JCy0hWN4nmwQK0pVHAg&lat=-32.04644444444444&lng=115.85319444444444&z=17). We would add the information from this signpost on the motorway_link from OSM as following:

    destination:ref=NR1;S2
    destination=Perth City

    What do you think about this format? How would you add Fwy NORTH in OSM as it is not a specific destination:street but a cardinal direction?

    Looking forward for your opinions!

    Best wishes,
    Ioana