Elevated housing estate

Graeme Fitzpatrick
How do you tag an area, in this case an entire housing estate!, that is raised up above ground level?

(with the usual not mapping from Google ...)

Just draw the outline of the area & tag it as level=1?

which is ok, but should all the internal roads also be marked as bridges?

Thanks

Graeme

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 at 11:20, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is the whole ground level a parking lot or parking structure, perhaps?

No.

It's built right beside a Creek, on a flood-plain (yeah, thanks Council!), so it's done like that so that the apartments are up away from the water the next time the Creek floods!

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Elevated housing estate

add location=overhead on buildings and other objects?

(not sure can it be applied if entire building starts above ground level)

Certainly add also description=* tag with info what is happening here,
maybe with link to this mailing list thread.

Nov 25, 2020, 01:00 by [hidden email]:
How do you tag an area, in this case an entire housing estate!, that is raised up above ground level?

(with the usual not mapping from Google ...)

Just draw the outline of the area & tag it as level=1?

which is ok, but should all the internal roads also be marked as bridges?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Elevated housing estate

> On 25. Nov 2020, at 02:28, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's built right beside a Creek, on a flood-plain (yeah, thanks Council!), so it's done like that so that the apartments are up away from the water the next time the Creek floods!

AFAIK we do not have a specific tag for this kind of configuration. There’s the generic building:min_level to map omitted levels below the building.

Cheers Martin

Re: Elevated housing estate

Alan Mackie
This probably isn't too far off from many of the larger man_made=pier structures in resort towns, although it lacks the water underneath most of the time. Would man_made=bridge be appropriate for the surrounding area?

I think this is becomming fairly common in some flood prone areas, so dedicated tagging seems like a good idea, both for the usually dry situation, and for buildings that sit over water but don't even have vestigial mooring areas.

The wiki lists building=stilt_house, but this seems overly specific. Whether a building is tagged as being on stilts should be independent of building use IMO. Regardless in this case min_level=1 seems about right to me to denote the absence of a ground floor.

-Alan

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 at 06:34, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
add location=overhead on buildings and other objects?

(not sure can it be applied if entire building starts above ground level)

Certainly add also description=* tag with info what is happening here,
maybe with link to this mailing list thread.

Nov 25, 2020, 01:00 by [hidden email]:
How do you tag an area, in this case an entire housing estate!, that is raised up above ground level?

(with the usual not mapping from Google ...)

Just draw the outline of the area & tag it as level=1?

which is ok, but should all the internal roads also be marked as bridges?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Elevated housing estate

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Thanks everybody for your comments, but, to me, none of them really seem to cover the situation, although stilts=yes seems to come closest, although it also sounds rather strange!

Going back to my OP, I notice that I mentioned tagging the area as level=1, thinking about it, maybe that should be layer=1?

Thanks

Graeme