Examples of well intentioned but wrong edits?

Examples of well intentioned but wrong edits?

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson
I'm giving a lecture in a weeks time on crowd-sourcing GIS data at a
GIS-event in Iceland.

As we know OSM gets a bit of bad edits, some of them in good faith, a
very minor part vandalism. I will highlight a couple of examples just to
give people an idea of the risks but just looking at OSM itself so far
we are well ahead in risk vs reward for an open GIS dataset!

I will mention the edit boom that came with Maps.me editing feature and
have a couple of amusing examples from Iceland but would appreciate more.

Also if anyone has any statistics about vandalism ratio and other bad
edits I would love to see that.

regards,
Jóhannes
OSM Iceland

Re: Examples of well intentioned but wrong edits?

Marcos Oliveira
You might have knowledge of this already, but Worst of OSM epitomizes this. [1]

I'm giving a lecture in a weeks time on crowd-sourcing GIS data at a GIS-event in Iceland.

As we know OSM gets a bit of bad edits, some of them in good faith, a very minor part vandalism. I will highlight a couple of examples just to give people an idea of the risks but just looking at OSM itself so far we are well ahead in risk vs reward for an open GIS dataset!

I will mention the edit boom that came with Maps.me editing feature and have a couple of amusing examples from Iceland but would appreciate more.

Also if anyone has any statistics about vandalism ratio and other bad edits I would love to see that.

regards,
Jóhannes
OSM Iceland

Um Abraço,
Marcos Oliveira

Re: Examples of well intentioned but wrong edits?

pierzen
http://worstofosm.tumblr.com/  is a bit sarcastic and a bit tainted dont you think?

The first example is about power lines in Canada.  There are people that dont like imports and like to criticize efforts of canadian mappers to develop the map. Let's go further and look why we can see a power line outside of the cut where it should fit.

There are are vast nordic territories in Canada with scarce population, forest and mining industry and in some parts huge hydroelectric projects. Quite different from urbanised territorries south of Canada or in western Europe. No priority to provide imagery for these territories. Some suggest we should leave these territories blank instead of importing data. They are advocating to erase all these bad edits. I advocate for them to come and help us, really help us, not erase the map.

OSM is a complex project with the parts that not all fit well together. You have Nominatim, the Styling, the keys all biazed to reflect a certain reality, often urbanized countries of western Europe and their commerces.

We dont understand the reality of the highway networks in Africa and we dont understand the reality of such immense nordic territories. And we often have difficulty to take account to the various social and medical services or other features that reflect our social and economic activity.  If we could reflect this with a nasty picture :)

I will talk about the Quebec province that I know more and where I have intensively mapped power lines, hydroelectric power dams and substations. I have mapped carefully with Bing the James Bay hydroelectric Project reservoirs that span for hundred of kilometers, added the hundred of dams, power station and aligned the Power lines. Try to find any of these from Nominatim. Impossible. The Nominatim developpers dont see any interest to include the power key in the searches. I also prepared relations to combine power facilities related to the various reservoirs. Try to find any.  Not easy then for contributors to find these "bad edits" and repair them.

Try to find any of these through Nominatim. Or try to find any village.  North of Quebec is a vast territory, the size of Germany but where only 35,000 people people live in remote villages. Try to find these villages on the Map. Is the Mapping style adapted to such territories.  Imagery such as Bing High resolution is not available everywhere on these territories.  Does these Bad examples selection suggest we should leave blank an area the size of Germany.  Anyway it often looks blank with the mapping style since it is very hard while zooming out to have an idea of what you can find in these territories. Zooming-in you have to be quite lucky to find something.

Myself, I can live with the fact that the power line is not perfecty aligned until imagery is available. Those that prefer to use bot to spot bad edits and revert would be more useful if thy can come and help :)

As you can see, OSM is a complex system with many parts to make a great map and there are improvements that we can make in many areas. OSM is not only a mapping project.  There are various parts and we have to find ways to better match the various parts, to be able to share decisions with developpers and better reflect the various realities of this OSMPlanet.

So the slightly misalligned power line
an Example of well intentioned but wrong edit ?

regard

Pierre

De : Marcos Oliveira <[hidden email]>
À : Jóhannes Birgir Jensson <[hidden email]>