Examples of good paid mapping?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Examples of good paid mapping?

Michał Brzozowski
Hi all,
Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?

Michał


_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

James-2
I've been paid in the past to do mapping for someone, but I was already an active experienced osm mapper beforehand.

How to be successful:

 Listen to osm experts/community and not fight against them

Use existing tags on the wiki, don't invent your own

Verify data accuracy as much as you can, not dump data

When merging data, verify if data is older than yours, locals usually have a better sense of what buildings/pois have been demolished/exist

On Fri., Sep. 11, 2020, 3:56 p.m. Michał Brzozowski, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?

Michał

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

stevea
On Sep 11, 2020, at 1:06 PM, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been paid in the past to do mapping for someone, but I was already an active experienced osm mapper beforehand.
>
> How to be successful:
>  Listen to osm experts/community and not fight against them
>  Use existing tags on the wiki, don't invent your own
>  Verify data accuracy as much as you can, not dump data
>
> When merging data, verify if data is older than yours, locals usually have a better sense of what buildings/pois have been demolished/exist.

Great question, Michał!

I've been paid by clients to both map in OSM (so the database is consistent with my client's expectations at the same time it is "correct" according to OSM community standards) and using OSM to make a map (a map product that was included in a published book, for example).

I'm 100% in agreement with James:  listening to the greater OSM community (along WITH your client's needs) is paramount, lest your edits get redacted.  Use existing tags:  reading wiki and sampling existing data with taginfo or Overpass Turbo queries can go a long distance at researching "what is" in OSM (perhaps rather than what you might "wish to be").  If what you do can be considered an import or entering new data (most paid gigs are exactly that, while some smaller set improve existing data), DO verify accuracy on existing data to the greatest extent practical, best to do so both before and after your work.  Actively seek and implement high quality (top-level precision, thoughtful, careful, community-accepted accuracy in tagging, keeping any required / expected communication or status reporting frequently updated...) throughout the project.

Small consultancies like mine that do "paid mapping" might not seem an obvious best source to ask this, but as our answers resonate with "excellent work, pays attention to quality..." we really do "lead by example," however minor our efforts may seem.  Bigger companies and tech giants that use or intend to use OSM:  please respect our community (and its standards and practices) first and foremost.  You are welcome — though, everybody appreciates respect.  As is true in many endeavors, it takes a long time and is challenging to build up a good reputation, which is easily harmed by foolish, anti-community blunders, so avoid these!  Finally, when in doubt, seek consensus:  plenty of community wants to help make a better map, but only with agreement does that happen.

SteveA


> On Fri., Sep. 11, 2020, 3:56 p.m. Michał Brzozowski, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
> Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?
>
> Michał


_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

Mikel Maron-3
In reply to this post by Michał Brzozowski
Most companies are doing well, and get along well, we just only hear about the problems. So it’s probably not this or that company to highlight, but particular mapping projects that illustrate well how it’s done.

Mikel

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 3:54 PM, Michał Brzozowski <http://www.haxor@...> 

wrote:

Hi all,
Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?

Michał

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

General Discussion mailing list
Exactly. When companies do it right nobody knows they’re doing it. 

On Sep 11, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Mikel Maron <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Most companies are doing well, and get along well, we just only hear about the problems. So it’s probably not this or that company to highlight, but particular mapping projects that illustrate well how it’s done.

Mikel

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 3:54 PM, Michał Brzozowski <http://www.haxor@...> 

wrote:

Hi all,
Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?

Michał

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 9/11/20 23:57, Bryce Cogswell via talk wrote:
> Exactly. When companies do it right nobody knows they’re doing it. 

Except that - because they do it right - they will of course have
documented their work on the wiki.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

General Discussion mailing list



12 Sep 2020, 15:42 by [hidden email]:
Hi,

On 9/11/20 23:57, Bryce Cogswell via talk wrote:
Exactly. When companies do it right nobody knows they’re doing it. 

Except that - because they do it right - they will of course have
documented their work on the wiki.
Or it was done before introducing this
requirement.

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

Oleksiy Muzalyev
In reply to this post by James-2
Good morning,

I agree that the existing tags are to be used. And they should be used correctly, as it's described in the wiki. It is applicable not only to professional but also to hobby mapping.

I think that it makes sense to survey objects before mapping by physically visiting them. During a survey one can record the GPS traces around the object of interest. It could be done with a dedicated GPS unit.

A modern GPS unit is capable to record traces for 24+ hours without interruption. So even the approaching roads (or railroads) could be traced. Having these traces in a map editor will let us see that the satellite images are aligned correctly, or to see if the satellite imagery outdated and what is not on it yet.

It is also possible to make some ground and aerial (oblique & vertical) HD  photos of the object from different angles during survey. And not only of the building itself, but also of other POIs around such as say bus or tram stops.

Having the photos from the survey would allow to add later the building levels, opening hours, bus stops names, etc. It is possible to upload the best selected photos to the Wikimedia or Flickr (after blurring vehicle registration plates and faces on them for privacy) and publish the corresponding links on the OSM map, so that other mappers can use these images too. Before uploading photos, the GPS coordinates can be added to them automatically from the recorded GPS trace.

Another big survey topic is the elevation [1]. Human settlements are usually located near water. It could be of interest to know if an object is above or below the water level of a nearby sea, lake, or river, since the risk of flood could be evaluated. However, measuring an elevation with an altimeter [2] is not as simple as it sounds, but it is doable.

My point is that the good mapping, both amateur and professional, could involve not only mapping via the satellite imagery, but also the on-the-ground surveys using such modern tools as the dedicated GPS units, ultra-light quad-copters, portable HD photo-cameras, altimeters, etc. Sometimes it is not possible to understand from the vertical satellite image, seeing only the rectangle of the roof and the shadow, what the object is exactly, how many levels it has, what additional features or services it contains. Besides, the satellite imagery in some areas could be outdated or misaligned, and a survey also helps to understand to what degree, so that we use it properly.


Have a good day!

Best regards,
Oleksiy

On 9/11/20 22:06, James wrote:
I've been paid in the past to do mapping for someone, but I was already an active experienced osm mapper beforehand.

How to be successful:

В Listen to osm experts/community and not fight against them

Use existing tags on the wiki, don't invent your own

Verify data accuracy as muchВ as you can, not dump data

When merging data, verify if data is older than yours, locals usually have a better sense of what buildings/pois have been demolished/exist

On Fri., Sep. 11, 2020, 3:56 p.m. MichaЕ‚ Brzozowski, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?

MichaЕ‚

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk



_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

elaborate? | Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

ebel
In reply to this post by General Discussion mailing list
This thread is literally a request for someone to name one of the companies that is "doing it right".

Yes, people complain more than they compliment. It's alas human nature. This thread is an attempt to correct that. So to those saying some companies do it, right: Can you please give examples?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020, at 11:57 PM, Bryce Cogswell via talk wrote:

> Exactly. When companies do it right nobody knows they’re doing it.
>
> > On Sep 11, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Mikel Maron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Most companies are doing well, and get along well, we just only hear about the problems. So it’s probably not this or that company to highlight, but particular mapping projects that illustrate well how it’s done.
> >
> > Mikel
> > On Friday, September 11, 2020, 3:54 PM, Michał Brzozowski <http://www.haxor@...> <http://www.haxor@...%3E/>
>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hi all,
> >> Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
> >> Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?
> >>
> >> Michał
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> talk mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
> > _______________________________________________
> > talk mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
>

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: elaborate? | Re: Examples of good paid mapping?

Mishari Muqbil
Hi,

So I was one of the original complainants of Grab/Global Logic mapping efforts.

It seems so far that they're doing much better now. We collaborated on a workflow that aims for zero defects and no assumptions by remote mappers.
They have a decent writeup of their methods and workflows over here:
A meta issue that tracks questions is here: https://github.com/GRABOSM/Grab-Data/issues/49

Not perfect, but big leaps in the right direction. I hope other mapping efforts will build upon it.

Best Regards
Mishari

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 3:14 PM Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:
This thread is literally a request for someone to name one of the companies that is "doing it right".

Yes, people complain more than they compliment. It's alas human nature. This thread is an attempt to correct that. So to those saying some companies do it, right: Can you please give examples?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020, at 11:57 PM, Bryce Cogswell via talk wrote:
> Exactly. When companies do it right nobody knows they’re doing it.
>
> > On Sep 11, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Mikel Maron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Most companies are doing well, and get along well, we just only hear about the problems. So it’s probably not this or that company to highlight, but particular mapping projects that illustrate well how it’s done.
> >
> > Mikel
> > On Friday, September 11, 2020, 3:54 PM, Michał Brzozowski <http://www.haxor@...> <http://www.haxor@...%3E/>
>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hi all,
> >> Do we have any examples of companies that do paid mapping (preferably at scale) and do it right?
> >> Maybe leading by example will help other mapping teams get along better with local OSM communities?
> >>
> >> Michał
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> talk mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
> > _______________________________________________
> > talk mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
>

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk