Extend overpass-turbo GUI with copy link as PermanentID?

Extend overpass-turbo GUI with copy link as PermanentID?

Stefan Keller
Dear Roland, all

What do you think about extending the overpass-turbo GUI with a copy
link as PermanentID [1]?
So; given a query entered at overpass-turbo until it "works", one
could go to "Export > Query" and could get a PermanentID link?

Just asking before I add this as an feature enhancement issue (and
perhaps trying to make a pull request).

:Stefan

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID

Re: Extend overpass-turbo GUI with copy link as PermanentID?

Roland Olbricht
Dear Stefan,

> What do you think about extending the overpass-turbo GUI with a copy
> link as PermanentID [1]?
> So; given a query entered at overpass-turbo until it "works", one
> could go to "Export > Query" and could get a PermanentID link?

Thank you for the suggestion.

> [...]  trying to make a pull request).

And for the implementation as well, if this is already done.

I'm not yet sure whether I understand the precise request. What works
right now is:

a) You can use the share button in Overpass Turbo.
This produces a short link. That link will work until the link database
of Overpass Turbo goes out of service. It will always refer to the query.

b) You can use the button export then tab query, to OSM wiki link.
This allow you to use a page in the wiki as place for the storage.

c) You can get the raw query, via export button then tab data, raw
query. If you restate that with "[out:custom];" in front then the
Permanent-ID mechanism is involved. No link database neede. The (without
question longish) link works directly from where you drop it.

In particular, the concept of the Permanent Id is to link almost always
to a single object; the disambiguation page is only intended as
mechanism to fail gracefully. Overpass Turbo is not at all involved in
the original and existing mechaism.

That said, a couple of intents are imaginable:

1. Replace the disambiguation page with a landing in Overpass Turbo.
That is definetly more useful. The difficult task is to deliver a
helpful landing page design in Overpass Turbo.

3. Get some kind of export that directly produces a link usable from a
web page.

3. Get some kind of export that directly produces something to copy to
the wiki. This is mostly tricky because it involves templates, and
templates are a infamous feature to many wiki activists at the moment.

Best regards,

Roland

Re: Extend overpass-turbo GUI with copy link as PermanentID?

Stefan Keller
Hi Roland

Many thanks for your precise instructions. You made me think over
again. Here's what I found with the help of Simon among others:

My goal is to get an opaque fixed length ASCII string. And that are my
design considerations:

* The OSM id alone is not stable enough (as we probably all agree);
and it can represent many concepts (and that's by design in OSM).
* The version no. of the object is needed which makes clear which tags
are (or have been originally) referred to.
* Coordinates are needed, because a change of the geometry does not
increment the version number.

So a stable Permanent-ID could have the following form:

where osm_id is left-padded with zeros to get 10 chars ("digits"), and
the coordinates have 5 fixed decimal places (which leads to a fixed
length of 33 chars).

Example: "Schloss Kyburg" (Castle Kyburg) has relation 1169711,
version #5 at coordinates 47.4584, 8.74343 which becomes following
Permanent-ID:

  R0001169711#05+47.45840+008.74343

I'm pretty sure a client software can create an Overpass "raw query"
(with "[out:custom];") as you described above.

What do you think?

:Stefan