Export: (limit is 50000).

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi

Main Page > Export*. I'm often getting the following message:

"You requested too many nodes (limit is 50000). Either request a smaller
area, or use planet.osm"

To get within this limit the downloadable area has been greatly reduced
as more data is added to OSM, especially in urban areas.

Is this based on server & connection speeds etc? If so has it been
reviewed recently? With the increase in general computing power is there
a reason this limit could not be increased?

* I'm aware of alternatives for retrieving OSM data, but I'm inquiring
specifically about this, on the main page where the vast majority have
their initial interaction with OSM. Error messages just deter potential
contributors.

Cheers
DaveF

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

Tom Hughes-3
On 06/08/2019 14:24, Dave F via dev wrote:

> Is this based on server & connection speeds etc? If so has it been
> reviewed recently? With the increase in general computing power is there
> a reason this limit could not be increased?

Rendering custom maps is very expensive and is not really
a core part of our mission - we should probably never have
added that feature really.

Every time that call is used you are going direct to one
of the render servers whose main job is to render tiles for
the map and you're making it do a custom select from the
database just for and then render that data.

The node limit is basically about limiting the amount of
data that has to be sucked out the database and manipulated
to produce the result.

While compute power may have increased somewhat so have the
number of users hitting that endpoint...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

Developer Discussion mailing list
Why are you mentioning 'rendering'?

On 06/08/2019 14:36, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 06/08/2019 14:24, Dave F via dev wrote:
>
>> Is this based on server & connection speeds etc? If so has it been
>> reviewed recently? With the increase in general computing power is
>> there a reason this limit could not be increased?
>
> Rendering custom maps is very expensive and is not really
> a core part of our mission - we should probably never have
> added that feature really.
>
> Every time that call is used you are going direct to one
> of the render servers whose main job is to render tiles for
> the map and you're making it do a custom select from the
> database just for and then render that data.
>
> The node limit is basically about limiting the amount of
> data that has to be sucked out the database and manipulated
> to produce the result.
>
> While compute power may have increased somewhat so have the
> number of users hitting that endpoint...
>
> Tom

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

Tom Hughes-3
On 06/08/2019 14:45, Dave F via dev wrote:

> Why are you mentioning 'rendering'?

Because I thought we were talking about map exports?

I assume you meant the raw data export? That is the
standard API limit - all that export does is redirect
to the same API that JOSM etc use.

That really isn't something that I would expect
anybody much to use - if you want bulk data then
sue the planet. The API is for editors.

Again we should really never have added that to
the share tab as it just encourages people to think
that is the correct way to reuse OSM data.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

On 06/08/2019 15:06, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 06/08/2019 14:45, Dave F via dev wrote:
>
>> Why are you mentioning 'rendering'?
>
> Because I thought we were talking about map exports?

I am.
"Main Page > Export" makes *no* mention of rendering.

> I assume you meant the raw data export? That is the
> standard API limit

& I'm enquiring if that limit can be updated.

> - all that export does is redirect
> to the same API that JOSM etc use.

Yes, I've noticed the limitations of JOSM. It's one of the reasons I
don't use it as my general editor.

> That really isn't something that I would expect
> anybody much to use - if you want bulk data then
> sue the planet. The API is for editors.

I don't think anyone would expect to "bulk" download, but surely a town
or even a suburb should be acceptable?

> Again we should really never have added that to
> the share tab

Again,  the 'share tab' is something I never mentioned Why are you
reluctant to read what's in front of you?

> as it just encourages people to think
> that is the correct way to reuse OSM data.

It's up to them how the reuse the data.

DaveF

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

marc marc
Le 06.08.19 à 17:11, Dave F via dev a écrit :
>> - all that export does is redirect
>> to the same API that JOSM etc use.
> Yes, I've noticed the limitations of JOSM

josm allow to download data from overpass,
which allows a larger limit.

osm-fr had also an api proxy that redirect
some request to overpass to reduce api load
Unfortunately too few mapper was using it and it is currently offline

Re: Export: (limit is 50000).

On 06/08/2019 16:32, marc marc wrote:

> josm allow to download data from overpass,
> which allows a larger limit.

Overpass's greater capacity is one reason why I was querying OSM.org's
limitations.

Using OP to send data to JOSM for mass editing is one of the occasions I
do use it to edit. However it's usually to filter the data first.

DaveF