Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Karl-Heinz Kühnlein
Hi all,

I recently tried to add DEM data to my OSM maps for Garmin. At a first look all was fine, hill shading and 3D viewing was amazing in any case. Then I had issues that Basecamp (4.7.1) can only access elevation data when the map is on an USB stick as an image. Here elevation data is display besides the Lat/Lon for the coursor position and created tracks have elevation data.
When I generate these maps in .gmap format or install (large) maps by registry (gmaptool 0973) the DEM data seems to be included in the map, because Hill Shading as well as 3D Viewing works fine, but in Basecamp created tracks do not have elevation information and the coursor position (bottom left corner) shows only Lat/Lon but no elevation.

I created a small map (50 km radius) to figure out working with DEM data. This map works well on USB stick as image and even when installed by registry. When generated  in .gmap format it shows the mentioned issues.

I also created larger maps (whole Germany, whole Alps) which only worked with full access to elevation data on USB stick, coursor elevation displayed and track elevation data included. But same issue when installed by registry or .gmap format.

What's wrong here? Are there size limitations for DEM data? Is there a difference between image on USB and the other installation options?

Thank you for any hint to solve this issue and by the way for your great job on developing this software!

Kind Regards
Kalle

Environment: mkgmap 4398, Basecamp 4.7.1
mkgmap options:  fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/02_run_mkgmap.bat
style/typ:           fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/kk-style.7z
maps:           fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/KK_MiFra_DEM.gmap.7z
                      fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/kk_MiFra_DEM.img

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Kalle,

welcome to the list!
Your *.bat doesn't show how you create the gmapi format. If you just add --gmapi to the options in 02_run_mkgmap.bat  I see no reason for a problem presuming that all *.hgt files are found.
You describe a problem that I've only seen when DEM tiles are calculated separately, so that the tile boundaries don't match those of the other map tiles.

Does that help?

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Karl-Heinz Kühnlein
Good Morning Gerd,

thank you very much for your fast response. The gmapi format was created just by replacing the option --gmapsupp by --gmap in the script. All other options remain the same.

The point I do not understand is: Why does same data, same generation process works fine when generating an image format (--gmapsupp) but not when generating a gmapi format (--gmap). Is there a difference in indexing the DEM tiles on both formats which could cause this issue? What confuses Basecamp (and me) to correctly show Hill Shading and 3D View on gmapi format but no elevation data at cursor position and no adding of elevation data to created track points?

DEM tiles were calculated during generation by mkgmap. And yes, their boundaries do not match exactly those of the other tiles. But even this works fine with image format but not with gmapi format. And even with some missing HGT data theses areas just have an elevation of 0 on image format.

Thanks for any advice
Kalle

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Kalle,

I really don't know. I use a very similar batch file to create my map in gmapi format and I don't see these errros with my map.
I can reproduce it with your gmapi.
In my batch file I have
set demOpts=--dem=f:\srtm3_1_zip,f:\srtm3_1_comp,f:\srtm3_zip,f:\srtm3 --dem-poly=map.poly --dem-dists=4518 --dem-interpolation=bilinear --overview-dem-dist=88000

Interesting candidates are --overview-dem-dist and --dem-poly. If this doesn't help I'll try to reproduce with your options...

________________________________

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Karl-Heinz Kühnlein
Hi Gerd,
I will try the --dem-poly Option this evening and will Report ...
Thanks
Kalle

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Kalle,

try --overview-dem-dist first, it is more likely to help.

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

popej
Hi Kalle,

I have downloaded your map - KK_MiFra_DEM.gmap.7z. It really doesn't
support height profiles. The reason is that an appropriate flag in TDB
is missing. I have patched your tdb file, please replace it on your PC
and try again.

Question for Gerd: how it is possible to create a map with DEM without
setting "enableProfile == 1", see tdbformat/HeaderBlock.java .

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

osmmap.7z (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

popej
Hi,

just have realized, that option --show-profiles could remain at default
0 even when DEM are processed.

Kalle, please make sure, that you include --show-profiles=1 in mkgmap
options.

I think the default for --show-profiles could be dependent on DEM
presence. Would make less hassle.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

thanks for the hint, I totally forgot about this option. I use show-profiles=1 for my map and when I remove that I can reproduce Kalles problems.
So, it seems the description for the option is not correct. There was a long discussion here:
http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/option-show-profiles-and-DEM-tt5909983.html#a5910020

I have to reread it first.

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

in http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/option-show-profiles-and-DEM-tp5909983p5910016.html
you mention a hasDem flag. I cannot find the information have no idea where this is. Please refresh my memory.

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

popej
Hi Gerd,

I think the hasDem flag comes from mkgmap sources. I still can trace it
in changelogs:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/diff.php?repname=mkgmap&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Fuk%2Fme%2Fparabola%2Ftdbfmt%2FHeaderBlock.java&rev=4093&peg=4093

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

ah, OK, this flag was removed again with r4119:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/diff.php?repname=mkgmap&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Fuk%2Fme%2Fparabola%2Ftdbfmt%2FHeaderBlock.java&rev=4119&peg=4119

I'll dig into this again..

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Karl-Heinz Kühnlein
Hi Andrzej, Hi Gerd,

YES, --show-profiles=1 solved the problem! GREAT!

I didn't notice this option far away from the DEM options section of the documentation. I suggest to move it to the DEM option section or give a reference there.
This option might be usefull for trip planning even without DEM data if contour lines are available. But i didn't tried it yet ...

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards
Kalle

you mention a hasDem flag. I cannot find the information have no idea where this is. Please refresh my memory.

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Gerd Petermann
Hi Kalle,

good to hear. I am working on a patch for mkgmap, it seems I got something completely wrong with this flag.

There are two flags (also in gmaptool) and before r4119 mkgmap wrote a 1 in the 2nd when DEM data was available, with 4119 this changed.
The documentation for the show-profiles option was written before r4119 and is wrong since then.

It was the Adria Topo map that confused me.
It has DEM data but in flag that I thought was the hasDem flag was a 0, while the show-profile flag was 1.
So, I thought the flag cannot mean hasDem and decided to write a 0 because this was also done before mkgmap supported DEM. Stupid me!

Probable solution:
I think it was mentioned before that mkgmap probably reversed the order of the "show-profiles" flag and the hasDem flag.
I think this is true, the Adria Topo map says "I have DEM data but don't show profiles". Maybe this is because the map is not routable.

I'll have to run some more tests ...
Gerd

you mention a hasDem flag. I cannot find the information have no idea where this is. Please refresh my memory.

Gerd

you mention a hasDem flag. I cannot find the information have no idea where this is. Please refresh my memory.

Gerd

just have realized, that option --show-profiles could remain at default
0 even when DEM are processed.

Kalle, please make sure, that you include --show-profiles=1 in mkgmap
options.

I think the default for --show-profiles could be dependent on DEM
presence. Would make less hassle.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Karl-Heinz Kühnlein
Hi Gerd, Hi Andrzei,

don't be too strict to yourself! It's a REALLY GREAT JOB what you guys are doing here!

It works now for gmapi and and the registry format too. It seems that BC just ignores these flags when it finds DEM tiles in an gmapsupp-image (device or USB) and is accidentally right with that.

Next I tried was to join my map with contourlines (from https://www.kleineisel.de/blogs/htsrv/track.php?key=germany_lidar10_1812.zip) by GMapTool/gmt. This also seems to kills these flags. Probably they are not set in the contour line map, and this overrides it all? I found no option in GMapTool to force setting these flags - right?

Never mind! I'll use my images on the USB sticky until we figured this out. A bit inconvinient but still great advance for the maps.

Kalle

you mention a hasDem flag. I cannot find the information have no idea where this is. Please refresh my memory.

Gerd

Re: Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Felix Hartmann-2
oh yeah - I think if there is DEM present - routing does not matter?
Because with DEM the map will then also show profile for tracks. If a map contains DEM - I guess show-profiles should be implied.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 19:20, Felix Hartmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

my current understanding is that we have two flag regarding profiles. The first signals the existence of DEM data and the other the existence of contour lines (0x20-0x22?) in RGN.
So, there should be no need to have option --show-profiles=1 , which in fact changed the value for the first flag (hasDEM)
I try to get rid of this option.

Gerd