Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

LSA

Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

LSA
Hi,

I am really impressed with PostGis, and I like uDig too.

Does uDig have something like OpenJump has, i.e. execute an arbitrary
SQL query (with GIS operators) and render resultset on map?

It seems to me that uDig has only ECQL queries... Maybe some sort of
plugin can bring functionality like OpenJump has?

Thanks in advance,
Sergey

Re: Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

Mauricio Pazos

On Monday, May 30, 2011 11:07:41 AM LSA wrote:

> Hi,

> I am really impressed with PostGis, and I like uDig too.

> Does uDig have something like OpenJump has, i.e. execute an arbitrary

> SQL query (with GIS operators) and render resultset on map?

> It seems to me that uDig has only ECQL queries... Maybe some sort of

> plugin can bring functionality like OpenJump has?

Hi: you are right, opening the "Table" view you could select "CQL" as query language to write a predicate.

> Thanks in advance,

> Sergey

Mauricio Pazos

www.axios.es

LSA

Re: Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

LSA
Thats a pity, it would be convinient...

Thanks

On 30.05.2011 17:53, Mauricio Pazos wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2011 11:07:41 AM LSA wrote:

> Hi,

> I am really impressed with PostGis, and I like uDig too.

> Does uDig have something like OpenJump has, i.e. execute an arbitrary

> SQL query (with GIS operators) and render resultset on map?

> It seems to me that uDig has only ECQL queries... Maybe some sort of

> plugin can bring functionality like OpenJump has?

Hi: you are right, opening the "Table" view you could select "CQL" as query language to write a predicate.

> Thanks in advance,

> Sergey

Mauricio Pazos

www.axios.es

On Monday, May 30, 2011 12:58:40 PM LSA wrote:

> Thats a pity, it would be convinient...

Hi, maybe I was not clear. It is implemented and you can experiment with it right now!.

It is available in Table view.

cheers

--

Mauricio Pazos

www.axios.es

LSA

Re: Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

LSA
Mauricio,

unfortunatelly, this is not exactly what I need. PostGis supports SQL extension allowing to write queires like:

SELECT
ST_AsBinary(ff.geom) As wkb
FROM ch01.fastfoods As ff
WHERE EXISTS(SELECT r.gid
FROM ch01.roads As r
WHERE ST_DWithin(ff.geom, r.geom, 1609*10)
AND r.name = 'US Route 1' AND r.state = 'MD'
AND ff.franchise = 'h');

And this extension is what I need.

On the other hand, ECQL is much simpler and allows only to write quieries like:
name = 'US Route 1' AND state = 'MD'.

ECQL will not work for me, because I use OpenJump like 'visual debugger' of the SQL quieries to PostGis database and was thinking about using uDig instead.

Maybe I got you wrong, and Table view somehow allows to execute arbitrary SQL?

Cheers,
Sergey

On 30.05.2011 18:07, Mauricio Pazos wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2011 12:58:40 PM LSA wrote:

> Thats a pity, it would be convinient...

Hi, maybe I was not clear. It is implemented and you can experiment with it right now!.

It is available in Table view.

cheers

--

Mauricio Pazos

www.axios.es

Re: Execute an arbitrary SQL query against PostGIS geodatabase through uDig interface

Jody Garnett-2
They have recently added some support for direct SQL to the GeoTools library that we use. As of yet nobody has had resources to go look at how to best make use of it.

CQL can do all your spatial functions; what it does not let you do is any kind of "join" between tables. Best advice is to set up a view capturing the join; and then use uDig to show the result.

--
Jody Garnett