FOSSGIS Brasil Magazine #2, includes KOSMO article

FOSSGIS Brasil Magazine #2, includes KOSMO article

Ricardo Pinho

Hi (sorry for cross-posting)

After the buzz generated by the publication of the first edition of FOSSGIS Brasil magazine, we will treat a very important subject that has everything to do with opensource geospatial technology: education.

To download the second edition of FOSSGIS-Brasil, just go to the following link:

http://fossgisbrasil.com.br/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=2

It is known that formal education in Brazil is not in it's best shape, nevertheless, many teaching and research institutions have been searching for alternatives to provide quality educational support and improve instruction for students and citizens.

Within this context, many institutions have seen in open source software, an option, since this kind of software is free of licesing fees and helps students to understand better the word "cooperation".

Following this line of thougth, this edition will address the use of open source GIS softwares in schools and universities, showing that it is possible to provide quality teaching with this type of software, as it is done in IFPB Geoprocessamento major.

We had the pleasure to interview in this edition Prof. Jorge Xavier da Silva, emeritus teacher of UFRJ and mentor of the the first 100% brazilian GIS: SAGA-UFRJ.

Still in this edition you will be able to check out articles about WKT Raster, a PostGIS alternative to storing and manipulating rasters, Quantum GIS, Kosmo GIS and the second part of the Mobile GIS article, presentend in the first edition, amongst others.

We all hope that you like this new edition, and leave out your comments on our website or facebook.

Sincerely,

FOSSGIS Brasil Team

http://www.fossgisbrasil.com.br/